On 7/13/15, an incident occurred in North Lauderdale where legal representation was needed for both IUPA and PBA members. I will not go into specifics because of an ongoing investigation. I am glad to say that all parties involved were not injured but one suspect did expire. Before I continue, let me make this clear. I feel sorry for all of the individuals involved and wish no harm to any. However, I am glad an incident took place that could show apples to apples coverage of IUPA and the PBA legal services.

I can not stress the importance of good QUALITY legal coverage at the time of need. It is almost like healthcare. We never realize how good or bad our coverage is until we need it. Attorney Steve Haguel represented the IUPA member and Tony Alfaro represented a PBA deputy, Sgt and Lieutenant. I am sure that you have all seen on this blog how the PBA has lied about poor legal coverage from IUPA and how they lied about a 3 hour response time.

The first issue here is the reps on scene. Jason Zehler from IUPA and Lee Martin for the PBA. People from the PBA criticized Zehler for doing nothing. Well, as a rep, your sole purpose is to make sure your coworker is ok. See if he needs any medical attention, and make sure that all notifications have been made to get the best legal representation possible. A rep should never ask for any details as to what happened because that rep can now be forced to talk to internal affairs as a witness. Your conversations with a rep are not privileged. Unlike Lee Martin, your rep has no need to enter the crime scene with you and your attorney and risk tampering with anything. When Lee walked into the crime scene and listened to the conversations, he can now be compelled to talk. Huge mistake. Once your attorney is there, it should be you and your attorney, NOBODY ELSE.

Legal coverage: The PBA has criticized the IUPA attorney for looking "lost" and not knowing what he was doing. Steve Haguel has been in practice for years and is a highly experienced lawyer in multiple shootings in Dade County and Broward County. Steve Haguel was not grand standing like Alfaro because his experience speaks louder then anything. Tony Alfaro was belligerent on scene and to put it mildly, jeopardized his clients because of his incompetence and actions. One person represented by the PBA noticed this and expressed concerns to IUPA that he was considering asking for a new attorney because he felt Tony Alfaro was hurting him on scene.

On 7/16/15 ALL 3 PBA members were placed on restrictive duty, had their assigned vehicles taken away and their badges taken. They will not be given an unmarked vehicle to use. The IUPA member has been authorized to return to work on Sunday. Please feel free to attend North Lauderdales 6 pm roll call and see for yourself.

All 3 PBA members have now lost the ability to work details and now will incur the expenses of using their personal cars to and from work. I hope none of the people involved are single car families. You have to ask yourself if your are willing to risk your financial future and stability of income for your family because of the "look at me grandstanding" of the PBA during this perc election. The sole reason why 3 PBA members are now on restrictive duty and the IUPA member is going back to work rests solely on the quality and experience of their legal representation. This is not the only incident where Tony Alfaro has risked a Deputies future. Just ask Deputy Wilkins, Singh, Sgt Oneill, and others who have all suffered restrictive duty for almost a year and maximum available criminal charges because of the PBA legal. The common denominator to all of these people is Tony Alfaro.

I hope this does not happen to anyone else but you must wake up and realize that the PBA is hurting you more than helping. I would like you to join IUPA but if you do not, please drop the PBA and go with anyone else. FOP, FOPE, legal wise, Plea........ Just stop giving the PBA any more of your money. They are intentionally screwing with your careers in order to keep your money flowing to them. Think of your family. If you happen to get involved in an incident, you should expect quality legal coverage, not to be placed on restrictive duty or indicted. Stay Safe

www.bsodle6020.org