Trauma Kit

Thread: Trauma Kit

Trauma Kit

Hello All,

I am a new hire in a decent sized sheriff's office in Florida and had a question regarding trauma kits and their wear on duty.

Though I am new to law enforcement, I come from a family that is rooted in it (5 total immediate family) and I am also a combat veteran with two trips overseas. Gunshot trauma isn't a new concept to me, and I was actually surprised that it is seemingly only now becoming a point of focus in the law enforcement community. I recognize that some agencies have been preaching this concept for longer than others, so my observation is not a judgement on the community as a whole. I do notice that the training I am receiving at my agency is significantly better in this regard than some of my academy class mates.

So my question to you is this. Who wears a basic trauma kit on duty? When I say basic, I mean gunshot wound, or extremity hemorrhaging. In essence a tourniquet, occlusive dressing (HALO seal) and some sort of hemostatic agent like combat gauze or celox.

While i recognize that some will avoid carrying anything extra on duty, let me say that I am pretty much set on carrying these three basic items physically on my person anytime I am working. That being said, how do those of you that carry these basic items do so?

I have seen belt kits, but they are typically dressed down and not sufficient for a duty belt at my agency (hi-gloss). I considered using a large cellphone or PDA case but couldn't find anything in hi-gloss that is purpose built for a trauma kit.

A few officers at another agency I rode with wore the ankle rigs with these three items. Has anyone here had success with these? I have been told by some of the more experienced of my peers that I will get sick of wearing anything on my ankle after a while.

I am leaning against the ankle rig because despite my agency's embrace of trauma preparedness, there is no uniform standard here yet. Thus I would like my kit in plain view so that an officer isn't looking for it under pant-legs, in my vest etc.

Thanks for your time and insight.

Unregistered
    The trauma plate pocket on your vest is a great place for clotting gauze and seal. Tourniquet in your back pocket. Always there with you that way.

Unregistered
    Just an update...

Ive worn the ankle rig with a tourniquet, seal, and gauze for a month and a half and swear by it. I don't even feel it (that started day one) due to to the weight, and its not even visible on my ankle.

On the same topic...does anyone's agency have a policy or general order pertaining to the wearing, or marking of trauma stuff? I.E. left side, right side, vest, etc?

I know some units I worked with overseas had an SOP so that when rendering aid you would know immediately where the wounded Marine's IFAK was.

just thinking.