uh-oh
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh

Unregistered

uh-oh

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...216-story.html

Police in this 4-square-mile city have fired on citizens eight times in the past five years — sometimes with deadly consequences.

Three people have died. Four were injured. And one person escaped injury.

Those police-involved shootings, along with the increased scrutiny of excessive force nationwide, has Hallandale planning to bring in an outside consultant for what city officials say will be an unbiased review of the department's use of force policies and culture.

Cities say yes to body cams on cops; unions say no
    Cities say yes to body cams on cops; unions say no
    "I am not saying our officers are doing anything wrong," City Manager Renee Miller said Monday night during a commission meeting. "This is aimed at being better in how we provide training and coaching to our people...It's more about making us all better."

At Police Chief Dwayne Flournoy's urging, commissioners on Monday allocated $57,000 for a six-month review expected to begin in January. The city plans to hire Greenwood & Streicher, an Ohio-based consulting firm headed by an accomplished American Civil Liberties Union attorney and a former Cincinnati police chief known for helping forge change at his own department.

lRelated Buzz of the town: Pegasus comes to life in Hallandale
    NEWS
    Buzz of the town: Pegasus comes to life in Hallandale
    SEE ALL RELATED

"We know nationally what we are experiencing as it relates to use of force in the police department," the chief said. "I'd like to get another perspective on that. We are inviting them. We are not being told they have to come. That's quite different."

Anthony Sanders, the city's lone black commissioner, said he supported Hallandale officers but spoke of a deep distrust for the police permeating the city's minority communities.

cComments
    Shooting and killing unarmed citizens is what cops do for vacation time. Long paid vacation, full benefits, full pension. Nothing will ever happen to them legally. Cops kill unarmed man in his own home, the cop is still on a paid vacation. Life is good for cold blooded murders if you are a cop....
    BASS MAN
    AT 3:37 PM DECEMBER 16, 2014
    ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS

Protests have swept cities throughout the country in recent weeks following a decision not to indict the officer who shot and killed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. A New York grand jury's decision not to charge the officer whose chokehold led to the death of Eric Garner inspired further protests. In each case, both men were black and the officers white.

In May, police bullets flew when a Hallandale SWAT team served a narcotics search warrant to the home of Howard Bowe before dawn. One officer shot Bowe, a black man, and killed his dog, Tank. Bowe died 11 days later. He was unarmed, says an attorney for the family.

A grand jury decision on whether to charge the officer in the shooting is likely months away.

Brian Stewart, a resident who moved to Hallandale Beach last year, hopes the outside review has a positive impact on the relationship between police and the public citywide.

Unregistered

cant wait

I am 100% certain that this will boost the record low morale in the dept., not that anyone even really cares anymore.

Unregistered
    I think law enforcement officers have to come to the realization that, in general, the public no longer believes that LEOs tell the truth when things go wrong. When I started in law enforcement (over 14 years ago) I did not want any of my interviews audio or video taped. Now I welcome it and have adapted my interviewing techniques. Body cameras are the issue today. A body camera on the SWAT officer who shot Bowe would be excellent evidence to show if the shooting was justified. What is wrong with allowing that evidence to be considered to determine if it was a justified shooting? The existence of a video will not change the Supreme Court Case Graham v Connor.

Unregistered
    Dear Madam Mayor, Commissioners and Madam City Manager,

I read the posted article and I must say that I am appalled over the unnecessary spending that the City of Hallandale Beach is dishing out for answers to questions that can easily and freely be obtained if one would just go to the source, the rank and file of the police department. Why not take some time to randomly meet with officers and ask the questions that you are paying $57,000.00 to get. At least you may get some honest and sincere answers as opposed to the answers you are paying for.

An example of answers you may get:

Ans) The city of Hallandale Beach Police Department is not experiencing "low moral". In fact that is well behind us, we have moved into a different category, the truth is there is "No moral" left among the rank and file.

Ans) The high liability training that should be implemented in the Hallandale Beach Police Department is extremely poor. At the very best it's sporadic, inconsistent, and ridiculously inadequate.

Ans) Here's one I'm sure the high paid Ohio consulting firm would love to know. Why is high liability training only initiated when there's a knee jerk reaction from the chief of police, "after" an incident occurs? Why? Because he has to show you that he has everything under control and he is doing his best to manage and supervise the men and women of this agency. (That's what he wants you to think) because if the truth again be known he is as incompetent and self serving as they come.

Ans) Another fun fact for all to sigh at: High liability training is not adequate when an officer only attends once a year (if we're lucky) and then only for a couple of hours. Big surprise I know. Attendance sheets and training plans show you and the Ohio consulting firm an attendance of 8 hrs. What a snow job that is.

Ans) The rank and file does not have an overwhelming or even a majority of confidence in the chief of police.

Ans) The command staff, only presents issues that are less pleasurable to the chief after they wait and watch to see when he may be in a rare moment of a good mood. In fear that they themselves may be held accountable for their own incompetence.

Ans) Yes, there is a very strong form of favoritism, cronyism, and just plain "good ole boy" mentality within the chief's office, when it comes to promotions. Such as his buddies becoming Captains and Majors. But what is even sadder is the strategy he has set forth with this years roll over being delayed until April/May. He tells you and all of us that it's being done in an effort to better coordinate his succession plan. All it is, is smoke and mirrors. If the truth be known it's an effort to allow a sergeant's list to expire so he does not have to promote from that list. Now mind you I don't agree with some of the possibilities from that list, however it does show what the man is made of.

Ans) We are all very tired and disgusted with the way this police department is run. We need someone who will be honest and sincere all the time. We need someone to trust. We need to know that the man in charge has our back (not just some). We need a person of integrity, loyalty and commitment for the men and women in which they are entrusted to lead. Not a self serving ego maniac who is rarely seen or heard unless you are one of his chosen few. We need someone who has compassion and some understanding. We need someone who will guide and mentor through actions. Not someone who directs, produces and choreographs a video that is displayed for everyone to see which is unprofessional and embarrassing to many. A chief of police running down the hallway towards the camera kissing two fingers and displaying a peace sign gesture is very immature. Not to mention being held by several detectives and then dropped to the floor. What kind of image is that promoting?

Ans) No. I don't have any personal stake in anything I have said. I don't have a personal agenda, or any on going issues with this administration. I do however have the ear of a lot of fellow employees, officers and residents and it's sad that you either don't know what's going on or that you just don't care. Regardless it's time you hear it. Today you're reading it anonymously on this website. However tomorrow south Florida may be reading about in the sun sentinel.

Please don't waste anymore tax dollars on trying to stay one step of the nations growing problem with police and the public. Spend the money on keeping the men and women of the Hallandale Beach Police Department. There are more officers looking to leave than you would care to know about. Spend the money on adequate training. Spend the money on looking for a new chief from the outside because that's the only way things will ever change around here.

Ans) Yes, I'm afraid of retaliation, revenge and retribution that's why my name is not attached.

Unregistered
    Some things never change. And you can't change it. Another in-house cjief will be made as usual and the song and dance will forever continue with their dance partners in crime. Has been that way since the inception.

Unregistered
    Yep just another Larry Faragher. Never took a promotional exam and got magic wanded into every command level position he's held. And what about the new command staff applicants having to go through a panel board ?? Oh, that must only be for everyone else except MM. Let the lies continue.

Unregistered
    Well once again Hallandale Beach has proven itself as an incompetent bunch of ego maniacs. How many times do I as an employee of this city, do I have to hang my head in shame after watching the "so called leaders" of this city bicker, argue and insult one another in a public forum. Sure I know I have the option of leaving if I don't like it here, but is this the real answer?

Now we have once again an individual wanting to scream discrimination by pulling out the "race card" because she is black and the Commissioner/Commission is white. I am not siding with one side or the other regarding the requested investigation against the city attorney, however I do have a problem with an individual refusing to speak about the actual issues that brought forth the claim, but does claim immediately that this is a race issue. Why don't we all take a moment to look at the hiring practice of the black city manager and police chief has been utilizing. Please, this issue is so predictable whenever "anything" happens towards a black individual. Does a white individual have the same right to file discrimination when it's learned that the first question asked behind closed doors after an application is received is; "What color are they?" It's no big secret to see that most of the new hires, some of which in administrative positions in this city are black.

Unregistered
    I thought my eyes were playing games on me(no pun intended) when I watched the news. Did I just see WM on that armed robbery scene at the Metro on TV? Yup I did, in his stylist baby blue shirt mastermining all that supervisory experience with his A/. how can someone on light duty for the last 6 months be on a scene, and a critical scene. I guess he can.I guess he can also drive that unmarked tahoe like a maniac running code.
    Hey DUH-Wayne, that fluffy faker takes that unmarked to all scenes every time he works and has put close to 1000 miles on it already. Chalk it up to another command staff Helen Keller moment. Captain colossal turns a blind eye to that as much as he does to knowing this fraud plays Candycrush on his tablet all day in the office even with the office lights off (so he can see the screen better).

hey DUH-Wayne:
    quit chasing every piece of tail!
    quit posing for the cameras!
    dress professional!
    take some pride and ownership in your position!
    hold your command staff accountable!
    open your eyes!
    see what's really going on around here!
    be a good example on and OFF duty!
    if you expect us to do our job, then do YOURS!
    BE A LEADER!

Confidence***********ZERO!

This quote could not be more fitting.

"It is absurd that a man should rule others, who cannot rule himself". —Latin Proverb

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I thought my eyes were playing games on me(no pun intended) when I watched the news. Did I just see WM on that armed robbery scene at the Metro on TV? Yup I did, in his stylist baby blue shirt mastermining all that supervisory experience with his A/. how can someone on light duty for the last 6 months be on a scene, and a critical scene. I guess he can.I guess he can also drive that unmarked tahoe like a maniac running code.
    Hey DUH-Wayne, that fluffy faker takes that unmarked to all scenes every time he works and has put close to 1000 miles on it already. Chalk it up to another command staff Helen Keller moment. Captain colossal turns a blind eye to that as much as he does to knowing this fraud plays Candycrush on his tablet all day in the office even with the office lights off (so he can see the screen better).

hey DUH-Wayne:
    quit chasing every piece of tail!
    quit posing for the cameras!
    dress professional!
    take some pride and ownership in your position!
    hold your command staff accountable!
    open your eyes!
    see what's really going on around here!
    be a good example on and OFF duty!
    if you expect us to do our job, then do YOURS!
    BE A LEADER!

Confidence***********ZERO!

This quote could not be more fitting.

"It is absurd that a man should rule others, who cannot rule himself". —Latin Proverb
    He can't quit chasing every piece of tail. He's a stalker. Once a stalker, always a stalker

Unregistered
    I'm sure it will all eventually come out. Let's wait and see how many other women come forward. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them are or were within the department. He won't be able to talk his way out of it. His days are probably numbered. Arrogance at its finest.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast