LEOs and the mentally ill - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Re: LEOs and the mentally ill

Interesting article on Stressors for our Officers and How PD Administration's might consider alleviating such...

“Second, chronic stress numbs people's sensitivity. They can't stand to continually see human misery. They must stop feeling or they won't survive. The mind has this defense mechanism so people can continue working in horrible situations. If they kept their normal sensitivity, they would fall apart. As they become insensitive to their own suffering, they become insensitive to the suffering of others. When treated with indignity they lose not only a sense of their own dignity but also the dignity of others. The pain of others stops bothering them, and they are no longer bothered when they hurt others.”

“If chronic stressors are identified, then police officials can take proactive steps. They can do something before an officer becomes another suicide statistic. Departments should stop making artificial distinctions between job-related and personal problems. The two are interwoven and contribute to each other. The end result is a group of people under the greatest stress in any job in America.”

“Officials can't stop stress in police work, but they can recognize it and help officers in three areas. First, they can provide help to individual officers. Second, family life can be helped. Third, the stress caused by the police organization itself can be reduced.

“Direct help for individual officers can come in many forms. Every large department should have a psychologist and a chaplain for the officers and ensure that insurance plans have good provisions for outpatient counseling with outside psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists. Doubly important is confidentiality; the department should not know when an officer uses a department counselor or insurance for counseling.”

“Programs for individuals often help reduce organizational stress. When a department provides a psychologist and a chaplain, the officers see that someone at the top does understand their problems and is trying to help. This perception is much better than the attitude of many officers that no one at the top cares. Even worse officers often believe that administration is out to get them. Departments need to have policies for transferring people temporarily for family problems. The inconveniences of helping an officer for a short time far outweigh the problems of handling a police suicide or a lawsuit because an officer exploded during a critical call.’

http://www.realpolice.net/articles/poli ... tress.html

Here you are Stephanie Gibson! Please tell me what these officers did wrong in handling this?
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1397696222

Quote Originally Posted by TheREALworld
    Here you are Stephanie Gibson! Please tell me what these officers did wrong in handling this?
    I will tell you what they did wrong, when that subject violently attacked the officer with a handcuff around his wrist he was not shot. Oh yeah the mentally ill are not dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheREALworld
    I am not a law officer but you know that. I cannot tell you what was right or wrong in that video. I do know Officers should always protect themselves when in harm's way. I also know a man who is pinned chest down on a concrete floor should not suffer the brutal force that was delivered in my house on Dec 15th. If you are one of the officers who lost it in my house, you know damn well, that is true.

I have never said that the mentally ill cannot be violent. What I said is, not ALL mentally ill individuals are violent. nor are ALL Black men violent, nor are ALL young Muslim men terrorists.. ALL men can be violent..!

I reached out to this board for a conversation about a really tough issue in this country. To start a meaningful discussion to help me understand why this happened and what we can do to find a better way.

Any suggestions?

How often are NPPD officers called out for an involuntary Baker Act? Maybe that should be broader.. On average, how often do LEOs find themselves in situations with mentally ill individuals whether by a call or for an involuntary Baker Act intake? How often do one or both parties get hurt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson
    How often are NPPD officers called out for an involuntary Baker Act? Maybe that should be broader.. On average, how often do LEOs find themselves in situations with mentally ill individuals whether by a call or for an involuntary Baker Act intake? How often do one or both parties get hurt?

Thanks
    For some reason there is an high volume of Baker Act calls/mentally ill person calls in this city. It is actually out of control. How many times does someone get hurt injured or have force used against them, occasionally. You need to understand that an officer acts so he does not get hurt. you cannot judge by how many times officers are injured, you are losing the focus here and that still remain that the mentally ill are dangerous and unpredictable and prone to violent break outs. We can go back and forth on this all day until the end of time, but until you have to deal with the stranger that is mentally ill, acting irrational, violent, etc you cannot judge. your situation was so bad that you needed the intervention of Law Enforcement, officers came, they responded (not how you would like) but that is what happens at times. For the guy who dealt with about 100 mentally ill people and has not used force was lucky but also not very experienced. I am sorry just because you did 20 years when NP was a tiny town does not give you a wealth of knowledge or experience. You will find documentation on both sides of this issue. If you want more training fine, tell your city commissioners to raise taxes and fund the police department better. We are driving around in cars that the wheels are ready to fall off of. You have no idea what this profession is about, needs, or is responsible for. You only believe what you conjure up in your mind. If you think that the one encounter with that deputy speaks for every other encounter your son is going to have with the law you are mistaken. Judging from his irrational behavior as you described it will get worse, he will encounter other police/deputies and I assure you his behavior will be addressed as it is presented. I hope that does not happen but it is a fact of life for the mentally ill, the come off meds or the meds do not work properly and the mind goes pop. It is sad that it happens but again, it is not an officers job to get injured, killed, or disabled because someone does not want force to be used.

Oh yes, let me add I do not think that criminal charges should have been filed and I would hope that a good supervisor would catch something like that however, it is not improper, just an opinion. The circumstances surrounding the mentally ill is usually that they do not know what they are doing and do not remember what happened, if they do remember, I would seriously consider that charges be filed since they were cognizant of their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by guest4556
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson

Thanks
    For some reason there is an high volume of Baker Act calls/mentally ill person calls in this city. It is actually out of control. How many times does someone get hurt injured or have force used against them, occasionally. You need to understand that an officer acts so he does not get hurt. you cannot judge by how many times officers are injured, you are losing the focus here and that still remain that the mentally ill are dangerous and unpredictable and prone to violent break outs. We can go back and forth on this all day until the end of time, but until you have to deal with the stranger that is mentally ill, acting irrational, violent, etc you cannot judge. your situation was so bad that you needed the intervention of Law Enforcement, officers came, they responded (not how you would like) but that is what happens at times. For the guy who dealt with about 100 mentally ill people and has not used force was lucky but also not very experienced. I am sorry just because you did 20 years when NP was a tiny town does not give you a wealth of knowledge or experience. You will find documentation on both sides of this issue. If you want more training fine, tell your city commissioners to raise taxes and fund the police department better. We are driving around in cars that the wheels are ready to fall off of. You have no idea what this profession is about, needs, or is responsible for. You only believe what you conjure up in your mind. If you think that the one encounter with that deputy speaks for every other encounter your son is going to have with the law you are mistaken. Judging from his irrational behavior as you described it will get worse, he will encounter other police/deputies and I assure you his behavior will be addressed as it is presented. I hope that does not happen but it is a fact of life for the mentally ill, the come off meds or the meds do not work properly and the mind goes pop. It is sad that it happens but again, it is not an officers job to get injured, killed, or disabled because someone does not want force to be used.
    North Port has always had a higher than average Baker Act ratio. It is a rarity for either an officer or the subject in question to be injured. What is written above Ms. Gibson by Guest 4556 is spot on for the truth of this matter. There is always going to be a bias from a family member as to how a situation was handled. What you could not see or feel was the resistance of your son to these officers. Maybe instead of coming on this forum and making it sound like kid gloves should be used by officers, you should be taking the time to help your son get or keep on his medications to avoid any future situations from reoccurring as you've stated it has.

Im not suggesting anything, I have little or no understanding of the problem. I am looking for information and solutions. I certainly didn't realize No Po was so crazy.. I thought we were a small sleepy city in the middle of paradise.

Not asking for kid gloves.. only compassion and recognition of the constitutional rights of all, even those that are mentally ill. My son is getting help but that doesn't preclude me from trying to look for better solutions.. if that means different training or techniques.. I don't know, maybe it is a cause we all have a self interest in making better. I do not understand the resistance to have an open discussion.

Some studies suggest that 50% of all Americans, have some form of undiagnosed mental illness, that means half the posters on this forum probably are suffering from such. LEOs are especially prone due to the incredible stress faced each day. I get that. It also means that at some point your mother, brother or child may fall into this situation.. may you hope and pray the Deputy Boone variety is there to help them..

"If not for the grace of God, there go I.. "

Happy Easter.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast