More to come
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More to come

More to come

By Paula McMahon, Sun Sentinel
    12:34 p.m. EDT, June 27, 2014

Ponzi schemer Scott Rothstein's former law partner Russell Adler was sentenced Friday to 2 1/2 years in federal prison for illegally funneling campaign donations to Republican presidential and senate campaigns.

Adler began visibly shaking in court as U.S. District Judge James Cohn announced that he deserved a punishment on the high end of the sentencing guidelines, which recommended incarceration for two to 2 1/2 years.

Adler, 52, of Delray Beach and Fort Lauderdale, put his fingers to his eyes and sighed deeply.

Apologizing for his criminal actions, Adler said he regretted that he insisted on having his name added to the law firm's name, making it Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler, or RRA.

"Being the A in RRA turned into an ironic curse that has ruined my name and haunts and humiliates me to this day," he told the judge.

READ PRIOR IN-DEPTH STORY: Russell Adler's friends try to keep him out of prison

Supporters, including Senior Broward Circuit Judge Richard Eade, spoke on Adler's behalf and praised his professionalism, ethics and personal generosity. But Judge Cohn said Adler's crimes were serious and warranted punishment.

When the law firm was "awash with cash" in 2008 and 2009, the judge wondered aloud what Adler – an experienced attorney and name partner – thought was happening.

"Mr. Adler was at the epicenter, he was at ground zero. Was he blind and deaf as to what was going on?" the judge asked.

The judge asked prosecutors if he should consider the Ponzi scheme activities at the law firm in sentencing Adler.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Lawrence LaVecchio said that Adler could not "legally be held responsible for the activities of the Ponzi" but pointed out that Adler was involved in other misconduct.

Cohn listened intently as supporters gave emotional testimony. One former client Mary Haig told the judge that Adler charged no fee when he won a $1.8 million settlement for her daughter, who suffered

The judge also expressed concern that Adler has been earning significant sums of money in recent years but hasn't made much of a dent in federal tax debts he owes.

"The public needs to see that there is a price to pay for conduct such as this," Cohn said.

"I leave my profession in shame and disgrace ... But my wounds are self-inflicted."

"I feel terrible about what I did," he said. "I'm deeply sorry."

He apologized for his crimes and said he was devastated that his 27-year career as a lawyer is over.

"I loved helping people," he said.

pmcmahon@tribune.com, 954-356-4533 or Twitter @SentinelPaula

Copyright © 2014, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Re: More to come

Cant wait toe see the questions for SI. :evil:

After the jump, the questions Adler aims to ask Lamberti, who is fighting the deposition.

Questions Adler wants to ask Lamberti in court (from federal court documents):

a. Please provide your name and professional address for the record.

b. Isn't it true that you knew Scott Rothstein for many years?

c. Isn't it true you consider yourself a friend of Scott Rothstein?

d. Isn't it true Scott Rothstein was a member of the Broward Sheriff Advisory Counsel?

e. Isn't it true that membership on the Advisory Counsel is by invitation only?

f. Isn't it true that all members of the Advisory Council must go through a background check before a potential member is approved to join the Council?

g. Isn't it true that during your campaign to become Sheriff, Scott Rothstein was
    instrumental in arranging a fundraiser for your campaign at Ross Peiko's house?

h. Isn't it true that Mr. Rothstein, both through personal friends of his and lawyers employed by RRA, contributed to your campaign?

i. How much did Mr. Rothstein raise for your election campaign?

j. Isn't it true that you have been to Mr. Rothstein's house on Las Olas Isles?

k. Isn't it true you have been to Mr. Rothstein's house in Harbor Beach?

l. Isn't it true that you were aware of Mr. Rothstein's expensive lifestyle, which includes various homes, jewelry and traveling on private jets?

m. Isn't it true that you were a guest of Mr. Rothstein in the skybox at Dolphin Stadium on more than one occasion?

n. How many times did you attend Dolphin games as a guest of Mr. Rothstein?

o. Isn't it true that you sent a letter to Scott Rothstein congratulating him for the award received from the Anti-defamation League in 2008?

p. Isn't it true that your letter to Mr. Rothstein thanked him for his friendship during
    the year prior?

q. Isn't it true that in your letter you offered to professionally and personally assist Scott Rothstein should he call upon you to do so?

r. Isn't it true that Tom Wheeler, employed by the Broward County Sheriff Office, was a close personal friend to Mr. Rothstein?

s. Isn't it true that Mr. Rothstein was a close personal friend of David Benjamin, a lieutenant with the Broward County Sheriff's Office?

t. Isn't it true that you never suspected that Mr. Rothstein was involved in any criminal activity, including the Ponzi scheme for which he was convicted?

u. Were you ever suspicious of Mr. Rothstein's activities?

v. Isn't it true that Mr. Rothstein was never investigated by the Broward County Sheriff's Office?

w. Isn't it true that you were never advised from anyone employed by the Broward County Sheriff's Office or anyone else in law enforcement, prior to the end of October 2009 that Mr. Rothstein was involved in criminal activity?

x. Isn't it true that you never received any information from citizens prior to the end of October 2009, whether they be friends or associates of Mr. Rothstein or investors or otherwise, that Mr. Rothstein was involved in criminal activity?

y. If you did learn of such purported criminal activity, isn't it true you would have caused Mr. Rothstein to be investigated?

z. Isn't it true that if you received information regarding Mr. Rothstein's purported criminal activity you would have ceased associating with Mr. Rothstein?

aa. Isn't it true that if you received information regarding Mr. Rothstein's purported criminal activity you would have instructed employees of the Broward County Sheriff Office, including Messrs. Wheeler and Benjamin to cease associating with Mr. Rothstein?

bb. Isn't it true that you never received any information from any source whatsoever that Russell Adler or Katie Adler had any actual knowledge or involvement in Mr. Rothstein's criminal activity?

cc. Isn't it true that Mr. Rothstein never gave you any indication that he was involved in criminal activity?

Benji was working for Lamberti when all of this happened but, somehow it's Israel and not Lamberti that should be worried. Your logic is flawed. You're letting your hatred for Israel cloud your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by James T Lamberti
    Benji was working for Lamberti when all of this happened but, somehow it's Israel and not Lamberti that should be worried. Your logic is flawed. You're letting your hatred for Israel cloud your logic.

Tubbo, you really are stupid. 'Nuff said.

Unless you have something of actual intelligence and relevance to add right now James the III, the old 'blame-game' theory is not going to save either of your fearless leaders. You have managed, in one post, to throw them both under the bus. Dip-stick.

When is Tubby due back? :?: You bore me little man------snore---ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-
    "HOLY-SHRED*A*THON!"
    "Ricardo, James T, Sonny...to the BAT CAVE!!"

[youtube:1wij0zfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUlLle6N9Ko[/youtube:1wij0zfo]

The shred a thon occurred in December of 2012. How soon we forget. Along with the computer bash a thon. Mr Lamberti cornered the market on those terms sorry. Dumb azz

The shred a thon occurred in December of 2012. How soon we forget. Along with the computer bash a thon. Mr Lamberti cornered the market on those terms sorry. Dumb azz
    James-those are our code words! What are you doing letting our secret out? We have to get up to the 5th floor ASAP and have our own SHRED*A*THON wink-wink :wink:
    (I'll cover for you!)
    vvvvv
    Now when we go to the Official BSO Shred A Thon in July (I think we've had at least 6 or 7 in 2014 and a bunch in 2013) you need to skip the Operation Medicine Cabinet part & keep your meds-more importantly KEEP TAKING YOUR MEDS AS PRESCRIBED. It's going to be ok-I'll hold you. - (Where in the hell is Tubbs?)

Broward Sheriff's Office (Official) Weston June 14, 2014
    "The weather is perfect for the Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet. Stop by the Weston district office, we will be here until 1!"

Thats one way to keep from answering my questions. And by the way dumb azz. I am Ricardo Tubbs. Not Elgin and I'm still a deputy. Dumb azz. Hahahaha. I post because it bothers the less intelligent. They can't handle it and will do whatever it takes in an attempt to silence my voice. Sorry won't work

Thats one way to keep from answering my questions. And by the way dumb azz. I am Ricardo Tubbs. Not Elgin and I'm still a deputy. Dumb azz. Hahahaha. I post because it bothers the less intelligent. They can't handle it and will do whatever it takes in an attempt to silence my voice. Sorry won't work
    Tubbo. I think you are skitzo and a full out 20. Go FY. :cop:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast