Detention Deputy then going to patrol?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Detention Deputy then going to patrol?

I am prior military. I have already taken the PERT college placement test and I'll be taking the corrections CJBAT soon. I wouldn't mind starting my Law Enforcement career in the jail. Pay doesn't seem too shabby for a single guy $18.85 hr. that's over double what I'm making now. It says on the website all you have to do is complete probation before you can transfer. Is this true? So I only have to do a year in the jail then the Sheriff's Office will pay for a cross over academy so I can go to patrol? How long would it really take for me to switch over to patrol? How much overtime is currently available at the jail because I love money and wouldn't mind an extra shift or two a week if possible.

Re: Detention Deputy then going to patrol?

There's plenty of overtime available at the jail if you want it.

Why go work at the jail in the hopes that they will grant a transfer for you to go to patrol in a year. With the recent track record I wouldn't count on it.

Just apply for sponsorship at the academy; you'll get paid while there. Going to work at the jail prior to patrol isn't going to make you a better patrol deputy.

Going to work at the jail prior to patrol isn't going to make you a better patrol deputy.
    Actually working at the jail for a couple of years will make you a better patrol deputy because you will learn valuable interpersonal skills which you can used once you are on the road. Two years at the jail should be mandatory for anyone before they get sent to patrol. Many agencies do this so that their patrol recruits can gain some experience around the public and the criminals they will face.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Going to work at the jail prior to patrol isn't going to make you a better patrol deputy.
    Actually working at the jail for a couple of years will make you a better patrol deputy because you will learn valuable interpersonal skills which you can used once you are on the road. Two years at the jail should be mandatory for anyone before they get sent to patrol. Many agencies do this so that their patrol recruits can gain some experience around the public and the criminals they will face.
    Actually if you want to be a corrections officer go work in the jail. If you want to be a cop go to the road. Why waste your time doing a different job? I am not so sure that ?many agencies" make recruits work the jail first, name one please. No police department in Florida does this, I could only see a Sheriff's Office doing this, but can't think of one that does. The mentality of the above poster is ignorant. In his line of thinking then a Detention Deputy Recruit should work the road before working in the jail. That's stupid, they are different jobs with different tasks. The jail is all about process, procedure, tasks and routine. At the deputy level it does not involve much decision making at all. The road involves nothing but decision making and this is why so many jail guards flounder when they come to the road. Now this will surely piss off the guards and they will start the whole "Why do you have to make it us vs. the road" bit as usual. But that is reality. If you want to be a detention deputy then go work in the jail. If you want to be a road deputy go work the road. I've just never seen a single jail employee stay truly happy while working in the jail. Maybe for the first few years they are happy, but eventually they all become miserable. I would be, that environment has got to get old.

No police department in Florida does this, I could only see a Sheriff's Office doing this, but can't think of one that does.
    Collier County Sheriff down in Naples does it:
    https://www.colliersheriff.org/Index.aspx?page=2053

I have already applied to HCC Police Academy in Tampa and I have to do a fitness test and the FBAT sometime in September. I don't know if a lot of people actually apply but they only run 2 academies a year and there is only 30 seats per academy and the 30 top FBAT scores get those seats. My GI Bill will pay for the tuition only thing I pay for is the testing and the uniforms. I'll even get a decent salary paid by Uncle Sam while I'm in the academy. I told the lady in charge of admissions I want to test for the January academy.

I have worked both corrections and the road and yes they are both different. One is not better then the other just different. Working at the jail first certainly can be a benefit to you when ou go to the road. In the jail you learn to deal with a number of incidents without using all the equipment on our belts. You will be able to access situations and people far faster then those who have never worked in a jail setting. I say go the direction you feel most comfortable and good luck.

Look into EOT (Equivalency Of Training), depending on your MOS you can take the two week class, take the state test, and be "hirable" anywhere in FL. Call the St Pete College (All State Center) and ask about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Look into EOT (Equivalency Of Training), depending on your MOS you can take the two week class, take the state test, and be "hirable" anywhere in FL. Call the St Pete College (All State Center) and ask about it.
    Have to have a year of law enforcement experience for that, so I don't qualify for EOT I already checked into it a long time ago.

Apply for the road and see if you can get sponsored for the academy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast