"Not" lowering hiring standards?

Unregistered

Unregistered
    20 to 30 years ago, I don't think you would have needed a college degree. In todays world, with the advancement in tech., I believe that you do need a college degree. I wonder why they said the they needed more females, blacks, and Hispanics, and dropping the college degree standard would benefit these groups of people. Does that mean that white males can't do good police work, even if they go to college? I understand the need for diversity, but does this mean that if you are a white male and qualified to do the job you will be passed over? Either way with no pay raises, reduced pension, and benefits, its no wonder they have to lower their standards, because anyone with "smarts" are going to work for the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.

Unregistered
    SSO has never required a Bachelors degree for entry-level hiring. Applicants with Florida LEO certification or honorable military service can come in with zero college credits. Those without LEO certification or military service are required to have a few college credits, but no actual degree is required. During a 2nd floor meeting, staff officers are always saying that we cannot find qualified black applicants. Ask Kurt Hoffman for more information. lol

SSO token blacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wonder why SPD said the they needed more blacks, and dropping the college degree standard would benefit these groups of people.
    The Sarasota Sheriff hires very few blacks. Token black applicants that apply are put in jail (as jailers and not as prisoners). It’s ***RARE*** to allow blacks to be hired into SSO law enforcement (i.e. the patrol division).

Unregistered

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    20 to 30 years ago, I don't think you would have needed a college degree. In todays world, with the advancement in tech., I believe that you do need a college degree. I wonder why they said the they needed more females, blacks, and Hispanics, and dropping the college degree standard would benefit these groups of people. Does that mean that white males can't do good police work, even if they go to college? I understand the need for diversity, but does this mean that if you are a white male and qualified to do the job you will be passed over? Either way with no pay raises, reduced pension, and benefits, its no wonder they have to lower their standards, because anyone with "smarts" are going to work for the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.

Look up "Protected Classes" of people in the US.
    You will be very happy to know (sic) that white males are the ONLY un-protected class in this country and receives no preferential treatment.
    Remember that the next time someone asks you to vote Democrat.

Unregistered

Red face just a voice

Guys, relax, I have been a police officer, commander, recruiter and Police Chief for over 30 years. I have always argued that you do not need a college degree to be a good cop! I have seen many good people passed by, simply because they did not have a degree. Why did they not have a degree, some got married too soon and had to choose between supporting their family or going to school. Some didn’t have the money or chance to go to school. Others simply did not have the desire to go to school. For whatever their reasoning, they just didn’t get the degree. Each of us knows that cop that has a dozen degrees and is a total idiot who cant tell the difference between a burglary and a robbery. We also know the one who does not have the degree and is a great street cop. As a chief, I have seen us hire to many “want to be chiefs” and not enough Indians. A program that I think is excellent is the tuition reimbursement most agencies has. Once you get on the job, begin to get some experience, then go to college on the city’s dime and get your degree or two or three!
    I will never advocate reducing standards, no criminal activity, no drugs, good morals, good ethics, etc are absolutely a must . Whether you have a degree or not? Not a big deal to me.