Shoot / Don't Shoot Michael Brown Justification

View Poll Results: Was Off. Darren Wilson justified in using deadly force against Michael Brown?

Voters
398. This poll is closed
  • Absolutely, he was in fear of his life and had reason to be!

237 59.55%
  • I believe he was more justified than being unjustified.

47 11.81%
  • I am indifferent or I do not know.

9 2.26%
  • I believe he was more unjustified than being justified.

3 0.75%
  • Absolutely not, he should have never used deadly force!

13 3.27%
  • I do not have enough information to make a decision yet.

86 21.61%
  • I believe he was justified in shooting, but he should have shot to wound.

3 0.75%
  • My opinion is not currently in the above options.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

Shoot / Don't Shoot Michael Brown Justification

This is certainly a highly contested event that is in the national spotlight. A Ferguson Police Department (Missouri) officer shot and killed an unarmed young black man on August 9, 2014. The title of this string is meant to cover exactly what it states, the justification for shooting or for not shooting Michael Brown.

According to news sources 18 year old Michael Brown, in the company of 22 year old Dorian Johnson, stole a box of Swisher Sweets Cigars valued at $48.99 from a Quik Trip store by means of strong arm robbery. These facts should not be in contention because there is a video of the robbery and Johnson later admitted that Brown took “cigarillos”. It should also be noted that Brown is listed as being 6’4” and 292 pounds. After responding to an unrelated call, Officer Darren Wilson stopped Brown and Johnson because they were walking down the middle of the road blocking traffic. Officer Wilson, who is 28 years old and has been a Ferguson police officer for 6 years, was not aware that Brown was a robbery suspect at the time. Accounts of the story then differ. Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson stated that one of the men pushed Off. Wilson into his police car. Brown assaulted and struggled with Officer Wilson inside his car, a struggle ensued over the officer’s weapon and a shot was fired inside the car. It was also stated that the struggle moved to the street where Brown was shot multiple times. There is also a report that the officer was injured and had swelling to his face. In contrast, CNN located two new witnesses (Tiffany Mitchell and Piaget Crenshaw) who said they never saw the struggle inside the officer’s car. In addition, Dorian Johnson stated that Off. Wilson ordered him and Brown onto the sidewalk, Off. Wilson grabbed Brown’s Neck and tried pulling him into the car before pulling his weapon and firing it. Johnson then said that Brown started to run away while Off. Wilson gave chase and began firing.

Some of the news accounts above are conflicting and it can be hard to weed out fact from fiction. As most of us know, this is not unusual in law enforcement. Add to that the fact that departments cease to give out information during criminal and internal investigations for obvious reasons, but that makes them fair game for people who know they can’t fully defend themselves or actions until the investigations are over. As for the credibility of witnesses and those seeking their 15 minutes of fame, you’re left to make your own determination on that one.

Some Sources Utilized:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...GFN/story.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...line/14051827/

http://gawker.com/watch-conflicting-...r-p-1621414491
    Last edited by chipdeblock; 08-20-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Unregistered

Cool

Police Officer Darren Wilson has committed a crime now he needs to pay the price. No one is above the law in this country. Also, when you put on that uniform you are representing something bigger than yourself; you should be held to a higher standard. Police Officers have plenty of tools at their disposal to get the job done safely. Lastly, Police Officers need to police their own; one bad apple makes them all look bad.

Unregistered
    At least he was keeping his booger hook off the bang switch....

Unregistered

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    At least he was keeping his booger hook off the bang switch....
    what does that mean?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Police Officer Darren Wilson has committed a crime now he needs to pay the price. No one is above the law in this country. Also, when you put on that uniform you are representing something bigger than yourself; you should be held to a higher standard. Police Officers have plenty of tools at their disposal to get the job done safely. Lastly, Police Officers need to police their own; one bad apple makes them all look bad.
    You are making an assumption while ignoring the few facts available. First, Brown just committed a strong arm robbery. There is video showing him manhandling a smaller store employee minutes prior to his confrontation with Wilson. According to Johnson's initial statements, they hadn't been doing anything to warrant a police officer confronting them. What about blocking traffic and having just committed a robbery? Even if the officer wasn't aware of it, Brown and Johnson were. If Brown was quick to attack the store employee for blocking his path, is it unreasonable to assume he would physically attack a police officer minutes later if he thought the officer was aware of the crime and was going to arrest him? Another part that doesn't make sense is Johnson's contention that Wilson for no reason grabbed Brown around the neck and tried to drag him into the car through a window. Brown was 6'04 and 292 lbs. it is beyond belief that anyone would try to do this. If even part of this is true that Brown was partially in the vehicle at one time, it makes more sense that Brown put himself there such as shoving Wilson into the vehicle where a struggle ensued.

Unregistered
    Please explain how officer Wilson committed a crime. Oh because he shot a man who had just committed a robbery and was assaulting him, while trying to take his weapon. Your statement is ignorant and void. You apperantly base judgement off of emotion instead of facts. While place your self in the officers shoes. You would have shot as well. But because the officer is white and the kid is black let's make an example out of this officer. You will be pissed when the good officers quit the job because of people like yourselves and then are stuck with the "bullies, and self entitled jerks" and when that time comes, you have no justification to shoot off at the mouth.

Unregistered
    Guys, go to Gofundme.com Darren Wilson You can show your support! If any of us was attacked in our own police car and had to shoot to save our lives I know we all would appreciate the support.

THE ABOVE POST IS INACCURATE. I REFERENCED THE WEBSITE LISTED ABOVE AND WAS UNABLE TO FIND ANY LISTING UNDER "DARREN WILSON" - MOD 11

Here is the updated one. They switched it from the original to this one. http://www.gofundme.com/officerwilsonfundraiser. Mod 1
    Last edited by MOD 1; 08-23-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Unregistered
    I went to that website and only found Operation Ferguson. An anonymous B/F is looking to collect $750 because "it is time" for her to make the trip to Ferguson and "stand in solidarity" with her "brothers and sisters fighting for justice". Her account of the story, listed on the site, is heavily slanted of course and names Off. Darren Wilson as "Michael Brown's murderer".

I love the part where she says "All in all, 'WE FIRED UP.WE CAN'T TAKE NO MORE.'"

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the $750 will go towards her $564 flight, food expenses and "any potential mishaps while in Ferguson". Sounds to me like she wants people to finance her vacation. Don't laugh too quickly though, she's already raised $655 from 22 people in 3 days. Here's the link: http://www.gofundme.com/OperationFerguson

Unregistered
    https://www.facebook.com/LRISOnline/...725679?fref=nf

REPOSTED

LRIS
    August 20 at 2:32pm ·

I've hesitated to comment on what's going on in Ferguson, since there's no real link to labor relations. However, having responded to well over 100 officer-involved shootings in my career, and having being involved in trials in some of those cases, I wanted to make three basic points:

1. We haven't yet heard the officer's account. Plain and simple, hearing a police chief say what an officer said isn't the same thing as hearing from the officer. Rushing to judgment about what the officer did or didn't do is to deprive him of the same basic due process we'd expect him to accord those he encounters on the job.

2. People uninvolved with the law don't appreciate how eyewitness testimony about critical incidents is often terrible. I could do a post on "the crazy things eyewitnesses have said they saw," but it would be a long, long post. In the case of Ferguson, we've already seen a key eyewitness report that Brown was shot in the back while running away, a report that fueled an intensely negative public response. Now we've seen the autopsy commissioned by the Brown family show that the eyewitness was flatly wrong. That an eyewitness could be so wrong about so important a fact wouldn't surprise anyone who's unraveled these incidents, but it sure would shock many in the public.

3. Science now tells us a lot about what the officer was going through during the incident. Thanks to doctors like Bill Lewinsky, Darrell Ross, Roger Solomon, and others, we know much more than we did about how the brain reacts in a critical incident. We know the involvement of the prefrontal cortex, the thalamus, the amygdala, the hypothalamus, and more. We know the impact of the release of norepinephrine, cortisols, and proteins. And we also know that the officer is likely going through the worst moment of his life, not only because of the public reaction, but because his body and mind are likely working their way through some pretty horrible effects of PTSD.

I understand that Ferguson is now a story about much more than an officer-involved shooting, much more than a story about what happened to bring the lives of two men together in such a terrible way. There are lots of discussions worth having that start with Ferguson. The general state of race relations in our country. How the economics of present-day Ferguson may say something about the future for our daughters and sons. What we need to do to improve police-community interaction. And many more huge issues and many more that are less significant.

But one thing we should never lose track of are the actual facts of the incident. If we are so quick to rush to judgment that the facts no longer matter, then perhaps that's the discussion we should be having first. - Will Aitchison

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal
    In any democracy freedom is an ongoing struggle. Shoot-don't shoot. Where were all the furgeson residents at voting time
    Voting is part of governmental control. Ignorance & supitity are self induced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast