A letter from the Teamsters - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    From Nov. 17, 2011

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.) – A majority of the nearly 20,000 correctional, probation and parole officers with the Florida Department of Corrections (FDOC) have voted to join the Teamsters Union, seeking strength and power on the job. The Teamsters’ victory in the election was announced today.

“This is a great day for Teamsters and FDOC officers,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “FDOC officers have shown that in tough times, they want a tough union to represent them. On behalf of the 1.4 million Teamster members, I congratulate these officers for joining the growing movement of public service workers nationwide seeking Teamster power.”

The vote for Teamsters Local 2011 was a decisive win over the Police Benevolent Association and the International Union of Police Associations.

Glynn Reeder, a sergeant with Florida State Prison in Raiford, was active in organizing his co-workers to join the Teamsters and was present at the vote count.

“The Teamsters have shown us that we can make positive change when we work together as a union,” Reeder said. “Now that we’ve won the election, we need to get everyone to become an active member of our new union so FDOC officers can change our destiny.”

“I’m very excited that all of us came together—probation, parole and correctional officers—to unite for a better future with the Teamsters,” said Becky Pastor, a correctional probation senior officer in Lake City. “We’ve learned that we are the union and it’s up to us to make the change we need.”

“We welcome FDOC officers to Teamsters Local 2011, a newly chartered local that will solely represent and serve the interests of FDOC officers,” said Ken Wood, International Vice President and Acting President of Local 2011, based in Tampa.

“These officers go to work every day to keep our communities safe and they deserve the best representation, which Local 2011 will provide.”

“This Teamster victory is a statewide referendum that FDOC officers want a new voice in the workplace and in Tallahassee,” said Michael Filler, Director of the Teamsters Public Services Division. “It’s time for elected officials and government administrators to value the thousands of public employees who protect communities against Florida’s inmate population. The Teamsters look forward to beginning that dialogue to correct the years of neglect within the Department of Corrections.”
    Yes, that was a press release after the victory. But, there is no comments in it as you said. But thanks for reposting it. This was a great victory over a loser union.

Unregistered
    Now, what was the question?

Unregistered
    Please tell the glorious victors that they haven't accomplished one single thing for us since their amazing victory. While I'll give them a pass this year, due to budget issues, the last 2 years they failed. They had better come up with a miracle in Janurary or I see them going away and PBA returning.

Unregistered
    What? Is that the same PBA who did nothing for the members for over six years? Yep, it is the same. Now why would we go from loser to loser. They both had their chance. Let move on to something new. Why in the hell do you think over half of the D.C. family wanted pba thrown out? Well, lets start with the six years of nothing they gave us. How soon you forget. Not us!!!

Unregistered
    At least PBA got their state officers thousands in extra raises the previous 2 sessions while the Teamsters talked all that mess and got us the same as the state janitor.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Gee, when did they say all that? Please show us where they ( Teamsters) made the statements you speak about here?
    For one they were saying it in the parking lots - remember when they had the truck drivers there selling all that nonsense about nice raises from now on and the rest and they said we would have a new destiny with many improvements and things are worse now not better.

Unregistered
    The facts are the facts and the Teamsters suck. They have been a huge disappointment and I completely regret voting for them. I plan on dropping my membership as soon as its official that we didn't get a raise, AGAIN! I can use that $30.00 a month for myself and not some union crony laughing all the way to the bank!

Unregistered
    Drop em... It's official that no raises will happening this year!!! The budget is done except for fine print.... No raises in it.

Unregistered
    I dropped union membership after pba failed us for over six years. Why would anyone be a member of any union in Florida? The two last unions failed us for years. If you are paying union dues to anyone, you are stupid.

Unregistered
    I wouldn't call anyone stupid for staying with the union because you might need legal assistance. In this job, you never know what a day/night will bring. I call it insurance! Its worth $30.00 a month for peace of mind. The teamsters suck at lobbying the legislature but have a good record defending officers against allegations that could get you fired or prosecuted.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast