Scandal: There Is NO Incident Report for the Michael Brown Shooting! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

These are not your parents’ cops

As numerous commentators have already noted, American police have undergone a massive transformation in recent decades. Militarized police departments are on the rise, with no sign of this trend slowing any time soon. It started with the war on drugs in the ’80s, followed by the now-famous “1033 Program,” a federal program that allows the military to sell discount weapons, supplies and munitions to local police departments, capped off finally by a massive infusion of new resources following the Sept. 11 attacks. (And while the 1033 program has earned the bulk of the attention, it’s important to note that it’s “only” provided local cops with $4.3 billion in new supplies, a number dwarfed by the $34 billion the Department of Homeland Security has provided since 9/11.)

There are plenty of great explainers that you can read about how all of this came to be; the Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald recently provided a useful summary, as did Amanda Taub for Vox. But even if these accounts do nothing to change your perception of the police today, one must ask: Where does it end? At what point do cops become so weaponized, so hostile to their citizenry and shielded from responsibility or blame that our suspicions of the institution gain merit? And crucially — who gets to decide?
    Nail on the head!!!!

When liberals are being critical of cops, the criticism is largely directed at the institution itself, with its habit of overreaching its authority and protecting its own from prosecution whenever possible. It’s an institution that generally bristles at the mere suggestion that oversight is needed (rather than, say, acknowledging oversight as a crucial element of any system that bequeaths exceptional power upon individuals). The legal power to take another person’s life surely merits objective accountability, despite what our friends at the Fraternal Order might tell us. Cops are people – just as fragile and flawed as the rest of us.

When we are critical of cops, then, we’re not attempting to shit-talk your cousin, friend, sister or parent who’s worked on the force for years and represents its best characteristics. We’re criticizing a system that reflexively defends itself from any and all complaint with platitudes intended to shut down debate — such as “not all cops are bad.”
    Once again right on target!

Unregistered

Armchair Cops

It's so easy for us to sit back and spout out our opinions on how a particular incident, like Ferguson, was handled when we have days and hours to do so. The real fact is that unless you were there, knew exactly what was transpiring through the officers mind during the overall incident and have personally spent a significant amount of time as a police officer in todays crazy world, I ask this question; who are we to prejudge the actions taken by this officer until after ALL THE FACTS OF THE CASE are released and thoroughly investigated. Also, even after ALL the details are released and a decision is made one way or the other, how many of us may have taken the same course of action as this officer did, if in your mind as well as his, you truly felt that your life was on the line and you had only moments to make a decision, not the days, weeks and hours that so many people have used to sadly take sides in this case.

I was a law enforcement officer for well over 20 years on a large urbanized police force and NEVER fired my weapon in the line of duty. However, I did have to draw my service weapon often due to the number of violent natured calls I responded to and on exactly three occassions, which stay with most cops forever, I found myself a fraction of a second away from pulling the trigger on my weapon. As I stated, I never did, but that was because these three incidents that had reason for me to fear for my life, de-escalated themselves at the same fraction of a second. Now every time I hear the uproar and media scrutiny over a incident like Ferguson, I think back and wonder if this would have happened to me if I had made the SPLIT SECOND decision to fire my weapon in any of those three instances. All I know for absolute sure right now, is that I'm so very glad to be done with that Thankless profession.

Unregistered

Question Where's the Florida deputy (a-hem) 'student' with ALL the knowledge?

Sorry former officer Page but I'm Taig Irish not a heartless bigoted Proddy such as yourself.

I can say when I retire in less then nine months that I did not turn the profession of law enforcement into nothing more then a paid band of mindless vigilantes.
    You would have fit in just fine with the 1 Para that pulled the trigger in Bogside Sunday evening.

Must go now have much more actual facts to place here to inform people.

I'm counting the days when I can get my six figure DROP check and languish in relaxation knowing I was what a law enforcement officer was really supposed to be.

You on the other hand will be making the rounds at the tinfoil hat wearers meetings spouting your hate and anger that you generated over the years.

With any luck you will fall into rank of the other "I got no respect as a cop" group. With in seven years you will either have a stroke, heart attack, drink yourself to death our swallow your old off duty gun.

If you have any care left for the public you treated like crap, you would spare them and me any more of your hate filled anger and immediately apply the latter of the four above mentioned.

Have a real great day disgraced Officer Krupke (ret.)
    Hey Deputy Paddy-Taig, we're waiting on those facts...
    Or can we read them in your dissertation @ FSU? When (if) you graduate, will you be teaching white-guilt?
    As you once so eloquently stated, "Th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345