Sponsorship question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Sponsorship question

Hi can anyone tell me if polk co sponsors for patrol deputy. Thanks in advance

Unregistered
    No. There are sponsorships available but only for dual certified and you have to work in the jail for a minimum of three years before you can even apply to get on the road.

Unregistered

Thanks for the response.

Unregistered
    Do yourself a favor and pay for your own academy and then apply here and other depts you want to work for. The jail is a trap.

Unregistered
    Don't come work here. Find another career.

Unregistered
    So what is the real deal on this program? I applied and want to make sure I'm not gonna step in a pile of crap if i get it. Thanks

Unregistered
    The real deal is, the program is a trap. You aren't going to get a free lunch.

You go through the LE academy and the Corrections academy, paid for by PCSO, then you go to the jail. For a minimum of three years. If you leave before those three years, the sheriff comes after you for the money they spent on you (They go for no only your tuition to the academy but also your salary during that time, despite what federal law says on the subject). Despite this, there are still a surprising number of people who leave early.

If your goal is to be on road patrol or anywhere but corrections, there is another nasty surprise waiting for you. If you switch to patrol, any raises you got while at the jail get whisked away, and you get to start back at square one when you step over. There is also no guarantee they will let you leave the jail. Your only option may be to quit if you want out. If you are willing to throw away almost 4 years minimum (the academies plus your time in the jail, assuming you can get into patrol) to get out on the road, then go for it. Otherwise, pony up the money yourself and you can be on the road in a much shorter time with no indentured servitude.

This program is designed in every way to benefit PCSO and screw you if you want to be in charge of your own career.

Unregistered
    The last post pretty much sums it up. I know of people who waited 10 years to get out of the jail, and on to the road. One of the big issues is that the law mandates minimum staffing for the jail. It doesn't for the road. They have to have a certain number of correctional officers in the jail at all times. So getting out is a lot harder than getting in. If you don't want to be locked up with criminals for 12 hours a day (sometimes more), have vulgar comments made to you, get called nasty names, or have feces or urine thrown on you, the jail might not be where you want to spend the next 3-10 years of your career. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then you have the right personality for it. The decision is yours, but make it with your eyes open. Good luck!

Unregistered
    thanks for the info, I don't even want to work in the jail, but I saw it as a means to an end. I figured I could push through for three years. I should have known something was up, they are trying to not even send me to the LE academy because i don't live in the county, even though I was going to move for the job. Oh well app withdrawn. thanks for the info and saving me from years of suffering. Stay safe.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The last post pretty much sums it up. I know of people who waited 10 years to get out of the jail, and on to the road. One of the big issues is that the law mandates minimum staffing for the jail. It doesn't for the road. They have to have a certain number of correctional officers in the jail at all times. So getting out is a lot harder than getting in. If you don't want to be locked up with criminals for 12 hours a day (sometimes more), have vulgar comments made to you, get called nasty names, or have feces or urine thrown on you, the jail might not be where you want to spend the next 3-10 years of your career. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then you have the right personality for it. The decision is yours, but make it with your eyes open. Good luck!
    lol, You make it sound like if you work patrol you don't have vulgar comments made to you, get called nasty names, have feces or urine thrown at you, etc. At least in the jail the criminals are behind bars most of the time. And you can blame yourself and your supr for bad yearly reviews for having to stay in the jail for that long before being considered for the road. Not many places out there where you have your training paid for, get paid while your doing it and have a job waiting for you when you complete it. So having to repay the agency by working in the jail a couple of years ain't all that bad when you do the math. And after you complete your time with the agency, if you don't get moved to the road when you want, you are welcome to go to whatever agency you want to go to, no strings attached. Ain't nothing in life free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast