Find Employment Elsewhere!

Find Employment Elsewhere!

Looking for a career in law enforcement? Do you want to earn competitive wages and benefits? If so, DO NOT apply at the Delray Beach Police Department. I could list twenty reasons why but simply pick up the phone and call City Hall. Ask for Human Resources and 'ask' the following:

1) Ask, 'What is the starting pay for police officers with a two year or four year degree?'
    2) Ask, 'When did officers receive their last pay raise?'
    3) Ask, 'How much was that 'pay raise' and who received it?'
    4) Ask, 'What is the top out salary for (Master Police Officer)", but more importantly,
    5) Ask, 'How long does it take to achieve 'top out' salary?
    6) Ask, 'How much it costs to obtain medical, dental and eye insurance for a family of 2, 3 or 4?' (sit down when asking)
    7) Ask, 'Is the City planning on changing the current pension plan?
    8) Ask, 'Is the City planning on continuing to withhold salary increases for another 6 years?'

Compare these wages and benefits with other agencies, like PBSO as they are and have primarily been the agency worth spending a meaningful career with, as well as, appreciated for the work you do.

When you call City Hall you'll probably get an answer similar to 'dubba-dubba-dubba-double-speak,dubba-dubba-dubba yes we can' but we have no control. That is the signal to RUN...RUN as far away as you can.

Unregistered
    Well, the flood gates have opened and current employees are either in the process of leaving or like a few others, have already left. So far, Lighthouse Point in Broward seems to be the hot ticket! Wait until PBSO announces their need to hire several hundred deputies in the coming months. The 'blood-letting' is just beginning and the City continues to bury it's head in the sand.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, the flood gates have opened and current employees are either in the process of leaving or like a few others, have already left. So far, Lighthouse Point in Broward seems to be the hot ticket! Wait until PBSO announces their need to hire several hundred deputies in the coming months. The 'blood-letting' is just beginning and the City continues to bury it's head in the sand.
    I feel for everyone at DBPD. I know a few guys who work there and run into many due to also being an officer at another municipality in PBC. It's getting rough out there for a lot of agencies like Delray and even Boynton too because the cities just aren't backing them. It might be better if PBSO took over a lot of different cities like BSO has done down in Broward. Cities like Delray are going to see their officers flee to other departments and dangerous manpower shortages will occur. I know a couple Delray guys have left for places like Lighthouse Point which was mentioned above but that's not a spot for a young officer. That's a retirement/2nd career place. Sure they money looks good up front but your entire career would be on the road and no take home cars etc. Right now most guys looking to leave should look at places like PBSO, Boca PD, and maybe even West Palm ,etc. I know PBSO and Boca are hiring and no significant benefit changes coming any time soon. Good luck to you guys out there.