Auxiliary Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Auxiliary Questions

Hey there, I have a few questions surrounding FHPA I would like to get clarified.

I understand to join the auxiliary it has the same hiring process as joining full time and If I go auxiliary and want to go full time, that I redo the hiring process again and that I have to do the TRC program(I already graduated an academy and passed the state exam.)

My question is, let's say for argument sake, in my case since I graduated the academy and I'm "certifiable" will going auxiliary activate my certification? My main concern is I don't want my certification to reach its 4 year expiration deadline. Another question I have is I read on its website that there is a 319 hour course. Is this before getting into the auxiliary program or after getting into the auxiliary? Is the 319 hour classes in the FHP academy or in your local station?

Just to save some confusion on how I wrote my questions, here are the steps to FHPA that I heard from and read up on:

1)Apply
    2)Application Process(interview, background etc etc)
    3)Conditional Offer/Offer of acceptance
    4)319 hour courses
    5)"Swear in."

Basically what im getting different information on is that either you do the 319 hour course then get into the Auxiliary or Get into the Auxiliary then complete the 319 hour course little by little. Then im thinking about my Certification, will it get activated before or after the 319 course or if I even have to do the course all together

Re: Auxiliary Questions

Quote Originally Posted by BlEgraduate
    Hey there, I have a few questions surrounding FHPA I would like to get clarified.

I understand to join the auxiliary it has the same hiring process as joining full time and If I go auxiliary and want to go full time, that I redo the hiring process again and that I have to do the TRC program(I already graduated an academy and passed the state exam.)

My question is, let's say for argument sake, in my case since I graduated the academy and I'm "certifiable" will going auxiliary activate my certification? My main concern is I don't want my certification to reach its 4 year expiration deadline. Another question I have is I read on its website that there is a 319 hour course. Is this before getting into the auxiliary program or after getting into the auxiliary? Is the 319 hour classes in the FHP academy or in your local station?

Just to save some confusion on how I wrote my questions, here are the steps to FHPA that I heard from and read up on:

1)Apply
    4)319 hour courses
    5)"Swear in."

Basically what im getting different information on is that either you do the 319 hour course then get into the Auxiliary or Get into the Auxiliary then complete the 319 hour course little by little. Then im thinking about my Certification, will it get activated before or after the 319 course or if I even have to do the course all together
    To answer your questions:
    If you are accepted into the Auxiliary, then your certification will activate. You will not need to take the 319 hour course. You will, however, need to complete agency-specific training prior to being appointed.

1)Apply
    4)319 hour courses
    5)"Swear in."

If you are accepted into the Auxiliary, then your certification will activate. You will not need to take the 319 hour course. You will, however, need to complete agency-specific training prior to being appointed.

1)Apply
    4)319 hour courses
    5)"Swear in."

Thanks for the reply. How long is the agency-specific training? Is it in the FHP academy in Tallahassee?

Thanks for the reply. How long is the agency-specific training? Is it in the FHP academy in Tallahassee?
    Agency-specific training usually takes several months. It is conducted at the local Troops. On occassion, applicants have had to travel to neighboring Troops to complete the training.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Agency-specific training usually takes several months. It is conducted at the local Troops. On occassion, applicants have had to travel to neighboring Troops to complete the training.
    If entering the Auxiliary will active my certification since I been through an academy and passed the state exam, will I be in a certain "classification" within the Auxiliary? Just curious if that 319 hour course will be looked at as equivalent or what not.

Quote Originally Posted by guest55998
    If entering the Auxiliary will active my certification since I been through an academy and passed the state exam, will I be in a certain "classification" within the Auxiliary? Just curious if that 319 hour course will be looked at as equivalent or what not.
    Upon being appointed, you will begin as a Level II Auxiliary Trooper. Currently there are four levels: I: Civilian, may assist in administrative roles only and perform non-law enforcement functions. II: Issued weapon, equipment, and uniform, may ride with Troopers and perform law enforcement functions. III: May drive a patrol vehicle and assist motorists and Troopers on the road. IV: May do all functions of a Level III while also being able to work some crashes (basically a Community Service Officer) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by: "Just curious if that 319 hour course will be looked at as equivalent or what not" You will not need to take that 319 hour course since you hold an active certification from CJSTC.

Upon being appointed, you will begin as a Level II Auxiliary Trooper. Currently there are four levels: I: Civilian, may assist in administrative roles only and perform non-law enforcement functions. II: Issued weapon, equipment, and uniform, may ride with Troopers and perform law enforcement functions. III: May drive a patrol vehicle and assist motorists and Troopers on the road. IV: May do all functions of a Level III while also being able to work some crashes (basically a Community Service Officer) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by: "Just curious if that 319 hour course will be looked at as equivalent or what not" You will not need to take that 319 hour course since you hold an active certification from CJSTC.

Can auxiliary pull Off-duties? I usually see some FHP guys at the local movie theater or construction sites but don't know if their FHPA. If so, do they get paid on the off-duties? Assuming maybe level III or IV?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx99

Can auxiliary pull Off-duties? I usually see some FHP guys at the local movie theater or construction sites but don't know if their FHPA. If so, do they get paid on the off-duties? Assuming maybe level III or IV?
    The Troopers you see at the movie theater or construction sites are not FHPA; they are full-time Troopers working off-duty police employment (ODPE) FHPA Troopers do work "details" however....these include college football games, county fairs, the Daytona Speedway races and other events. The payment for these details goes to the Auxiliary account and not the individual Auxiliary member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast