St. Lucie Sheriff's Office

Unregistered

St. Lucie Sheriff's Office

I have been doing some research for going to a dept. in the central/southern Florida. I have a few questions about St. Lucie SO that are not mentioned on the website and can neither be found on the internet. Any assistance with this info would be greatly appreciated. First let me say that I am very proactive and am looking at going to a Dept. where there is plenty of "action." priority calls -shooting, stabbing, car chases, foot chases, narcotics, fights, ect. Is St. Lucie SO an area that has these types of calls. Is the command staff supportive of officers who are proactive and looking for crime in progress. Is command supportive of officers who have to use force to take down a suspect who is fighting? how is the moral? how is the pay in comparison to the cost of living? What are the opportunities for advancement? Is the SWAT team active with call outs? How long do you have to be on the dept. before you can move to a specialized unit? Will exceptions be made for officers with prior experience in specialized units? Marshall's task force? DEA task force? undercover narcotics units? Off duty details? How is the benefits package?

Thank You

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have been doing some research for going to a dept. in the central/southern Florida. I have a few questions about St. Lucie SO that are not mentioned on the website and can neither be found on the internet. Any assistance with this info would be greatly appreciated. First let me say that I am very proactive and am looking at going to a Dept. where there is plenty of "action." priority calls -shooting, stabbing, car chases, foot chases, narcotics, fights, ect. Is St. Lucie SO an area that has these types of calls. Is the command staff supportive of officers who are proactive and looking for crime in progress. Is command supportive of officers who have to use force to take down a suspect who is fighting? how is the moral? how is the pay in comparison to the cost of living? What are the opportunities for advancement? Is the SWAT team active with call outs? How long do you have to be on the dept. before you can move to a specialized unit? Will exceptions be made for officers with prior experience in specialized units? Marshall's task force? DEA task force? undercover narcotics units? Off duty details? How is the benefits package?

Thank You
    The department is going under. The Sheriff is no willing to pay the deputies and there will be a mass exodus in the near future. The moral is pretty crappy, since most of the deputies have not seen a pay increase since 2007 (no cost of living or step raise). They don't have tasers because the sheriff himself does not like them. Unless you wan to live in fort pierce the pay is pretty crappy, $38,722.52. You have to make it your probationary year before you attempt to enlist into a specialized unit, but in a sense it hard to get into these units because its a smaller sheriff's office.

Unregistered

Ridiculous Question

That's the most ridiculous question I've ever seen...period.

To the moron that responded...guessing from the time of day you replied, you just got off night shift. After 12 hours of slinking in the shadows and victors at the dealership, I'd be pretty disgruntled too.

Why don't you leave already and make some room for more motivated, good cops. We have a great Sheriff that has our back and supports proactive enforcement. It's the scum like you that gives us (all law enforcement) a bad name. I'm so sick of the negative attitudes. There aren't many of you but I could count on one hand who probably wrote this. We know who you are. This rhetoric is getting old.

Unregistered

They could be better

The agency is run by a democrat sheriff in a county where the majority of the population is democrats. Having said that the majority of the population is within the incorporated cities with Port St.Lucie being the largest. The deputies do a decent job within the scope that they are allowed. The jail system is probably one of the worse in the state and has a retention problem concerning deputies. The pay is not great and is in fact higher at several local surrounding agencies. The specialty units are like most southern agencies accessible by who you know. This excludes the school resource deputies several of which wouldn't make decent security guards in my opinion, Especially those at the PSL schools. So I would say it's just a typical agency.

Unregistered

xxx

I miss the days when if you worked hsrd you got to move around. Now no raises, benifits suck, moral is low but there is still a lot of good people that work there. The sro unit is still one of the best. The sheriff is good, but I think a lot is done behind his back, because his agency made great positive changes when he first became sheriff. I would like to think there is still hope.

Unregistered

Unregistered

It isn't what you know, how well educated you are, or your previous experience. It is who you know and what sign you wave on the street corner during the next election. Don't waste your time.

Unregistered

Sold serino

Why don't you try posting on their forums?

Unregistered
    I there a contact number for a recruiter?

Unregistered
    You can’t be a cop and be proactive in the 21st century. If your looking for a solid department and want to make money look in Boca Raton Police Department, I’ve heard they just got a raise and their starting salary is $66k.