Marked cars?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marked cars?

Unregistered

Marked cars?

I saw some pictures of marked cars on the internet. Is this just a show car or is thatreally what you drive? I can't imagine it would be effectie lulling up to a bar and eerone seeing that billboard of a car

Uncle Buck
    Gather 'round kids. Let me tell you a story that defies logic.

We once had a director that wanted to share his vision of what a plain clothes investigative agency should be.

This director spent tens of thousands to bring that vision to realty. This particular brand of lunacy included Class A and Class B uniforms. Not the standard stuff mind you, but real showcase stuff which included real Stetson campaign hats, shiny Safariland duty gear, shiny shoes and a breast plate size badge that could signal circling aircraft. Just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier, along came 12 brand new police package Impalas. These weren't your normal Impalas. These babies were fully police equipped with state of the art front and rear led blue lights, corner strobes, rear flashing arrow bar, full featured siren/pa control panel, shotgun rack, cage, and every thing else you would see in a real police car. They were marked with beautiful graphics and drew a crowd at every Sonny's in Florida. This same genius issued UTC books! Can you believe it? We couldn't either.

A few months go by and the genius director was flushed along with his dream of reinventing ABT to a uniformed patrol agency or the laughing stock of state law enforcement - we were never quite sure since the dream was not openly shared.
    The cars were eventually stripped and the very expensive uniforms and gear were given to less fortunate agencies.
    Despite all that craziness it still wasn't the worse thing to happen here.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Gather 'round kids. Let me tell you a story that defies logic.

We once had a director that wanted to share his vision of what a plain clothes investigative agency should be.

This director spent tens of thousands to bring that vision to realty. This particular brand of lunacy included Class A and Class B uniforms. Not the standard stuff mind you, but real showcase stuff which included real Stetson campaign hats, shiny Safariland duty gear, shiny shoes and a breast plate size badge that could signal circling aircraft. Just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier, along came 12 brand new police package Impalas. These weren't your normal Impalas. These babies were fully police equipped with state of the art front and rear led blue lights, corner strobes, rear flashing arrow bar, full featured siren/pa control panel, shotgun rack, cage, and every thing else you would see in a real police car. They were marked with beautiful graphics and drew a crowd at every Sonny's in Florida. This same genius issued UTC books! Can you believe it? We couldn't either.

A few months go by and the genius director was flushed along with his dream of reinventing ABT to a uniformed patrol agency or the laughing stock of state law enforcement - we were never quite sure since the dream was not openly shared.
    The cars were eventually stripped and the very expensive uniforms and gear were given to less fortunate agencies.
    Despite all that craziness it still wasn't the worse thing to happen here.
    Interesting......................but, you can't leave it there. What was the worst thing that happened?

Uncle Buck
    The worst thing?
    Having a marked car and a really fancy Class A was an amusement.

I considered the worst thing to be giving away 30% of sworn positions without a fight.

Other damaging acts included bringing in line supervisors from outside the agency.
    Not having a testing process for promotions or applicants.
    Allowing the agency to become a dumping ground for political appointees.

Some would say these things were good. It just depends on if you benefited. Some did. Many didn't. When you consider our roots were in the only statewide plainclothes investigative law enforcement agency in Florida, we certainly didn't benefit from leadership choices over the last 40 or so years. The sun will definitely set on this agency.

Unregistered
    Has anyone seen the new uniform? We are setting the standard, for we will be the only agency in the state to have patches and yes even velcro name tags on a POLO shirt. Have ou ever seen a polo shirt with patches sewn and velcroed on? Yup we set the standard!!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Has anyone seen the new uniform? We are setting the standard, for we will be the only agency in the state to have patches and yes even velcro name tags on a POLO shirt. Have ou ever seen a polo shirt with patches sewn and velcroed on? Yup we set the standard!!
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Unregistered
    Uncle Buck, I just wet myself a little reading your comments. Thanks for the laugh and the soggy britches (Comes with old age. Can't laugh too hard without wetting myself.) The place I retired from is truly amazing.

Unregistered
    The worst thing?

I considered the worst thing to be giving away 30% of sworn positions without a fight.

Other damaging acts included bringing in line supervisors from outside the agency.

Some would say these things were good. It just depends on if you benefited. Some did. Many didn't. When you consider our roots were in the only statewide plainclothes investigative law enforcement agency in Florida, we certainly didn't benefit from leadership choices over the last 40 or so years. The sun will definitely set on this agency.
    Uncle Buck: What you said tells me that you and I served at the same time. I had to take a test to qualify for the position of "State Beverage Agent." Then the background resulting in being hired. Years later I had to take a test for the promotional position of Sergeant which upon reflection after being promoted, was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Young people don't need supervision these days because when they walk in the front door, they already know everything. If you have a problem with a subordinate and that person is a minority or female, forget it. Those buffoons in Tallahassee don't want to hear about it. The two tests that I alluded to have since been cancelled which begs the question "why"? We both know the answer to that. But............let someone make a complaint against you (supervisor) even if it's anonymous they (IA) will be at your office within 2-days to investigate. I accused them of having a bullet train parked beside the Johns building with the engine running explaining their quick response. I don't know if you're retired now as am I but to be honest, I don't miss any of it. I was there long enough to have experienced the good along with the bad. In today's climate, I don't see the good days as we remember them coming back.

Uncle Buck
    I have to say this place is not what it once was. It has been a good ride and a career serving with some great and not so great people. Would I do it again? Not in the current climate. The Beverage Department was a force to be reckoned with. The DBPR version? Not so much. I guess that mediocrity has a place in state government.

Unregistered
    The worst thing?

Still true

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast