Masters degree???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Masters degree????

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    When they are down 300+ positions do you really think that they would up the requirements to include a Master Degree?
    You don't lower standards to hire more people. If you act in a desperate manner, you hire a bunch of crap. Maybe I need to educate you about what happened with the big hiring push Miami did back in the 80's.
    I bet we don't even have 50 applicants with a masters degree

I hate to break the news to you all, but the down 300 deputies tally has gone well beyond that number. Speaking with several personnel section employees earlier in the week, I was advised that the realistic number at the end of April will be at least 400 to 425 deputies down. Something has to give and Gee needs his frickin head examined. He probably has no clue about the pending crisis, because he is not around the office enough to even know. I heard he spends hours at "Longhorn Steakhouse" for lunch, so maybe somebody can write a note on a knapkin for him, letting him know that it would be nice if he showed his face at least once a year around the office and saw first hand how pathetically inefficient Patrol and some of the other sections have become. Seriously doubt he would care though.

Do you, or anyone else, know if this figure is for law enforcement or does it also include the jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I hate to break the news to you all, but the down 300 deputies tally has gone well beyond that number. Speaking with several personnel section employees earlier in the week, I was advised that the realistic number at the end of April will be at least 400 to 425 deputies down. Something has to give and Gee needs his frickin head examined. He probably has no clue about the pending crisis, because he is not around the office enough to even know. I heard he spends hours at "Longhorn Steakhouse" for lunch, so maybe somebody can write a note on a knapkin for him, letting him know that it would be nice if he showed his face at least once a year around the office and saw first hand how pathetically inefficient Patrol and some of the other sections have become. Seriously doubt he would care though.

Do you, or anyone else, know if this figure is for law enforcement or does it also include the jail?
    I'm not the original poster above, but back when they went public with the "300" open positions that included the entire office. I was told approximately 150-175 were for the road. I would guess that if we are down 400-425, at least 200-250 are for the road. All griping aside, we truly are dangerously thin on the street and I just hope we continue to work safe and avoid tragedy. Regardless of how things used to work in the past, we are an incredibly busy agency working some very dangerous areas. We could improve morale and serve the citizens more efficiently with increased manpower. At some point they are going to have to hire pre-certs. We don't need to lower our hiring standards, we just need to bring more qualified and experienced cops through the door. Let the hiring process, module, and FTO weed out the bad apples. Why require the basic academy for six months... experience beats book knowledge any day of the week.

You all know that the original poster was just trolling for the predictable apoplectic reaction, right?

You all know that the original poster was just trolling for the predictable apoplectic reaction, right?
    I would agree with you on that. But beyond that most likely BS, the :lol: remaining trend of the posts are unfortunately more then accurate. What I believe has created the most discontent beyond the obvious safety issues when operating so shorthanded, is the pure insanity of adding more & more tasks of the "make work" variety. Meaning that many of the newly created daily tasks, mostly ILP related, are not in any way a priority, yet they have made them that way at a time when it is difficult enough for those working the street to simply keep up with the non-stop calls for service. They should be lightening the load of non-essential tasks at a time like this, not creating more and then asking the street supervisors to discipline those that don't achieve their monthly goals, like a required number of ILP reports, along with daily adult & juvenile probation checks. Thats all Docobo cares about, his damn ILP crap. This pressure for ILP activity of course rolls right down hill to the district Majors and from there to the street supervisors. On top of this, ILP is only just one example of many newly added tasks that have been steadily increasing and being rammed down patrols throat. I would just love for both Gee & Docobo to work a busy zone for a month in one of the busier districts, like d2 and see what it's like for themselves. May I suggest Echo-2 zone by themselves for the month. I guarantee you that it would open their eyes to what the real world of patrol in Hillsborough County has become over the past 5 to 10 years. It's easy to bark out orders from behind a desk is surrounded by concrete walls. Then again, make that blast proof walls and more barriers then a combat outpost in Afghanistan now at the SOC.

Really, they expect you to work an entire shift? FYI, the number if calls for service per deputy is down from tens years ago. The number of case being followed up on by detectives is way down from 10 years ago. The number of arrests, traffic stops, and citations are also down. Maybe this is why it is also OK to work with positions down. But you probably were not here more than 10 years ago, so you have no frame of reference. Your complaint is what happens when we hire kids out of college just looking for a job in a bad economy.

[quote=Average Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":3o34t2m8
    When they are down 300+ positions do you really think that they would up the requirements to include a Master Degree?
    You don't lower standards to hire more people. If you act in a desperate manner, you hire a bunch of crap. Maybe I need to educate you about what happened with the big hiring push Miami did back in the 80's.
    I bet we don't even have 50 applicants with a masters degree[/quote:3o34t2m8]

AJ, you might be lucky to find 50 in all the HCSO right now that are working.

If they filled all those positions, there would be more time to park under a tree and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by too busy?
    Really, they expect you to work an entire shift? FYI, the number if calls for service per deputy is down from tens years ago. The number of case being followed up on by detectives is way down from 10 years ago. The number of arrests, traffic stops, and citations are also down. Maybe this is why it is also OK to work with positions down. But you probably were not here more than 10 years ago, so you have no frame of reference. Your complaint is what happens when we hire kids out of college just looking for a job in a bad economy.
    It's what happens when an agency runs off all of it's old school minded deputies and detectives because they got treated like
    sh!t. It's what happens when a supposedly people oriented sheriff stops caring enough to even take the time to stop by and visit with his own troops for years now! And it's definately what happens when he leaves a complete power hungry jackass with the last name of Docobo as the offices chief deputy during his entire term as sheriff. Of course, you can't ignore the fact that Gee himself has turned into one terrible power hungry politician himself. I guess thats what happens when you grow up short and child like in stature through your adult life. Apparently he needed the title of sheriff to make up for his incredible amount of SHORTcomings. Him and Docobo make the perfect pair.......if they were part of Hitlers staff!

Wow, you are a winner. You read right through the post. Actually no, I had a genuine question and wanted some insight on the subject from people at HCSO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast