What's it like working here?

What's it like working here?

Hello, I was looking at some of the posts and was wondering, what its like to work here? It looks like a great opportunity and a great experience.

Re: What's it like working here?

I do not work here but i'm actually in the process with this agency. I have asked around and actually got answers from my questions and from what I got, this place can be "that" agency you can see yourself retiring from. Of course each department has its gripes and complains but at the end of the day, its the effort you put in. The scheduling is good, every other weekend off(12hr shifts), take home, vast equipment, county wide jurisdiction and a lot of specialty units to transfer too.

Again, each department always has its pros and cons but from what I got, OCSO is a great place to work and a lot of people don't regret working here. Since OCSO is county wide, you can be very busy at times but hey, welcome to police work. Again, I do not work here but its my own 2 cents from what I gathered from deputies who do work there.

Re: What's it like working here?

Don't do it...jk..it is what you make it man.

Unregistered
    If you ignore the sucky pay then OCSO is one of the best if not the best agency in FL.. But it's hard to ignore the pay. Go work for OPD

Unregistered
    Is it easy for a new hire to work extra detail or is it chosen by seniority (ex. Over time, off duty, ect....)? Looking on applying to this dept but concerned about finances.

Unregistered
    You should not live off of overtime or off duty. Find a different job if you need more money, or go with OPD. Off duty is mostly first come first serve and you can find one every day if you wanted it.

Unregistered
    I appreciate the response and you are right. I don't live off off duties but it's nice to have for extra play money. Can you provide any info on a pay scale? What is your step plan like?