Hiring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring

Hiring

I have applied for reserve deputy with PBSO, I have passed everything, medical, pych, polygraph, background, and I was placed on an "eligibility list" a few days ago. I want to ask if anyone knows how long I will remain on this list. How often do they have new hire training classes?

Thanks

Re: Hiring

October 27th is the next 5week high liability course that I know of. But their May be one before that but just email your recruiter and they can tell you.

ok, thank you.

I have recently started my FTO as a full time deputy with P.B.S.O. The way S.O. Works is they hire quarterly. Just because you are eligible does not mean you will be put into the next hire group as well as that you won't. To play it safe from time of eligibility I would say within 2 new hire classes you should be in.

Ok thank you, do you know how many people they want to hire?

If you are joining PBSO as a Reserve Deputy to just live your dream of being a cop and do all the fun things we used to be able to do, I highly recommend you reconsider.

Ask anyone who has been here for longer than 10 years how PBSO used to be. The fact of the matter is that we are now an overly litigious, cowardly, self-harming agency. Our philosophy has gone from...chase, catch, and arrest the bad guys to...let's file for a warrant on the bad guys.

If you want to do real police work, in an agency of like minded people, I suggest you look elsewhere.

If you want to join PBSO as a Reserve to get some "experience" and move along to another agency as a full time deputy, you should be fine here. The way they will train you, however, is laughable. Most FTO's did most of their time in Boca, Delray, Wellington, or Royal Palm. They eventually got forced into the "busier" districts, but still maintain the slow, extra-careful, lazy, useless attitude. If you decide to jump ship and go to a more traditional department, such as Riveria Beach, West Palm Beach, Martin County SO, Broward SO, Ft Lauderdale PD, Miami Metro, etc., you will be re-learning a lot of things.

Good luck!

Well that's not good news...

Unregistered

Smile

You can get assigned directly to detective bureau. One deputy fresh out of field training got assigned directly to violent crimes division. Experience is no necessary and his wife works there with him. collective bargaining doesn't apply to some. Another detective got a cold case position because he does under the table contractor work for the higher ups. If you're looking to get on, politics and who you know can get you there quick. These two examples are proof.

Unregistered
    The above post is utter nonsense. Recently, a relatively "new hire" deputy was temporarily assigned to a task force to combat drive-by shootings and homicides occurring in Riviera Beach, West Palm Beach and adjacent un-incorporated areas. The deputy worked for one of the municipalities and has volumes of information on the gangs responsible for the shootings. When the task force is finished, the deputy will be re-assigned to patrol as required by the contract.

The other allegation is nonsense. Working in VCD, I know of no "higher-ups" that are having construction done. I don't know who you are, making these absurd allegations, but interviews are conducted for all open positions as required by the contract..

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The above post is utter nonsense. Recently, a relatively "new hire" deputy was temporarily assigned to a task force to combat drive-by shootings and homicides occurring in Riviera Beach, West Palm Beach and adjacent un-incorporated areas. The deputy worked for one of the municipalities and has volumes of information on the gangs responsible for the shootings. When the task force is finished, the deputy will be re-assigned to patrol as required by the contract.

The other allegation is nonsense. Working in VCD, I know of no "higher-ups" that are having construction done. I don't know who you are, making these absurd allegations, but interviews are conducted for all open positions as required by the contract..
    L O L - Interviews are conducted for open postions which have already been filled by hand picked golden boys and girls, some without a single functioning brain cell, while those who are better suited for the job pass the interview only to be placed on a list which expires within a year. This unfair process promotes those who have kissed enough ass to move up, while leaving the better suited candidates to wither on the road and become disgruntled, wasted talents. But then again, if you "work in VCD", then you already know this to be the truth.

I like Bradshaw - he is a good Sheriff, but it's a true shame that there are talented candidates wasting away on the road while others are selected for detective positions prior to the list even being made, without consideration for the "unknown" talent on the lists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast