Chuck Norris we are not!

Unregistered

Chuck Norris we are not!

Most agencies dedicate a 8Hr block every three to four years on handcuffing/ unarmed defense tactics training. No self defense expert on this planet will say this is enough training to be efficient at these tactics. Most of this training is geared more toward agency liability than proficiency. We still very much bring our natural ability, off duty conditioning, to the job. As we know this runs the gambit from workout feigns to damn, really. State Physical Agilities guidelines, are at best, more designed to weed out ADA applicants than physical fitness. The public has this false sense that cops are more like Chuck Norris, when in reality, our training is minimal in this area.

Unregistered
    Great point...however....I (nor should any officer) don't look at the police department to give me everything. Every officer needs to invest into their own career/survival. I have always found it funny that for some reason, every tactical course I have ever attended, I run into the same group of guys. Meanwhile, some of the guys that really should be attending, don't ever bother signing up.

Let's say the excuse is "my dept won't approve my training requests", then it goes back to my previous statement. Sign up for one of the billion MMA, martial arts, boxing gyms by your house.

I am not saying that you are wrong...I am simply saying that you should not expect the department to make you Chuck Norris, but you should go out and try to make yourself Chuck Norris...be safe

Unregistered

(court) 'Defensive tactics'

realize this - as many street smart convicts and punks do - we are not taught shit in the academy - the curriculuum is designed to be court defensible - not officer protective - you are expendible and its way cheaper and less headache to roll you out on a disability or payout a line of duty death claim - nice and tidy - opposed to you unleashing a flurry of locks strikes and blows to disable a suspect - whose inevitable 'excessive force' claim will follow his (often richly deserved) arrest which included a dose of ground shock.

there is no one best 'style' or system - find something you like and practice it - you do not need to become a belt in anything - just become super proficient in several good moves which work for you

the bullshit in the academy was joke and I clashed politely with the DT instructors - I had several years of Okinawan goju ryu (military), and the bullshit block block bullshit went totally against what I was instilled with - block, block, then attack attack attack, the shit one is taught in the academy is worthless - damned straight I used my military time training on the street.

though I did master the pr-24 come alongs after taking a liking to how quickly one can tie someone up low key..

many street punks are mma wannabes and they do not have use of force or continuum bulshit to worry about - a decently trained one will disable you and make you his punk with a few quick blows before you know what happened.