Narcotics Unit - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narcotics Unit

Unregistered
    That is the most asinine statement I have heard yet. There is nothing wrong with writing a memo to the sheriff with that suggestion. You must feel threatened, and you should be. You must be one of those way past due for rotation. And it is ignorant to think the sheriff would fire anyone for making such this suggestion or any suggestion for that matter. That's your way of attempting to intimidate someone from suggesting it. Matter of fact, think I will submit it in "my blood" just despite your stupid remarks, on behalf of the o.p. See you in the pickle suit soon. The sheriff changes a lot of things based on suggestions from employees and has even rewarded those suggestions in the past. Go quiver in your boots.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    As long as you're doing your job... a lot of the narc detectives are breaking the rules because they have become too comfortable and the supervisors are overlooking it because they have become too comfortable. That's the very reason detectives should be rotated out, whether or not you are doing your job is a moot point. It's easy to talk the smack "wait your turn" when you are sitting on that side isn't it? But we both know that once you luck out getting into one of the few coveted slots the chance of another opening during ones career is slim to none. And when the senior detectives break the rules the newbies see this as being okay and they do it, (monkey see, monkey do syndrome). You didn't "wait" for anything, you happened to be in the right place at the right time and got your foot in the door, nothing more.
    If and when you get the job, would it be that you, "luck out"? I am sure if you got the job then it would be because of all your hard work and excellent skills...

How do you know the Narc guys, "lucked out" I bet they worked hard and had excellent skills and earned those spots-just like I am sure you would do IF you had the chance....

I applied for a specialty unit and did not make it...it took TEN years for me to actually land a job in that unit.
    1. When I did, I worked my butt off every single day to keep it.
    2. During that TEN years, I found other stuff to do and I worked my butt off in those units solidifying my reputation so that when that job in the unit I wanted came up, my reputation (and honestly, my seniority) helped me get it.

And even then I was not a shoe in for the job.

I know its frustrating, but don't sit around complaining, go find something to do, build your rep and what you want will come around sooner or later...

Unregistered
    If and when you get the job, would it be that you, "luck out"? I am sure if you got the job then it would be because of all your hard work and excellent skills...

How do you know the Narc guys, "lucked out" I bet they worked hard and had excellent skills and earned those spots-just like I am sure you would do IF you had the chance....

I applied for a specialty unit and did not make it...it took TEN years for me to actually land a job in that unit.
    1. When I did, I worked my butt off every single day to keep it.
    2. During that TEN years, I found other stuff to do and I worked my butt off in those units solidifying my reputation so that when that job in the unit I wanted came up, my reputation (and honestly, my seniority) helped me get it.

And even then I was not a shoe in for the job.

I know its frustrating, but don't sit around complaining, go find something to do, build your rep and what you want will come around sooner or later...

Yes, if things remain as they have for the past forty years, if I get a position in narcotics it would be because I lucked out. There is no shortage of hardworking people at this agency with stellar reputations. You have nothing on them there. And you state you were trying for A specialty unit, not narcotics which is locked up consistently. The point I think the original poster was making is there is a better chance of getting ice water in hell than getting a chance to work narcotics because of the grey haired fossils stuck out there. It would give those who do good work the opportunity, and reward them. I have been with the agency long enough to know the majority, if not all, of those slots got to people on the buddy system. Just like ERT. So how long is long enough, fifteen, twenty years, is that long enough working ones butt off to get the opportunity? I call BS.

Unregistered
    Yes, if things remain as they have for the past forty years, if I get a position in narcotics it would be because I lucked out. There is no shortage of hardworking people at this agency with stellar reputations. You have nothing on them there. And you state you were trying for A specialty unit, not narcotics which is locked up consistently. The point I think the original poster was making is there is a better chance of getting ice water in hell than getting a chance to work narcotics because of the grey haired fossils stuck out there. It would give those who do good work the opportunity, and reward them. I have been with the agency long enough to know the majority, if not all, of those slots got to people on the buddy system. Just like ERT. So how long is long enough, fifteen, twenty years, is that long enough working ones butt off to get the opportunity? I call BS.
    "Luck" is where hard work and opportunity intersect. For some people, opportunity rolls around quicker than it does for others. That's the way it is in every law enforcement agency in the country. Cry like a little ***** when you get passed over and then quit working hard because your feelings are hurt. Best way to guarantee you won't be picked when your opportunity spins around finally. Or be a disloyal little prick and go apply at another agency only to find that's how it works there too. Welcome to life.

Unregistered
    "Luck" is where hard work and opportunity intersect. For some people, opportunity rolls around quicker than it does for others. That's the way it is in every law enforcement agency in the country. Cry like a little ***** when you get passed over and then quit working hard because your feelings are hurt. Best way to guarantee you won't be picked when your opportunity spins around finally. Or be a disloyal little prick and go apply at another agency only to find that's how it works there too. Welcome to life.
    So let me "cry like a little *****" a little longer. You are still dancing around the main question. Why are detectives allowed to live out there ENTIRE careers in the narcotics section thereby preventing anyone else to enjoy that specialized unit during their ENTIRE career? Nothing was said about me or anyone else slacking off because we haven't been given the opportunity. And you can only pray that I would be a "disloyal little prick" and go to another agency. Nope I plan to keep harping on this subject til I retire. Just answer the frigging question and stop making excuses for why YOU think you should hold the position for 25 yrs!

Unregistered

news update

All this bickering over something that will never change. For the record, I don't believe someone should have a "term limit" simply so others can try something new but I do understand how people become dinosaurs once they have mastered the art mediocrity. I can tell everyone this though, if you think your reputation on the street or seniority or degree will assure you a fair shot at landing in a specialty unit, you are sadly mistaken. I've been on many specialty units throughout the agency and ill tell you how it works.

once the names are compiled of all who qualify the supervisor will hold an impromptu meeting and simply ask "who does everybody want? and there you go, that's who's getting the spot. there are a few rare instances where the chosen one is on some staff members shit list or Halman decides he wants his pick to get it but other than that, it's who the unit pre-selects. many years ago in a galaxy far far away you actually had to have a good reputation and be known for getting quality stats ( I said quality not quantity ). for those who were around when the cops positions were first created it was a coveted spot then it turned into a " hey, did you just get out of step, well you're the new cops guy/gal". So go ahead and write your memo's to the sheriff or bring it up in an interaction meeting, I'm sure corky will listen to and give a crap what the masses think. you are a dime a dozen and there's 50 applicants begging for your spot.

Unregistered
    All this bickering over something that will never change. For the record, I don't believe someone should have a "term limit" simply so others can try something new but I do understand how people become dinosaurs once they have mastered the art mediocrity. I can tell everyone this though, if you think your reputation on the street or seniority or degree will assure you a fair shot at landing in a specialty unit, you are sadly mistaken. I've been on many specialty units throughout the agency and ill tell you how it works.

once the names are compiled of all who qualify the supervisor will hold an impromptu meeting and simply ask "who does everybody want? and there you go, that's who's getting the spot. there are a few rare instances where the chosen one is on some staff members shit list or Halman decides he wants his pick to get it but other than that, it's who the unit pre-selects. many years ago in a galaxy far far away you actually had to have a good reputation and be known for getting quality stats ( I said quality not quantity ). for those who were around when the cops positions were first created it was a coveted spot then it turned into a " hey, did you just get out of step, well you're the new cops guy/gal". So go ahead and write your memo's to the sheriff or bring it up in an interaction meeting, I'm sure corky will listen to and give a crap what the masses think. you are a dime a dozen and there's 50 applicants begging for your spot.
    Whoever wrote the above has truly been around long enough to know the truth when he says "an impromptu meeting" is held where everyone gets a vote as to who, typically a buddy as stated by another poster, they want and that's how the selection is made. Not on merit, seniority or your reputation. But I feel time limits should be put on the specialty units.

Unregistered

Hang on for the ride!

Hear ye, hear ye, word on the vine is a lot of changes coming to the narc unit when Halman retires. May 2016 can't get here fast enough. 2016 is the year of change for a lot of things.

Unregistered
    Most of the dinosaurs in the special investigation section would have to be retrained since they haven't done any real work in decades. They would probably quit or retire before having to relearn everything that is required to work patrol again. Then again they would just be shoved off on some investigative unit to finish grazing. But it should get interesting if true.

Unregistered
    Clocks still ticking, the date is getting closer. Wonder how many of those narcotic panty waists, or panty wastes, are going to apply to LPD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast