Miami Beach PD Records Section On Perpetual Vacation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

Miami Beach PD Records Section On Perpetual Vacation

I must say, I've dealt with a ton of law enforcement agencies over the years but I've never experienced the lack of responsiveness I'm currently seeing with your Records Section. I've been calling every day since last week (during work hours) in an effort to serve a Public Records Request but there has NEVER been an answer. I have repeatedly hit the zero option to talk with the Operator or Records Receptionist, but this action only returns the caller to the outgoing voicemail message. I have also never had any return telephone calls to my voicemail message(s). I'm amazed at the work hours for a Records Section:

CLOSED: Saturday, Sunday and Monday
    0800 - 1500 Hrs: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
    0800 - 1200 Hrs: Friday

I just called your Criminal Investigations Division and was given the name of John Bab**** to contact with a public records request via email. I'm glad I got the information, but this is ridiculous. Whether during work hours or not, your Records Section appears to be on a perpetual vacation!

Oh, did I mention that the published fax line for records is NOT accepting incoming faxes? GEEESSSSHHHHH

Unregistered
    Okay....let me get this straight. You want to serve a public records request, and you know the hours of operation. Here is an idea genius....show up during the hours of operation. You can't figure that out but you can come on to public forum and whine? Good job.

Unregistered
    John M. Bab****, Manager
    Technical Services Division, Records Section
    MIAMI BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT
    1100 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Tel: 305-673-7776, ext 5831 / Fax: 305-673-7879
    mailto:johnbab****@miamibeachfl.gov

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Okay....let me get this straight. You want to serve a public records request, and you know the hours of operation. Here is an idea genius....show up during the hours of operation. You can't figure that out but you can come on to public forum and whine? Good job.
    Have you ever heard the saying about what happens when you make assumptions? That shoe seems to fit you perfectly!

Since you're obviously not familiar and educated with Florida State Statute - Chapter 119 dealing with Public Records, I highly recommend this as reading material. By doing so you will LEARN that it is the statutory obligation of Miami Beach to make these public records available and to accept requests in a variety of ways (i.e. in person, by phone, fax and email). One reason for this statutory requirement is because those requesting the information (like myself) may not reside anywhere near Miami Beach and may not even be in the same state. To require someone to come in person to make a request or to pickup the requested records would be ILLEGAL.

Stick with your day job (I hope it's not in law enforcement)!

Unregistered
    Chip put it this way. You have your car broken into and in order to get a copy you have to come in person. We don't even have a system that allows for you to purchase it online.

The hours are ridiculous. Off on Monday?

Unregistered
    Chip put it this way. You have your car broken into and in order to get a copy you have to come in person. We don't even have a system that allows for you to purchase it online.

The hours are ridiculous. Off on Monday?
    Great customer service Jimmy.

Great customer service Jimmy.
    Now, in all fairness, John Bab**** took care of me in a timely manner when I reached out to him that day (after finally getting his information). I don't know who the ignorant post came from, but John Bab**** took care of me the same day.

Speaking on that subject, if anyone is still in the dark on why I would make a post on a public message board detailing the problems I've uncovered with the Miami Beach Police Department's Records Section, let me tell you. This is not only a public message board, but the largest and most heavily trafficked law enforcement message board in the world. Sometimes you reach a certain point where the only way a problem is going to get fixed is if you do what I did. The problem is out there now and in the Google (and other) search engine crawlers. People are now going to be aware of the problem and the department and City are going to be under some pressure to fix it. That's one of the reasons why I created this site. Let's hope they listen.

Unregistered
    Well Chip, I think most of us understand your intention...we just don't agree with it. We have things in place, like chain of command and a complaint system. I don't know much about your background, but if you were a cop (or anything else for that matter), I don't think that you would want your name/information on the most trafficked whatever board in the universe because someone could not get a hold of you for whatever information.

Let's say, that the chain of command nd complaint system did in fact fail you, and you wanted to use your wonderful creation to get a hold of whomever, I doubt the thread heading of whatever unit being on "Perpetual Vacation" was unnecessary and not productive. You could have just asked for who to contact.

Listen, I get it....I am trying to debate something on a forum with a guy who created it, so Ofcourse I know where this is going. That being said, it seemed like a bully thing to do. Anyway, I am glad that you got help...he is a stand up guy.

Unregistered
    Well Chip, I think most of us understand your intention...we just don't agree with it. We have things in place, like chain of command and a complaint system. I don't know much about your background, but if you were a cop (or anything else for that matter), I don't think that you would want your name/information on the most trafficked whatever board in the universe because someone could not get a hold of you for whatever information.

Let's say, that the chain of command nd complaint system did in fact fail you, and you wanted to use your wonderful creation to get a hold of whomever, I doubt the thread heading of whatever unit being on "Perpetual Vacation" was unnecessary and not productive. You could have just asked for who to contact.

Listen, I get it....I am trying to debate something on a forum with a guy who created it, so Ofcourse I know where this is going. That being said, it seemed like a bully thing to do. Anyway, I am glad that you got help...he is a stand up guy.
    Thanks Jed AKA RACIST!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast