Businesses That Refuse Service Or Benefits to LEOs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sysop

Businesses That Refuse Service Or Benefits to LEOs

This thread is being started in response to requests from the community to identify businesses that have refused to serve police officers. In today's racially charged climate involving citizens and police, this action by some businesses is seen by many as a nail in the coffin of public relations. It should be pointed out that if the business responds by swiftly taking action to correct the issue (i.e. firing the employee), it may not be the company's fault and just that of an isolated worker. Also, please be careful to post only FACTUAL occurrences within this thread, as there should be no undue damage to anyone's (or any business's) reputation based on something they did not do. Please include links to news stories in order to support your post when possible.
    Last edited by Sysop; 12-18-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Sysop
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/16...lice-officers/

FOX NEWS

Whataburger fires employee for refusing to serve police officers
    Published September 16, 2015
    FoxNews.com

A Texas Whataburger employee was fired Wednesday for refusing to serve two police officers in what the company is describing as an appalling incident.

Officers Michael Magovern and Cameron Beckham were working off-duty security at a construction site on I-35 early Wednesday morning when they decided to stop at the restaurant in Lewisville, FOX 26 reports.

Magovern said before he could even place his order, the man behind the counter told him “We don’t serve police officers.”

The two officers decided to leave and went and got food at Dairy Queen instead.

"We were appalled to hear of an employee refusing service to two officers, as we have proudly served first responders across our system for decades,” Whataburger said in a statement Wednesday. “As soon as we heard of this isolated incident, we began our own internal investigation overnight. The employee that refused service is no longer employed with Whataburger. We've also invited the officers back today so we can apologize in person and make this right."

Magovern told Fox 26 that in “17 years as a firefighter and now 13 years as a police officer this is the first time this has ever happened to me.”

Unregistered

Starbucks Denies a Police Officer the Use of Its Restroom - Part 1 of 2

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/09/4247...ing-newsletter

Starbucks Denies a Police Officer the Use of Its Restroom and the Reason Why is Causing Quite a Stir

By Prudence Hill

If you’ve ever found yourself desperately in need of a restroom, unable to use the one at the closest store because you’re not a customer, you might feel for one Philadelphia police officer.

As Breitbart reports, Sergeant Leighthardt of the Philadelphia police recounted the story of an unnamed officer who was looking for a bathroom when he stopped at a Starbucks and asked the barista if he could use the one there. He was turned away because he was not a paying customer and directed to a bathroom down the street. However, the officer was so incensed by the treatment he received that he told his sergeant, who posted about it on Facebook:

Joe Leighthardt to ‎Starbucks
    September 11 at 8:08pm

"Thought you world like to know this happened at your 1301 Chestnut St in Philadelphia. In a time when police are being made the enemy, Your clerk pulls this nonsense. And might I point out, this store is a frequent caller to police for some sort of service."

Leighthardt also pointed out that the Starbucks store in question has often called for police help in dealing with loiterers outside the store and similar issues.

Starbucks was quick to apologize for the incident and responded to Leighthardt’s post almost immediately.

Many of those who read Leighthardt’s post sympathized or offered up the bathroom in their own establishment for his or other officers’ use.

However, not everyone who commented had the same perspective. Some took issue with the officer’s conclusions about the barista’s politics.

Unregistered

Starbucks Denies a Police Officer the Use of Its Restroom - Part 2 of 2

Others think politics have nothing to do with it.

And a few think that it’s unfair to come down on the barista when she was just following the rules.

Joe Leighthardt clarified his situation and his frustration with this Starbucks specifically:

What’s your take? Was the barista wrong for not letting him use the restroom or was the officer not entitled to do so since he was not a paying customer? Or does no one come out of this “brew-ha-ha” smelling all that sweet?

Unregistered

Deputy says he was disrespected at McDonald's in Katy

http://www.click2houston.com/news/de...-katy/36212962

Deputy says he was disrespected at McDonald's in Katy
    Author: Jonathan Martinez, Anchor/Reporter, jmartinez@kprc.com
    Published On: Nov 02 2015 05:39:57 PM CST Updated On: Nov 03 2015 10:31:09 AM CST

KATY, Texas -

A sergeant with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office is speaking out after a recent experience at a McDonald's.

"I've been in law enforcement for 16 years and very rarely have ever had these types of issues," Sgt. Michael Ross said.

He stopped by just to grab a bite at a McDonald's in Katy.

But Ross never expected what would come with his meal.

"I felt really disrespected and disheartened," Ross said.

Ross said while topping off his drink and leaving, an employee behind the counter yelled out loud enough for everyone in the restaurant to hear.

"He made the statement and yelled it out, '(Expletive) the police.' It was very shocking and offensive," Ross said.

Ross said he talked with another employee, who didn't seem too bothered.

So, he also took to Facebook and posted his story, which has since been liked and shared thousands of times.

Several customers were just as upset about the side of disrespect.

"The obscenity of it, that's just terrible," customer Kevin Foiles said.

"I think that's totally inappropriate," customer Ahmed Elawamry said. "These kind of words shouldn't be used in public where old people and children are."

The owner of the McDonald's said this was an isolated incident and the appropriate action is being taken.

"We've issued an apology to Sgt. Ross, and we feel horrible about the events that happened," owner and operator David Glasser said. "We've taken swift action with the employee."

Ross said he wants others to know about what happened and remind folks law enforcement officers are the good guys, despite his very upsetting experience.

"You don't want those type of comments spoken in front of children," Ross said. "It sends the wrong message."

Unregistered

?!

Yes, because being occasionally disrespected by some clerk is comparable to the sporadic abuse of power being meted out by those above the law.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Others think politics have nothing to do with it.

And a few think that it’s unfair to come down on the barista when she was just following the rules.

Joe Leighthardt clarified his situation and his frustration with this Starbucks specifically:

What’s your take? Was the barista wrong for not letting him use the restroom or was the officer not entitled to do so since he was not a paying customer? Or does no one come out of this “brew-ha-ha” smelling all that sweet?
    I don't know if it made any difference he was a police officer or a citizen but I do want to say if the police want respect from the citizens then they need to give respect. The number of police brutalities and disregard for citizens rights in this country has become appalling. I say that from personal experience as a former LEO and a citizen. I am not a crackhead or criminal but I have seen and been subject to totally unnecessary disrespectful and abusive behavior by police officers. I would have been kicked off the force when I was an officer if I treated citizens the way officers do now days. Not all officers are unfit but the one's that are which are many need to be called out by their fellow officers and not protected. If you lie for, turn your head or not get involved w/ disrespectful and abusive situations then you are just as guilty. There is a movement going on turning the tides against this behavior. I don't know when this became acceptable behavior but it is not. People need to keep on videoing bad police behavior and get the bad apples out. I don't want to hear about how dangerous it is. That is no excuse to abuse people. You signed on to the job and you know the dangers but it doesn't give you rights to abuse. Get a clue or get out of policing if you can't contain yourself.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, because being occasionally disrespected by some clerk is comparable to the sporadic abuse of power being meted out by those above the law.

This is a real problem in this country. I think if police want respect it is a two way street. The growing chorus of intolerance from the public should be a message to the police. We don't live in a police state and the police need to police their own from abuses. It has become intolerable.

Sysop
    http://www.leoaffairs.com/featured/s...-social-media/

Sheriff’s deputy fired after posting about mistreatment at McDonald’s on social media

November 19, 2015

A longtime East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s deputy has been fired over an incident with a McDonald’s employee a few months ago.

On Sept. 9, 2015 Lt. Tracy Baker, was going through the drive-thru at McDonald’s in Central, when he claims several cars in the other drive-thru lane were moving forward, but he was not.

When he asked what was going on, he was told they were busy. He responded: “Well, the other line doesn’t seem to be busy.”

In uniform at the time – Baker insists he was not argumentative at the window, where the manager gave him his food. He then saw – standing behind the manager – an African American woman who allegedly said under her breath: “F—ing a–hole cop” and “Black lives matter too.”

Baker complained to the store’s district and regional managers – but to no avail.

A little over a week after the incident, Baker took to Facebook to spread the word about his experience because- in his words -it was a “matter of officer safety.” Baker’s profile picture contained an image of the McDonald’s logo with the words, “McDonald’s does not back the blue.”

He got a huge response .. but on November 4th, he was fired after 26 years with the sheriff’s office.

Baker was apparently terminated because of “conduct unbecoming.” He also allegedly lied to internal affairs, telling them his wife created the post while he was at work, a claim Baker still stands by.

Last Thursday, authorities emailed Baker a restraining order banning him from posting any more statements about McDonald’s on social media. Baker dismissed the order saying he was never served personally, and the email means nothing to him.

East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux declined to comment on the report. Baker told WAFB that in his 26 years, he never had a write-up or any disciplinary actions.

When McDonald’s completed its investigation into the incident, they found Baker’s claims to be false. Video shows their employee did nothing wrong. McDonald’s put out a statement saying it has a long history backing the blue, and police officers are loyal customers and partners in the community.

Sysop
    http://www.leoaffairs.com/news/dairy...officers-food/

Dairy Queen employee with herpes arrested after spitting in officer’s food

December 15, 2015

A Dairy Queen employee- who admitted to having several diseases, including Herpes -is accused of spitting in a police officer’s food, before serving it up.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon at a Baton Rouge Dairy Queen.

When a Lieutenant with the Baton Rouge Police Department got his order, he says he noticed a clear substance, which resembled saliva, on his burger.

The manager later reviewed footage from store cameras, where the suspect was seen grabbing the hamburger bun off of the rack and attempting to back out of view of the cameras, WAFB reports.

Police say when the suspect believed he was out of the camera’s view– he lifted the burger to his mouth for a brief moment, returned to the hamburger making station, placed the bun on the burger, and wrapped it up.

The Dairy Queen worker, 21-year-old Elijah Johnson, was “immediately terminated” — a company spokesman said.

Johnson reportedly gave police a fake name and date of birth, at first. When discovering his true identity, officers found that Johnson had an outstanding warrant through the Baton Rouge Constables Office.

Johnson is being held on $4,000 bond. He’s charged with “mingling harmful substances and resisting an officer.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast