Time for change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for change

Time for change

I am over it. I believe it is time for a new Chief. Yes, this one is a good guy. However, he simply has never been a policeman. He has never answered a radio. He has never gone to a domestic dispute. He has never done a DUI investigation. He has NEVER worked a night shift. He has never directed traffic. He worked for a "pretend" law enforcement agency (yes I call FDLE pretend policemen).

I would like to see a local guy with experience become the Chief. This guy preferably would have "ridden a zone" and "taken a call." Most important he MUST have the courage to address the issues at hand in our department. He MUST hire and promote based on capabilities of leadership and management and NOT race or gender. He must be willing if necessary to ride a zone once and a while. More important, he should at least know our signals and codes!

Your thoughts?

Re: Time for change

First of all,
    Velboom has done all of the above that you say he has not. While acting as Police Chief; directing traffic, Velboom was struck by a car. While on patrol, on his day off, Velboom apprehended a suspect (******* Floyd) who fled from Officers on foot. He has called out many traffic stops responded to many calls for assistance.

Velboom may have his problems; however, he is a human being. We all have our problems......

Re: Time for change

Social justice trumps hiring/promoting the most qualfied in some peoples minds.

Unregistered
    I agree with you. It is indeed time for a change. The changed should be the disbandment of the police department all together. With such a small agency you guys really don't make that much of a difference anyways. Even though I personally think the Pasco County Sheriff's Office is a joke (Clown Nocco), it would be more cost effective for them to take over the patrol duties for the Dade City area. They even have a substation just outside of the city limits on SR 52. The citizens of Dade City could save money by not having to pay salaries, retirement, buying equipment and building a new police station. While there are some good officers that work at the department, the majority of the officers I have encountered would simply not make it with a larger agency.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree with you. It is indeed time for a change. The changed should be the disbandment of the police department all together. With such a small agency you guys really don't make that much of a difference anyways. Even though I personally think the Pasco County Sheriff's Office is a joke (Clown Nocco), it would be more cost effective for them to take over the patrol duties for the Dade City area. They even have a substation just outside of the city limits on SR 52. The citizens of Dade City could save money by not having to pay salaries, retirement, buying equipment and building a new police station. While there are some good officers that work at the department, the majority of the officers I have encountered would simply not make it with a larger agency.
    VERY foolish idea. The SO only cares about the west side of the county. They would only put one deputy in the city. We (citizens of Dade City) would have NO, zip, zero, ziltch ability to control any directed enforcement. Ask any small city that has done this and you will see they ALL regreted it.

What is needed is a good leader, with the ability to think differently and be a catalyst for change here. An FDLE agent who has never answered a call or conducted a DUI investigation is NOT the guy to lead those who do. Nice guy but not what WE need here.

Unregistered
    Dade City had the opportunity to select someone with 25 plus years experience in a major agency, someone who worked the streets, midnights, detective bureau, homicide unit, and crisis negotiation unit among many others. Someone who never cared about politics and always did the right thing for his troops..and the city at large.. as long as you worked and didn't hide under a tree.. That person was in the top 3 candidates.. and that person was told clearly from someone on the panel... that "if Dade City wanted to change they would go with that south Florida selection.. but if they wanted a local good old boy".. well you all know that answer..

Not only did the south candidate come with a plan for the future.. he gave the people on the panel his plan for the future.. once again.. I guess the local goods old boy won out !

This is a fact and not just a made up story.. and the one who knows was the person on the panel from the West Coast City ...

Unregistered

overawa

Very quiet on the DCPD board......everything is good? Heard another one left for a bigger agency? I$ that correct....again?

Unregistered
    You got to be joking. I am a retired LEO living in the Dade City area and from what I have seen, the department in a joke. One of my neighbors got into an accident and the officer put people on the form that were not even in the accident. Except for standing on a parade route telling little kids to get back or working at a school as a resource officer, the department is a joke. Disband it and patroll the little city with two deputies and save alot of money just like they have in Pinellas County. How does that fat officer working the high school pass a physical abilities test?

Unregistered
    You got to be joking. I am a retired LEO living in the Dade City area and from what I have seen, the department in a joke. One of my neighbors got into an accident and the officer put people on the form that were not even in the accident. Except for standing on a parade route telling little kids to get back or working at a school as a resource officer, the department is a joke. Disband it and patroll the little city with two deputies and save alot of money just like they have in Pinellas County. How does that fat officer working the high school pass a physical abilities test?
    Hmm sounds like a case of Insurance Fraud to me... maybe LEO is getting a cut sort of like a BSO "Barber" Deputy making false accident reports I would report this to DIV of Insurance Fraud and have him make an official IA case at Dade City.

Unregistered
    Dade City had the opportunity to select someone with 25 plus years experience in a major agency, someone who worked the streets, midnights, detective bureau, homicide unit, and crisis negotiation unit among many others. Someone who never cared about politics and always did the right thing for his troops..and the city at large.. as long as you worked and didn't hide under a tree.. That person was in the top 3 candidates.. and that person was told clearly from someone on the panel... that "if Dade City wanted to change they would go with that south Florida selection.. but if they wanted a local good old boy".. well you all know that answer..

Not only did the south candidate come with a plan for the future.. he gave the people on the panel his plan for the future.. once again.. I guess the local goods old boy won out !

This is a fact and not just a made up story.. and the one who knows was the person on the panel from the West Coast City ...
    By the way... they had the chance to change with a guy who was really dedicated and had no problems making changes for all and would not play politics.... but as he was told by one of the panel members personally ... they went with the local good old boy from FDLE who had no real LEO experience except at FDLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast