Narcotics Unit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcotics Unit

Unregistered

Narcotics Unit

Why doesn't PCSO rotate narcotics officers out after a certain number of years like other major cities do. Of course a lot of those cities started the rotation process after being embarrassed by narcotics officers stealing drugs and money. But some of the PCSO officers have been in the same position for over twenty years. There are a lot of pros to rotating other than just to avoid the "friendly" thieves though. It also gives other agency members the opportunity to work the narcotics field and broaden their experience for promotions at a later time. It seems the current policy is if you lock in a position it is yours for the rest of your career which is disappointing to those who would like to at least get a taste of the field.

Unregistered

Status Quo

Don't think anyone has ever pushed for it before. But they need to start with the supervisors and everything else will crumble like a house of cards...

Unregistered
    As a supervisor, why would I want to roll someone out who is doing a great job? It doesn't really matter to me how long the have been there (as long as they are doing their job).
    Every young D/S out here in PCSO land would die to do narcs. When the senior one leaves, whoever comes in will do the job and can stay there as long as they want to (as long as they are doing their job).

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    As a supervisor, why would I want to roll someone out who is doing a great job? It doesn't really matter to me how long the have been there (as long as they are doing their job).
    Every young D/S out here in PCSO land would die to do narcs. When the senior one leaves, whoever comes in will do the job and can stay there as long as they want to (as long as they are doing their job).
    "every young deputy would die to do narcs"...not hardly

Unregistered
    Same should happen in Training. Five years and then back to law enforcement.

Unregistered
    As long as I am doing my job, why should I give to you? Why not wait, then when you do get my job, you can stay in it as long as you are doing a good job.
    In fact, that is exactly what the guys that are in those jobs now did; they waited until it was their turn and when they got their shot, they made good.

Unregistered
    As long as you're doing your job... a lot of the narc detectives are breaking the rules because they have become too comfortable and the supervisors are overlooking it because they have become too comfortable. That's the very reason detectives should be rotated out, whether or not you are doing your job is a moot point. It's easy to talk the smack "wait your turn" when you are sitting on that side isn't it? But we both know that once you luck out getting into one of the few coveted slots the chance of another opening during ones career is slim to none. And when the senior detectives break the rules the newbies see this as being okay and they do it, (monkey see, monkey do syndrome). You didn't "wait" for anything, you happened to be in the right place at the right time and got your foot in the door, nothing more.

Unregistered
    Hey Grady, how about moving some of those stale detectives out of the narc unit for some fresh blood.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey Grady, how about moving some of those stale detectives out of the narc unit for some fresh blood.
    Don't you guys have a suggestion box somewhere in that multi star accredited agency? Ten years in narcotics is way too long. It gets dangerous when you are dealing with the same dope dealers all the time.

Unregistered
    If the Sheriff thinks it's fine to do it this way, then that's the right way. If the Sheriff decides there needs to be time limits, then that's the right way. You think you know what's best but you don't know jack crap. If you believe in it so damn much, then put it in a memo and explain your position and sign your damn name to the bottom. And sign it in blood because your career will live and die with how well you can explain yourself. If you write some crybaby crap, then expect everyone to realize you're a joke. But if you write it up and it makes sense, you'll be a hero of the common working man. If you're not willing to stand up like a real man, then sit down and STFU.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast