Businesses That Refuse Service Or Benefits to LEOs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie B_an's Avatar

Lightbulb Hoping I can get some help (apologize in advance)

I am new to this forum and decided to become a part of this community since I hope to be in the field. I am a graduate student finishing up my masters in Criminal Justice with a Specialization in Legal Studies. I have a huge research paper coming up and do not have enough data. I was hoping some of you could help by completing my survey. I have attached a preview of the survey so you know what type of questions will be asked when you take the survey.

The purpose of this survey is to gather information regarding Corrections Issues and Trends from criminal justice professionals working in correctional facilities. With the collected data, I will compare textbook theory with current best practices for my research project paper. Please answer the confidential questions as honestly as possible. Thank you! I can email you the word and/or PDF file or you can take the quiz through surveymonkey. Thank you for helping a student!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WQ7HGXR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surveypreview.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	181  

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    This thread is being started in response to requests from the community to identify businesses that have refused to serve police officers. In today's racially charged climate involving citizens and police, this action by some businesses is seen by many as a nail in the coffin of public relations. It should be pointed out that if the business responds by swiftly taking action to correct the issue (i.e. firing the employee), it may not be the company's fault and just that of an isolated worker. Also, please be careful to post only FACTUAL occurrences within this thread, as there should be no undue damage to anyone's (or any business's) reputation based on something they did not do. Please include links to news stories in order to support your post when possible.
    its still a free country.

Sysop
    http://wrbl.com/2016/04/20/wendys-wo...r-co-deputies/

Wendy’s worker allegedly makes derogatory remarks to Barbour Co. deputies
    By Brennan Reh Published: April 20, 2016, 7:51 pm Updated: April 21, 2016, 12:03 pm

EUFAULA, Ala. – A local law enforcement community is angry after a deputy claims a restaurant worker made an offensive remark about them in Eufaula.

Barbour County Sheriff’s Deputy Wesley Willson went to Wendy’s for lunch Tuesday afternoon. He says he was waiting in line while another deputy was in the bathroom. While he was standing in line, Willson claims one Wendy’s employee told another employee she hated all the cops being in there.

“So I continued waiting in line and I asked her to repeat what she said and she said that she didn’t say anything and did she want to take my order and I told her at that point that she was not going to take my order and I left,” Deputy Willson explained.

Barbour County Sheriff Leroy Upshaw feels the citizens and law enforcement in Eufaula need to know what happened.

“I understand that one employee does not represent the whole company. However, when one of my officers does something I am responsible as Sheriff so, they need to look into the situation,” Sheriff Upshaw said.

The director of management services for the Eufaula Wendy’s says they are investigating exactly what happened. He tells News 3 Wendy’s is very supportive of law enforcement and would not approve of any derogatory comments made about them, if they were indeed made.

However, Willson won’t be returning to Wendy’s anytime soon.

“It’s the only thing I can have control over, where I spend my money at, and they won’t get a dime from me anymore,” Deputy Willson said.

Officers from the Eufaula Police Department and Clayton Police Department are standing behind the Barbour County Sheriff Deputies.

Sysop
    http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...is-inaccurate/

Police: Officer denied service at SC deli is 'inaccurate'
    The miscommunication led to hundreds of people calling for the firing of the employee

Apr 20, 2016

By PoliceOne Staff

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. — Mount Pleasant police have spoken out about a “miscommunication” that led to community members advocating for the firing of a deli employee, WCIV reported.

Police found a report of an officer being denied service at a Publix Super Market deli April 12 to be inaccurate.

A Facebook post went into detail about the allegations: “The African American deli clerk stated he would not make the officer a sub because he 'doesn't serve cops.' The officer then went to speak with the customer service manager on duty, who refused to talk to him, citing that the 'store was busy.’”

Community members advocated for the firing of the employee. However, after investigating the situation, the deli released a statement on their Facebook about the miscommunication.

“We have conducted a thorough investigation and found that at no time were services refused to any customers," Publix spokeswoman Kim Reynolds told the news site.

Police spoke to the officer involved and found the company’s statements to be true.

“With all of the information gathered, we feel that this was a case of miscommunication that created a misunderstanding," department officials said on Facebook. "We do not believe there was any malicious intent on the part of Publix or their employee. Our officer was provided service by another employee before he left the store.”

Commenters on the Facebook post seemed forgiving of the incident.

“We are all humans and no one is perfect too,” Matthew Roberts wrote. “I have nothing but respect for all police officers and I love Publixs [sic] too.”

Sysop
    http://q13fox.com/2016/07/14/sheriff...-to-eat-there/

Restaurant owner says it’s all a misunderstanding, cops can eat at his place — and for free Monday

Posted 3:58 PM, July 14, 2016, by Q13 FOX News Staff, Updated at 06:45am, July 15, 2016

SEDRO-WOOLLEY, Wash. -- The owner of the Lucky Teriyaki broke down in tears Thursday night and said cops are welcome at his restaurant -- will even get free meals on Monday -- after a public backlash to a report by the Skagit County sheriff said the man had told deputies that law enforcement officers were no longer welcome at his establishment.

The man's son said it had all been a misunderstanding and he apologized for the incident.

The incident came to light on Thursday when Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt posted a message on his Facebook page that he was left "speechless" after learning that the owner of the teriyaki restaurant asked his deputies not to return to eat there because "other customers didn't like law enforcement there."

Reichardt said his chief deputy spoke to the owner of Lucky Teriyaki in Sedo-Woolley later to confirm what he had heard.

"The owner not only repeated the request but asked that we spread the word to other law enforcement that they were no longer welcome either."

Here is the full statement posted on Facebook by Reichardt:

"I am not often speechless but today I was advised of an incident at the Lucky Teriyaki restaurant in Sedro-Woolley that completely took me by surprise. Particularly on the heels of the United We Stand by our Law Enforcement event that was such an overpowering show of appreciation for our deputies and officers serving Skagit County.

"This afternoon 4 Skagit County Sheriff’s office deputies were finishing up lunch at Lucky’s. As 2 deputies went up to pay they were informed by by the owner that he requested they not eat there anymore. They were told that other customers didn’t like law enforcement there. My chief deputy spoke to the owner to confirm this because he simply could not believe what he was hearing. The owner not only repeated the request but asked that we spread the word to other law enforcement that they were no longer welcome either.

"I understand a business owner has a right to refuse service if he wants to…….I also understand that as customers we all have the right to find some other restaurant to take our lunch break in."

It's not known how many law enforcement officers will return to eat lunch at the restaurant.

Sysop
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/rep...xbys/397082738

Deputies say they were heckled at Shelby Zaxby's; franchise owner speaks out

by: Ken Lemon Updated: Jul 13, 2016 - 9:38 AM

SHELBY, N.C. —

The owner of a Shelby Zaxby's is speaking out after complaints his employees mistreated two local deputies.

He wants to meet one-on-one with the sheriff about what happened as upset customers said they won’t return to the restaurant on East Dixon Boulevard until the incident is addressed.

The owner of the franchise said it took a long time to build a good relationship with the community and he wants to keep that good reputation, both with the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office and with the people in the community.

"Me, my team, my family, all take this incident extremely seriously," franchise owner Neil Glezen said.

He has been at the Zaxby's almost around the clock since the incident, which went viral on Facebook.

Two Cleveland County deputies went to the restaurant for lunch Sunday and they were heckled by employees in the kitchen, according to a post by one of those deputies.

The post said their food was coated with sauce so spicy it burned to the touch.

"We are going to do whatever we have to do to improve that relationship going forward," Glezen said.

He said they are finishing an internal investigation, but hasn't said what happened to the employees.

"If it did happen, then the employees need to be fired on the spot," resident Tony Cleveland said.

Cleveland believes the employees were angry over police shooting deaths last week in Louisiana and Minnesota.

"Stuff that's happened 100 miles away has nothing to do with your immediate community," Cleveland said.

The post on Facebook frustrated regular Zaxby's customer Kim McDaniels.

"I'm not happy with the behavior of the young adults that were in the kitchen slandering our local law enforcement," McDaniels said.

She refused to eat at Zaxby's Tuesday.

The Sheriff’s Office did not return calls from Channel 9 Tuesday.

Zaxby’s statement:

“The Zaxby’s located at 2005 E. Dixon Blvd., Shelby, N.C. is independently owned and operated by a franchisee. It is our goal to always provide every guest with exceptional service.

Upon notification of this incident we launched an internal investigation with our management team and are working quickly to resolve this issue.”

Capt. Joel Shores took down his original Facebook post late Monday night.

He posted another one that read, "We have made contact with the appropriate folks at Zaxby's. They have told us it will be fully investigated and are extremely sorry that this occurred. They were very apologetic. We are not going to judge an entire franchise based on a couple employees. That is what is happening to us in law enforcement and we are above that! Zaxby's can not be judged on a few bad apples. Just pray for our nation."

Sysop
    http://www.wtvm.com/story/32463537/a...e-at-taco-bell

Taco Bell employee fired after denying service to AL sheriff deputies
    Published: Sunday, July 17th 2016, 11:59 am EDT

Updated: Sunday, July 17th 2016, 5:48 pm EDT
    By Tanita Gaither, Digital Content Director
    By Elizabeth White, East Alabama Bureau Chief

LEE COUNTY, AL (WTVM) – A Phenix City Taco Bell employee has been fired for allegedly refusing service to two Lee County Sheriff's deputies, the chain's corporate spokesperson said.

The termination comes after an east Alabama woman, whose husband is a Lee County Sheriff’s deputy, says he and another deputy were allegedly refused service by a restaurant’s employee.

Tammy Bush Mayo posted to Facebook on Saturday that her husband and a colleague, both dressed in their uniforms, were treated rudely at the Taco Bell located at 2059 Hwy. 280 in Phenix City on July 16.

Mayo took to Facebook to share her husband’s story:

My husband is a Deputy Sheriff in Lee County, Alabama and tonight a Deputy on his shift went into Taco Bell in Phenix City, AL and was told that they don't serve cops. A lady waiting for her food spoke up to say that she was about to ask for a refund because she didn't want to eat somewhere with a cop.

This really disturbs me that people have started treating law enforcement professionals in this manner when these same law enforcement professionals put their lives on the line everyday to protect all people, including this woman with a very bad attitude at Taco Bell. We're going to research this further but if this is what Taco Bell allows to happen, they have lost my business and I hope others of you will do the same.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones confirmed the incident with multiple sources on his staff. Jones says at 9:40 p.m. on Saturday, two LCSO deputies were told by a counter cashier they would not serve law enforcement and needed to leave.

Lee said the deputies asked if she was kidding and the cashier allegedly responded: "No, I'm not serving you." A store customer in store commented, allegedly saying was glad the cashier wasn't serving them because she would not eat there if they had been served.

Jones released a released a statement, saying:

I'm very disappointed that simply because they were uniformed law enforcement officers that our deputies were treated in such negative fashion. We pride ourselves in giving people basic respect and only ask the same in return.

I am inclined to believe that this was the attitude of one employee and not the policy of the management. The fair thing is to give them an opportunity to respond.

We won't base our opinion of Taco Bell on one employee's negative action any more than the general public should base their opinion of law enforcement on the negative action of one officer.

Sheriff Jones released a second statement on Sunday afternoon:

Corporate management has contacted the sheriff's office in regard to the incident at their store in Phenix City last night. We were assured that they are taking this matter seriously and are conducting an investigation into the situation. They further related that they in no form or fashion endorse any negative actions toward law enforcement officers and as a company are very supportive of all public safety officers. I appreciate the corporate level response and actions to address this unfortunate occurrence.

Sheriff Jones went on to say:

"No knowledge on employee or status. I would like to include that even though the incident last night is disturbing, it is insignificant in light of the attack on law enforcement in Baton Rouge. Our thoughts are with the families of the law officers who lost their lives in the service of their community, their fellow law enforcement brothers and sisters, the city of Baton Rouge and the state of Louisiana."

The store's district manager Robert Chauvin said that this was an isolated incident and the employee's actions were against company policy.

Taco Bell spokesperson Laura Nedbal issued the following statement to News Leader 9, stating:

Taco Bell and Tacala, the franchise owner of the Phenix City Taco Bell, in no way endorse this sentiment. We are deeply appreciative of the men and women who have taken the oath to serve and protect our communities. Our franchisee has launched an investigation into this matter and will take appropriate action. Tacala will be reaching out directly to Deputy Sheriff Mayo and his wife Tammy Bush Mayo.

The second statement from Nedbal confirms the termination, saying:

In the course of the investigation at the Taco Bell in Phenix City, Tacala, the franchise owner of that location, has terminated the employee who refused service to two Lee County Deputies on July 16th. Tacala has contacted the Lee County Sheriff’s Department to apologize directly to the two Deputies and assure them of their ongoing support of law enforcement.

Sysop
    http://fortune.com/2016/07/28/law-en...efuse-service/

3 More Fast Food Workers Got Fired For Refusing to Serve Law Enforcement

by Michal Addady
    @michal_addady
    July 28, 2016, 5:36 PM EDT

A Texas McDonald’s took swift action.

It seems as if denying service to law enforcement officers is becoming a bit of a trend in the fast food industry.

A McDonald’s employee was fired this week after refusing to serve a police officer. KHOU was the first to report the incident, which occurred at a location in Brenham, Texas. The off duty police officer was with his family at the time. When a second employee saw what was going on, the worker interfered and served the officer.

When McDonald’s became aware of the incident, the first employee was promptly terminated. In a statement posted to Facebook, the Brenham Police Department stressed that this was “the exception rather than the rule.” “We’re not judging McDonald’s and their employees based on the action of this one worker,” Police Chief Craig Goodman told KHOU. “Just like we ask the community and the country to not judge our police officers because other officers make bad decisions.”

“At our restaurants, we proudly support police officers and all divisions of first responders. We are grateful for the chief of police, and the force, for understanding that this was an isolated incident,” McDonald’s told Fortune in a statement. “All customers, including local law enforcement officers who protect and serve our communities, are always welcome at our restaurants.”

A similar incident occurred at another fast food chain, Noodles & Company, in Alexandria, Virginia where WJLA reports two employees were fired on Thursday for refusing to serve a local police officer. “Discrimination of any kind is never tolerated at Noodles & Company,” the chain told Fortune in a statement. “The views and actions of these individuals are in no way reflective of the Company or team at our Alexandria location.”

This kind of thing appears to be a trend lately. Fortune reported last week that an employee at a Taco Bell location in Alabama was fired for the same reason. She told two sheriff’s deputies who were trying to order food, “We don’t serve law enforcement, and you need to leave.”

There are, however, people on the opposite end showing their support for authorities through food. Casual dining chain Shoney’s offered free meals on Wednesday to law enforcement officers as a “tangible and heartfelt” show of gratitude.

Sysop
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/trending-no...rant/402028018

Deputies told police aren't welcome in Washington restaurant
    by: KIRO - Seattle Updated: Jul 15, 2016 - 6:40 AM

SEDRO-WOOLLEY, Wash. —
    A Washington teriyaki restaurant has become the target of boycotts and threats after the Skagit County sheriff wrote a Facebook post saying his deputies -- and other law enforcement officers -- were asked not to eat there.

The father and son who own Lucky Teriyaki insist the whole issue is the result of a very big misunderstanding due to poor English skills. Sheriff Will Reichardt wrote in a Facebook post Thursday that the situation completely took him by surprise.

"My chief deputy spoke to the owner to confirm this because he simply could not believe what he was hearing," Reichardt wrote. "The owner not only repeated the request but asked that we spread the word to other law enforcement that they were no longer welcome either."

The restaurant owner's family, who speak Mandarin, told KIRO reporter Natasha Chen that while the Skagit County deputies were eating lunch in the restaurant Thursday, a group nearby spilled soup and their drinks and seemed agitated and argumentative.

The owner's son said he told the deputies in very broken English that they made the other customers "uncomfortable."

"Police not welcome here," is how they now believe it was received by the deputies.

Chen said she explained to the man and his son that the chief deputy followed up with a phone call.

"Didn't you understand that they were giving you a chance to straighten this out?" Chen asked in Mandarin.

The son says he didn't understand the questions, and he may have just answered, "Yeah," to the chief deputy's inquiries, not grasping the gravity of what was about to happen.

Within minutes of Reichardt's post, Facebook blew up with "Boycott Lucky Teriyaki" and more. Thousands left comments on Lucky Teriyaki's Facebook page and another calling for a boycott, expressing outrage.

Reichardt was not available for comment Thursday evening. The restaurant owners told KIRO they welcome officers and they're offering free food for all law enforcement officers Monday.

"We want them to come," he said.

Sysop
    http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...-at-Taco-Bell/

Ky. officers refused service at Taco Bell
    A Taco Bell employee allegedly told others he wasn’t going to take the officers’ orders

Aug 24, 2016

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Louisville Metro Police officers stopped in a local Taco Bell for lunch, but were refused service, according to WHAS.

FOP President Dave Mutchler said in a statement that the employee behind the counter told the other employees he wasn’t going to take the officers’ orders.

“Eventually, someone emerged to take the order but by then, the officers heard conversations among other employees regarding ‘messing’ with their order so they decided to not eat there at all,” the statement read.

Taco Bell responded with a statement saying that they “in no way endorse this sentiment” and they are “deeply appreciative of the men and women who have taken the oath to serve and protect our communities.”

An investigation has been launched and the business is taking appropriate action.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast