An Open Letter to Cop Haters

Unregistered

An Open Letter to Cop Haters

Dear Cop Haters,

Please tell me what would make you happy. Would it make you happy if no one was ever pulled over for traffic infractions? Maybe it would, until the day your kid gets run over by a careless driver, then it's the crime of the century. Would it make you happy if no one was ever pulled over for DUI? Perhaps, until your family member gets killed by a drunk driver who was just out for a good time and had a little too much to drink. Would it make you happy if we stopped looking for drugs? It's possible, until a close friend of your overdoses on bath salts, Molly, or bad heroin, then you would point out how little we do to counter drugs. Would it make you happy if we never again tried to disperse a fight or unruly crowd at a bar, in the ghetto, or in Anytown USA? I certain it would, until someone knocks you out and you demand justice. I am sure it would make you happy if cops would just go away all together. But what would really happen? It's not like we are conscripts from a some cop factory in Iowa. Most of us are from where we work and care about the community. When chaos takes over we would be fine. We are well armed, trained and accustomed to violence. You, however, are not. You think it's all love and peace and that we should all be able to what we want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But what is your answer for those who don't think the way you do? What do you think is the solution for people who don't care if you live or die? Let's see how your video tactics, harassment tactics, or your occupy tactics work for you then. I suggest you go watch the movie The Purge. You will be the guy getting his guts pulled out because someone else thought it was fun. I am all for some anarchy, the heard could use some thinning. Now I am not saying I am the hero, the answer, or the solution. But cops are defenders of the law, if you don't like it change it. And when you try please add a law that says I never have to come to your house when your family suffers from a burglary, theft, rape or murder. That would be awesome.

Thanks, Porky Pig

Unregistered
    People are not cop haters by nature, and most support legal and constitutional law enforcement that protects our freedoms, rights and liberties under the Constitution. Unfortunately, Law Enforcement Agencies are militarizing and are being used against we, the people in too many examples. Unconstitutional stops, attacks on our First and Second and Fifth Amendment rights are too frequent. Political decisions frame the leadership of too many Agencies. I support all Law Enforcement work that does what it is allowed to do under the Constitution, no more and no less and also Law Enforcement work that is not just a revenue collection agency for local Cities looking to bolster their purses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dear Cop Haters,

Please tell me what would make you happy. Would it make you happy if no one was ever pulled over for traffic infractions? Maybe it would, until the day your kid gets run over by a careless driver, then it's the crime of the century. Would it make you happy if no one was ever pulled over for DUI? Perhaps, until your family member gets killed by a drunk driver who was just out for a good time and had a little too much to drink. Would it make you happy if we stopped looking for drugs? It's possible, until a close friend of your overdoses on bath salts, Molly, or bad heroin, then you would point out how little we do to counter drugs. Would it make you happy if we never again tried to disperse a fight or unruly crowd at a bar, in the ghetto, or in Anytown USA? I certain it would, until someone knocks you out and you demand justice. I am sure it would make you happy if cops would just go away all together. But what would really happen? It's not like we are conscripts from a some cop factory in Iowa. Most of us are from where we work and care about the community. When chaos takes over we would be fine. We are well armed, trained and accustomed to violence. You, however, are not. You think it's all love and peace and that we should all be able to what we want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But what is your answer for those who don't think the way you do? What do you think is the solution for people who don't care if you live or die? Let's see how your video tactics, harassment tactics, or your occupy tactics work for you then. I suggest you go watch the movie The Purge. You will be the guy getting his guts pulled out because someone else thought it was fun. I am all for some anarchy, the heard could use some thinning. Now I am not saying I am the hero, the answer, or the solution. But cops are defenders of the law, if you don't like it change it. And when you try please add a law that says I never have to come to your house when your family suffers from a burglary, theft, rape or murder. That would be awesome.

Thanks, Porky Pig

Unregistered

Cool

People are not cop haters by nature, and most support legal and constitutional law enforcement that protects our freedoms, rights and liberties under the Constitution. Unfortunately, Law Enforcement Agencies are militarizing and are being used against we, the people in too many examples. Unconstitutional stops, attacks on our First and Second and Fifth Amendment rights are too frequent. Political decisions frame the leadership of too many Agencies. I support all Law Enforcement work that does what it is allowed to do under the Constitution, no more and no less and also Law Enforcement work that is not just a revenue collection agency for local Cities looking to bolster their purses.
    Thank you for your response and opinion. I respect your right to think and say anything you like. It is a right often taken for granted. Having said that, here is my response to your position. This whole concept of "militarization of law enforcement" is nothing but current media hype in light of the response to a full on riot in Missouri. Do you see machine guns mounted on police vehicles? Are there rockets hanging off of racks on police helicopters? Do you see M1 Abrams Tanks cruising down your home town streets? Are cops suddenly carrying squad automatic weapons and wearing combat gear? No. The simple and direct answer is no. What you do see are decommissioned military transport vehicles that have been sold off for pennies on the dollar to law enforcement agencies who could use armored vehicles for very specific functions. Ask LAPD if they could have used a bullet proof vehicle on February 28, 1997 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout). I heard some news outlets condemning the purchase of grenade launchers by police agencies, asking what they would need those for. Please advise the last time that a police agency fired a High Explosive (HE) grenade at anyone, ever. You can't, because it does not happen. They have been used to launch gas (Tear Gas and OC), and less lethal rounds like foam batons and bean bags. If there are "too many examples" of when police have used military equipment against people then please name one. A legitimate one. Good luck.

As far as unlawful stops and seizures, perhaps we should just hire attorneys to be cops. Perhaps we are just too stupid to understand the rights of people granted under the Constitution. Or perhaps things are not always as clear as you think they are. Perhaps if people would save their battles for the courts in lieu of the streets, there would be less chaos. Maybe if 2nd Amendment Extremists would stop carry assault rifles in public to make a political statement there would be more support for gun owner's rights. People like you go looking for opportunities to confront police when you have an agenda to push. You support law enforcement as long as it does not infringe on what you think your rights are, is a more accurate statement of your mindset. Well, too bad, you don't live in 1876 and you are no Cowboy. Perhaps you should try some less restrictive countries like South Africa, Columbia or Fantasyland, I hear they are sort on know-it-all amateur lawyers.

Porky "Stupid Cop" Pig

Unregistered
    Well said!

Unregistered
    Its not people are cop haters. Most dislike an officers when some action is taken against them or in general many cops have superior attitude when they come in contact with people. It's my way or the highway, you may beat the time but not the ride and so forth. Personally many officers and deputies do an outstanding job. Many times a thankless one. I for one are glad you all are out there. You all know who your problem child's. are. There's generally one in every sector.
    How do you handle them? That's a hard question nor a fair one. Most of the general pubic understand. What you all are going thru, Have to deal with on a daily basic. Until they are a victim or stopped by you. Most of the time it's the uniform their talking to or down too. Not us. It's easy to judge a whole department on one's action. Especially when your contact is a negative one. A ticket ,wow, those seem to really piss people off.

Unregistered
    Its not people are cop haters. Most dislike an officers when some action is taken against them or in general many cops have superior attitude when they come in contact with people. It's my way or the highway, you may beat the time but not the ride and so forth. Personally many officers and deputies do an outstanding job. Many times a thankless one. I for one are glad you all are out there. You all know who your problem child's. are. There's generally one in every sector.
    How do you handle them? That's a hard question nor a fair one. Most of the general pubic understand. What you all are going thru, Have to deal with on a daily basic. Until they are a victim or stopped by you. Most of the time it's the uniform their talking to or down too. Not us. It's easy to judge a whole department on one's action. Especially when your contact is a negative one. A ticket ,wow, those seem to really piss people off.
    I agree and understand this. It is really hard not to come off with a superior attitude when you are expected to control uncontrollable situations. It takes a long time for most of us to get to the point where we can appear calm and courteous but still be effectively on guard. It normally is "my way or the highway" and I agree with "you can beat the case but not the ride" too. We are not counselors, psychologists, therapists, teachers, parent coaches or mediators. We are peace keepers and law enforcers.

The "problem child". That is all of us at any given point in a career. Some of us grow out of it or have it beaten out of us. Some of us learn smarter ways to solve problems. And some of us never learn, or it takes a really long time to figure it out. People forget that cops are people too. We are not programmable machines. We have emotions, fears, biases, and perceptions subject to error. Attitude goes a long way in molding someone's opinion of you. By like all things people remember the bad more than the good that we do. Everyone has a bad day, when ours happens it gets media attention. Oh well.

Unregistered

Civilization’s Protectors

As a civilian, I deeply appreciate the difficult job of law enforcement. I’m glad that I don’t have to live in a “Mad Max” world without rule of law. The roads are becoming more like “Road Warrior” though. If you guys could do something about the increasing numbers of reckless tailgaters it would be appreciated.

Unregistered
    The majority of citizens are pro-law enforcement. The media has us just as worked up as the black community. If you work in legitimately bad areas of the county, you know as well as I do that even people in those communities support us. Sure they may have some bad experience, but watch how quickly they disarm and calm down when you talk to them like a human being. Respect works both ways, we usually say that to people but it includes us. I see plenty of really good and dedicated deputies that still seem to hold themselves aloof from the people they come in contact with.

Im not saying to kiss ass or take shit. Adjust youre bearing and take control of your calls, but think once in a while about how you want to be treated as a citizen if you ever take off the uniform. Thats all I'm saying. If someone needs the ride they take the ride, if they fight address that. But aside from that i think we all need to take a breathe and realise the stuff on the street we are seeing is never going to change if we dont commit to changing it to.

Unregistered
    I'm not a cop hater. Just can't understand the actions one feels they need to take. Take me for instance, I don't look for special treatment cause I'm a officer for another large department in South Florida. I was up visiting family, using my brothers car. Who happens to work with you all. I got stopped by one of your deputies. After talking down to me for about 15 mins. He wrote me a ticket for a tail light being out. How was I to know? I didn't walk around his car before I used it. Yes, I was in use so a argument can be said. It's my responsibility to know. Be real! It's hard not to lump, all PCSD deputies into the azz box of a agency. All it take's is one, encounter with a person with a superior attitude over everyone else. Now will I, tell the people in my unit. NO breaks for law Enforcement of any type? No, I won't. Dealing with one azzhole in my opinion, doesn't reflex the entire department. Maybe I'm wrong, I have been before. Just wanted to share my encounter, so the key board warriors, can have more to say and belittle others.