Fort Myers
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort Myers

Unregistered

Fort Myers

Hi, I am currently in the application process with the Fort Myers office. I was looking for any information on that office since it seems like different offices have different things they focus on.

Also any other information on the agency is appreciated such as the interview and hiring process. Case types for the area or is it inspections mainly etc.

I have heard many things both good and bad, but the majority have said I will get out of it what I put into it. I was also told to expect some culture shock to the way things run since I am coming from a medium size SO.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Uncle Buck
    Fort Misery is in a constant state of turmoil. A captain and a LT hired from the outside because no one wanted to work there. Another LT promoted to the position after less than two years because no one wanted to promote. Agents run through that office like travel center burritos through your intestinal track. The plus for you is if you work hard at whatever the priority is that day you will exceed. You could be captain in a couple years. That isn't possible in a law enforcement agency anywhere else but here. The most important thing you need to know is stay out of and away from the office. Careers have been lost because of hanging around there. If you heed that one simple piece of advice you will be very successful at ABT.

The hiring process goes like this. They will screen through the applications and pick 8-12 to interview. They use about 5 questions to weed out the majority of the 75-200 applications received for every position. You will need to get 5/5 to move to the interview. At the interview they will ask 10-15 questions like What do you know about ABT? What is your strongest trait? Weakest? What have you done that you were proud of? Ashamed of? General open ended stuff like that. They will ask you to write a simple p/c affidavit and send you on your way. The panel (3-5 sworn) will then rank the applicants and pick 1 or 2 to send to the background process. A LT will contact you and the digging begins. They will turn over every rock in your past and talk to everyone they can find. If they find something they don't like you are done. If all goes well your packet gets sent to CO. It will go through 7 different people for sign-offs. Once everyone is OK with you they call you with a conditional job offer. If you pass the psych test and physical you work out a start date. Once you get to the office you are sent to CO for a 3 day orientation. Back to the office and start 12 weeks of FTO. A year of probation and a two week basic school and you are ready to start applying your knowledge to our customers.

As far as what we do and what office does what doesn't matter. I say that because things change constantly. The nice thing is you will get a full range of experience from underage possession to u/c drug cases. The even nicer thing is you can specialize and become an expert in an office like Fort Myers. You will have hundreds of square miles to roam in. A free car is nice too. You shouldn't be doing any inspections after FTO. We have people for that. Coming from a medium SO will be culture shock X 2. What you see here cannot be unseen. It is very easy to be happy here. You have to make the job work for you. Just remember you get the same 3% high risk retirement without the radio calls, traffic crashes, nights, shifts, weekends and other pains of a real LE agency. This is law enforcement lite. A very senior and wise LT told me - to be happy here you only have to do one thing. Lower your expectations. I too worked at a traditional LE agency for almost 10 years before coming here. It has been a good ride with no regrets. Good luck to you.

Unregistered
    Uncle Buck,

Thank you for your detailed response, I appreciate it!

You said they use 5 questions to weed people out and decide who to interview. Can you elaborate on that please?

Also the 7 people that have to sign off, are they LEO's? Or a mix of LEO's and civilians?

Thanks again for your detailed response I appreciate it. Do you have any other advice or info to share?

Thanks!

Uncle Buck
    The 5 questions are screening types to help narrow down the stack. There are always a boat load of applicants and many don't read the job posting for the minimum qualifications. The questions are things like do you have the minimum experience? Do you have certification? Do you have a degree? Stuff like that. There will be half the applicant poll that will get tossed because they don't have the minimum.

The sign offs include the LT that did the background, the office captain, the regional major, the training LT, the chief, the HR director and there may be one other that I can't recall.

As far as advice - read everything you can about ABT. There is actually some good info on the website. If you go to the interview with a little knowledge about who we are and what we do that will go a long way.

At the end of the interview you will be asked if you have any questions. This is where the panel gets some insight into how you think. Don't blow it by asking what kind of car/gun/blue lights we have. Don't ask about pay raises or other silliness. Ask things that show you have some knowledge and would like more.

As far as the interview goes - be well put together. Wear a nice suit, be on time. Shine your shoes. I know of one applicant that didn't get a second look because he wore unpolished cowboy boots (among other things) If you are a u/c at the SO, don't show up to the interview with a nose ring and a red pinky nail. They will give you a list of papers to bring to the interview. Follow those instructions to a T. If they ask for a color photo, don't bring a b/w. Don't be distracted and make eye contact. One person will be asking questions and everyone will be making notes. Speak clearly and don't be afraid to say I don't know. Don't make up crap and don't ramble on. They hear that nonsense every day. If you don't get your name out to everyone during the interview, they won't be going back afterwards and look for your stuff. It is now or never because they will have many interviews that day. Good luck.

Unregistered
    Uncle Buck,

Do you have any insight on how many potential slots are open in Fort Myers and when they will start the interviews?

Thanks for the info and advice, I appreciate your time.

Uncle BuckI
    I haven't been following it. Normally they will take a couple weeks to cull the applications. That process starts when the position advertisement closes in people first. Add a week to the process because all the supervisors will be taking a break for a week in central Florida this month. Once they have a list of interviewees they will make calls and get it set up. You can figure from interview to start date is 8-10 weeks.

In the last five years no less than 15 have come and gone through Fort Myers. That includes supervisors and agents.

Unregistered
    Thanks for your responses.

How long do you have to move within the 50 air miles of the office?

Uncle Buck
    That will be one of the questions during the interview. If you are outside the limit be prepared to tell the panel about your plan to move if selected. The policy requires compliance and there can be circumstances that allow some flex.

Unregistered
    Ft myers is turning around. Good leadership. Some good agents. Two are abt lifers and have no real leo experience. One whines alot. One does anything and everything to get out paperwork and doing work but in time that will catch up to him. Last two hires were really good but one left for fdle after a year. Good luck youll love abt

Unregistered
    They have one captain, two lt's, and eight agents; currently one agent poistion available. From what i hear that office has done a complete 180 for the better. Met one of their agent and lts at beverage school last month, both were great guys.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast