How's the jail?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the jail?

Unregistered

How's the jail?

Hey everyone. I'm an officer with FDOC and i'm moving from my current location back home to hillsborough and considering the only prison near is in Polk, i am thinking of going to a sheriff's office. My question is for anyone with knowledge of the jail. What is the jail like? What are the shift hours? Is overtime available? Ect... Thank you in advance and stay safe.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm an officer with FDOC and i'm moving from my current location back home to hillsborough and considering the only prison near is in Polk, i am thinking of going to a sheriff's office. My question is for anyone with knowledge of the jail. What is the jail like? What are the shift hours? Is overtime available? Ect... Thank you in advance and stay safe.
    As much as the thought of home is great to you Id be really leery of giving up a state job for a SO where youre an essentially an at will employee. Id look real hard at what you can get at Polk schedule wise and if anyone commutes to home. Maybe a couple guys have a place to crash between days off. Aggravation? May be but it beats giving up that state job for the unknown. Also check if you can go back to the state job within so many months? Some places offer that option.

Unregistered

Go to Hillsborough or Polk SO

If you want to stay in the FRS high risk plan the best option would be to stay at DOC but if that's not possible Hillsborough or Polk are excellent choices. There is a plan in place with Pasco to explore a private company taking over jail operations. That would make you an employee of the contract company not a FRS eligible position.

Unregistered
    If you want to stay in the FRS high risk plan the best option would be to stay at DOC but if that's not possible Hillsborough or Polk are excellent choices. There is a plan in place with Pasco to explore a private company taking over jail operations. That would make you an employee of the contract company not a FRS eligible position.
    Very good advice.

Unregistered
    DOC will always take me back if I don't like the SO but working DOC for my career is not financially possible. The good about DOC is the benefits and that's it. I can't live off of 31,000 a year and i'm pretty tired and drained from working two jobs. Thanks for replying though!

Unregistered

Pasco Detention a black hole

Hillsborough is a nationally recognized agency with a Sheriff who is a first class leader not some political appointed actor.
    Their pay is awesome and their leadership is respected.

RUN the other way from Pasco... FUZKING RUN

Unregistered
    Lol, your first mistake was posting on here. Mostly Patrol deputies only look at this site and I can tell from the comments most of them are from patrol. The jail is great but not much opportunity for advancement. The rumors of the jail going private have been alive and well over 20 years now but since there are only a few private jails in the state left (since a handful of agencies took the jail back over...Hernando, Bay) It doesn't look like any jail will be going private for some time. 12 hour shifts 6-6. The majority are happy their and you will always have the haters that would get pissed off they only won 6 million from the lottery instead of 20 million. I have been their 15 years and very thankful I don't work patrol as you can see whats going on in the world with that. We just got a nice raise and you can top out in the high 60's I believe as a deputy. We are always hiring, as is every jail.

Unregistered
    Lol, your first mistake was posting on here. Mostly Patrol deputies only look at this site and I can tell from the comments most of them are from patrol. The jail is great but not much opportunity for advancement. The rumors of the jail going private have been alive and well over 20 years now but since there are only a few private jails in the state left (since a handful of agencies took the jail back over...Hernando, Bay) It doesn't look like any jail will be going private for some time. 12 hour shifts 6-6. The majority are happy their and you will always have the haters that would get pissed off they only won 6 million from the lottery instead of 20 million. I have been their 15 years and very thankful I don't work patrol as you can see whats going on in the world with that. We just got a nice raise and you can top out in the high 60's I believe as a deputy. We are always hiring, as is every jail.
    Yes youre a good little jailer. Now tell the nice man what happens when the fools in charge want to fire you as a deputy and the DOC.

And learn the difference between there and their

But if its so great why are you always hiring?

Unregistered
    Yes youre a good little jailer. Now tell the nice man what happens when the fools in charge want to fire you as a deputy and the DOC.

And learn the difference between there and their

But if its so great why are you always hiring?
    Wait what happens if the OIC want to fire a deputy????? (original poster)

Unregistered
    The jail is a fantastic place to work. Pasco is the only sheriff's office in Florida where people in patrol routinely move to detention by choice because of pay and working conditions. Every other sheriff's office has it exactly the opposite. The jail is so desirable that you'll be fighting with patrol deputies for every available opening. You're better off going to patrol first to get established and then try your luck in getting to detention.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast