FTO Pay

Thread: FTO Pay

FTO Pay

What is the rate of pay for FTOs with HCSO? Are they paid only when training a PO?

Re: FTO Pay

It is a monthly stipend and I forget the exact amount, but it isn't much.

$175 a month per FTO paid regardless if you are training a recruit or not

175.00 a month isn't much ???? Wow talk about greedy

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    $175 a month per FTO paid regardless if you are training a recruit or not

It is $2,100 a year more than you are making now.

Regarding your post, "$175.00 a month isn't much ???? Wow talk about greedy"'

Are you an FTO?
    Have you ever been one?
    Do you know that sacrifices an FTO makes to do the job?
    Do you know the responsibilities an FTO has and the vicarious liability he retains after training a recruit?
    Before we discuss greedy, answer the above inquiries......

Regarding you post, "It is $2,100 a year more than you are making now."

So true, if you are are not an FTO.
    But, that simple math calculation was easy enough for any of us to have done Average Joe.
    What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Regarding your post, "$175.00 a month isn't much ???? Wow talk about greedy"'

Are you an FTO?
    Have you ever been one?
    Do you know that sacrifices an FTO makes to do the job?
    Do you know the responsibilities an FTO has and the vicarious liability he retains after training a recruit?
    Before we discuss greedy, answer the above inquiries......

Regarding you post, "It is $2,100 a year more than you are making now."

So true, if you are are not an FTO.
    But, that simple math calculation was easy enough for any of us to have done Average Joe.
    What is your point?
    Well since you do not like the $175 a month or the $2,100 a year what do you think is fair compensation?

Let's put it this way... patrol with HCSO right now sucks. The manpower is beyond dangerously low, the call volumes are high, the zones are huge, and patrol deputies are slammed every day/night. Then on top of that, add on FTO duties and countless hours of additional work involved with DORs.

It isn't just about the pay, but let's look at it on the flip side. There are a lot of FTO's resigning from the position because the $175/month doesn't justify the workload. HCSO has tried to boost the perks of being an FTO to attract qualified individuals. One of the "promised" perks of being an FTO was getting a new car before other deputies, among other things. Those additional perks never actually happened. It is just another shot in the foot of hard-working deputies at HCSO. So you can ask any FTO around... besides gaining the FTO title to boost your chances of promotion, does the $175/month justify the added headache? Most will say no.

Now look at who the FTO's are now days... many of them are terrible trainers and it reflects on the new recruits they are cutting loose. HCSO has scraped the bottom of the barrel for FTO's in the past couple years, because nobody else wants to do it. In my district, FTO's are burned out patrol deputies that are teaching new deputies to be lazy slimers, but then again, that's how HCSO operates now days since everyone has to look out for themselves when nobody else will. It's sad, but very true.

To the poster asking about being an FTO

Not now

Yes I was

Yes I understand the sacrifices

Yes I understand the liabilities

Now answer the question, if it's too much for you turn in your pin oh yea and your monthly stipend.

I am an FTO because I want well trained deputies working along side me when they get cut loose. I don't even want the FTO pay, they make me take it, so I donate all of it. I just want to see the smiles on the faces of all the recruits as they come to work each day. The best part is, you think I am being a smart ass.