LEOs and the mentally ill - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    To those NPPD Admin members who have tried to convince me that the 3 drive stuns used on Joe are somehow less harmful or hurtful than the 3 taser shots themselves.. well to them i say, READ this.

I am in no way judging these deputies, only pointing out that use of the tasers can be deadly.. and should be used judiciously.

LAW ENFORCEMENT

3 deputies on leave; man dies after subdued by Taser

By Carlos R. Munoz
    carlos.munoz@heraldtribune.com

Published: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 12:58 p.m.

HERALD-TRIBUNE ARCHIVE
    “He was running around the lobby area screaming (at staff),” said sheriff's spokesman Dave Bristow. “Just described as out of control; enough that they called us.

[B] Three Manatee County deputies have been placed on routine administrative leave while the death of a man who died after being subdued with a Taser is investigated.

The deputies were dispatched to Centerstone Behavioral Hospital at 12:25 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a man causing a disturbance at the center at 2020 26th Ave. E. in Bradenton. Christopher Erdman, 39, had been dropped off at Centerstone by his girlfriend and was displaying erratic behavior when deputies arrived, according to a Sheriff's Office new release.

“He was running around the lobby area screaming (at staff),” said sheriff's spokesman Dave Bristow. “Just described as out of control; enough that they called us.

“We tried to get him to comply and secure him but it took several minutes.” Deputies who attempted to detain Erdman used a Taser in drive stun mode, meaning the stun gun was pressed against his shoulder without firing the probes to gain compliance, the press release said. He was handcuffed by deputies and being prepared for transport to the county jail when he appeared to suffer a medical episode.

Erdman became unresponsive and was taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead at 1:38 a.m. Wednesday.

“It's just a very unfortunate situation,” Bristow said. “The deputies in the initial investigation up to this point did everything they were supposed to do.
    “They (Centerstone) called and he had been there for a little while. They were trying to talk to him.”
    In drive stun mode, the device provides “pain compliance” when it is applied to a nerve group, said Taser spokesman Steve Tuttle.

“It's much like an iron,” Tuttle said. “Imagine if I was able to touch that iron to you. You would jump back instantly. It's not going to cause a burn but it's very similar in that your body will want to get away from that pain. You have to drive it in to keep that pain going.” The charge lasts for five seconds whether it is in probe or drive stun mode, Tuttle said, and depending on battery life can be fired more 100 times.

Erdman had not checked into Centerstone, which provides treatment, support and educational programs for individuals with mental health and addiction disorders and adults with developmental disabilities. It is not known if he was previously treated at the center.

The Sheriff's Office is investigating the cause of the death, Bristow said. The type of narcotic the man was using was not released.

Copyright © 2016 HeraldTribune.com — All rights reserved. Restricted use only.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...9766?p=1&tc=pg
    before the use of a taser, it was chemical spray, which we all know was ineffective, before the spray it was a coco bolo wood nightstick or similar baton. In the escalation of force scenario, before the taser came along it was either get in a knock down drag out battle or if it escalated enough deadly physical force. We do not get paid to be battered or our lives placed in immediate jeopardy. The taser has become the most effective immediate threat reducer on the market today. It is a fact that if you tase someone using PCP, steroids etc they can die, It is referred to as agitated delerium. one case in upstate NY colone NY a body builder went ape shit and threw gym equipt at responding officers, they tased him he even wrestled a taser away laughed at the officers and tased himself several times, dropped dead on the scene. You are not going to reason with some hopped up on drugs, if you think you can, leave your phone number we will call you to respond and will laugh when you get ur ass kicked. These officers were only doing there job, now they have to live with this the rest of their lives. Everything in this world in not black n white.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    Agreed. I prefaced the article that I was in no way judging the deputies, nor second guessing their need to use force. I was only pointing out that they can be deadly.. as in this case. It may very well been a drug induced state that left him more vulnerable to the effect of the taser.

It matters..

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Joe had another break this weekend that led me to call NPPD for help in executing a Baker Act. The experience was dramatically different than my first call. Neither Joe or myself choose to be where we are. It is the hand we have been dealt and we are dealing the best we can. I wish my confidence in the force had not been so shaken from that first experience but it is clear that day was the exception and not the rule.

Officer Casselli took my initial missing report. He was kind, understanding and compassionate. Thank you Sir.

Officer Fischer who came to check on Joe upon his eventual return. Thank you for taking the extra time to communicate your understanding and sharing your personal experience from having a family member with mental illness. It is easy to feel all alone and isolated in my situation. In a brief few minutes, this officer reminded me I am not alone in this. Thank you Sir

Officer Cooper who took Joe into custody and delivered him to Coastal without injury. He once again demonstrated his compassion and professionalism. Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sargent Laden and the balance of your team for rendering needed aid to my family. It is your actions that reinforce what good men and women are out there. To each of you, I say thank you.

To those who may not know the difference..

Violent

using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something: "a violent confrontation with riot police"
    Delusion

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Anonymous Coddled Son
    Thanks for making me commit treason. Me and the TV are getting along swell now. Exactly.

Unregistered
    [CopWatch poster BANNED and content DELETED - Sysop]
    Last edited by Sysop; 05-09-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Unregistered
    Last edited by Sysop; 05-09-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Unregistered
    Last edited by Sysop; 05-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.

The Badge of Life

http://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/...campaign=blog#

Police Perspective: The Man in the Mirror

By Mark DiBona | Jun. 03, 2016
    My lifelong dream was to be a cop, and I started on the job at age 21. I’ve been in law enforcement for 30 years and a supervisor for 17.
    About eight years ago, I was going through tough times at work. I wasn’t getting along with my immediate supervisor. We were both alpha males, but we had different styles of working and supervision. He was hard-headed and strict, and I tried to be approachable to my team. I felt he was disrespectful. We became argumentative, insulting each other. He told me I wasn’t aggressive enough, that I had to be harder on my team. He gave me an evaluation of “below standards.” I felt worthless, like maybe he was right, maybe this job wasn’t for me anymore. I felt like I couldn’t do anything right.
    This went on for a few months. It affected me physically. I gained 40 pounds. I refused to shave. I started coming in wrinkled uniform. I didn’t go to my wife for help. I thought, “If you aren’t a cop, you don’t understand.” The stigma is if you show a weakness, if you say something’s bothering you, they look at you like you are weak.
    With all this happening, one night I am at the fire station, when a woman pulls up in her car. She cried, “My baby isn’t breathing!” Just before she pulled up, the firefighters had gone out on a call, so I did CPR on the baby for what seemed like an hour.
    The baby died. I went to the funeral and the wake. I started to get nightmares about him, like maybe I could have done better. I can still feel that baby in my arms.
    I told my boss, and he said, “You were just doing your job,” as if it wasn’t a big deal.
    I started feeling more worthless. I had lots of nightmares, waking up in cold sweats. I started thinking about the baby that died, and all the other stuff I’ve seen came up too: horrible crashes, victims of sexual abuse, victims of robbery, bad guys, friends who died in the line of duty. I thought, “I don’t want to be a cop anymore because this line of work sucks.” One night, it hit me: This job is not for me; I’m failing really fast. I tried to fight the thoughts, but I felt like I was drowning. I attempted suicide twice that night.
    I got lucky. A car pulled up, and it was another cop. He talked me down. I went home because I couldn’t go back to work that night. I was afraid of losing my job. I thought they would take away my gun and put me in the hospital.
    I called a close friend in Boston. He wanted me to come there to get help. I went to Massachusetts and got therapy and went back to Florida a week and half later. I bounced back and forth between therapists. It wasn’t clicking because the therapist didn’t have any police background. I didn’t go to the employee assistance provider because they are countywide, not specialized to police. I just wasn’t in my comfort zone.
    It was a difficult time in my life. I saw a person in me that I’d never seen before. There’s that Michael Jackson song, “The Man in the Mirror.” When I looked in the mirror, I didn’t like the guy I saw. I didn’t like his looks; I didn’t like him. I felt weak. I knew in my heart that something was wrong, but it was hard to accept when I was diagnosed.
    I stopped going to therapy, and I started looking online. I found fascinating articles about police mental health, suicide, stigma and an organization called The Badge of Life. I never realized that support was out there. I had a friend, a fellow officer, who died by suicide, but I thought it was just a family problem.
    I started to go to a support group in central Florida, just cops talking to cops. I found a therapist who was a retired cop. During all this, I got my marriage back on track. I felt guilty about the way I had treated my wife, and I apologized. She had felt helpless. She was trying to get me help, but I wouldn’t take it.
    I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression. I’m on medication, which has helped me to focus. I was concerned about the meds—could I still be a cop? But I can; it’s not a problem. I’m still an active deputy sheriff.
    I’ve never had a suicidal thought since. I still have nightmares, but not as much as I used to. I feel a lot better. I lost the weight I gained. I don’t let it ruin my everyday life, ruin my job, ruin my marriage. On the days when I feel down, I’ve learned to control that—the anxiety, depression and PTSD.
    The biggest problem I have now is the stigma. When I’m open about it, my colleagues look at me funny. But there are others. When some people hear my story, they come to me and say, “Can I talk to you for a second?” There’s nothing better than helping another cop through the issues that I experienced.
    I really enjoy my life now, when for years I didn’t. I still love being a cop.

Mark DiBona is a deputy sheriff in central Florida and is on the board of directors of The Badge of Life, an organization dedicated to preventing police officer suicide.
    - See more at: http://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/....JjIlJmdO.dpuf

Unregistered

Bill Prummell on Police and the Mentally Ill

North Port Sun - 06/23/2016 Page : A11
    Copyright (c)2016 Sun Coast Media Group, Edition 06/23/2016
    June 23, 2016 10:14 pm (GMT +4:00) Powered by TECNAVIA

The Sun /Thursday, June 23, 2016 VIEWPOINT www.yoursun.com E/N/C Our Town Page 11
    An estimated 64 percent of jail inmates suffer from a mental illness or substance abuse. Their needs are unique and costly and they tend to have higher rates of misconduct and recidivism. Florida is ranked 48th in funding for mental health. With the lack of funding for mental health and substance abuse facilities, local jails and prisons are left caring for those in need of medical or mental health care. Local jails have become pseudo-mental health facilities and medical clinics. During our local Mental Health Summit held on May 26, we discussed what CCSO is doing as an organization, and as a community to address these issues.
    Further action is a must.
    On Aug. 22, Gregg Ireland was arrested for driving under the influence with a .314 blood alcohol level. His addiction caused him to cross paths with law enforcement. Most suffering from mental illness and/or addiction do not care for themselves and often suffer from other medical conditions. Such was the case with Mr. Ireland, who after becoming agitated and aggressive suffered a medical emergency while deputies tried to restrain him and transfer him to a direct observation cell. Jail and medical staff began CPR, which caused bruising and broken ribs. He was transported to a medical facility where, unfortunately, he succumbed to several pre-existing medical conditions. Historically, law enforcement is trained to meet resistance with the necessary force needed to overcome that resistance. Today, if not an emergency situation, we must take a different look and reassess the situation as time permits. Today training focuses on crisis intervention, de-confliction and tactical disengagement in dealing with those situations that might not necessarily require enforcement of laws, but certainly require identifying those in need of services and getting those services for them. This is a very different way of thinking and training from traditional law enforcement that will benefit the community as a whole and the public who comes in contact with law enforcement. Any death is a tragedy — period. Law enforcement makes every effort to prevent injury and death of those in custody. To date, we have had more than 100 inmates placed on suicide watch. In 2015, I recognized 15 jail staff members for lifesaving events within the jail. Incidents like this show what sheriffs and correctional officers around the nation must deal with each day. Indeed, it is unfortunate when an injury or death occurs, some choose to sensationalize everything and automatically treat law enforcement as culpable. The investigations are thorough and completed with the professional discretion necessary to protect all those involved from the wild speculation fueled by unnecessary sensationalism. However, even when the actions of law enforcement are cleared they still deem it necessary and appropriate to continue to cast aspersions for their own cause or purpose. We in law enforcement are out on the front line of this national problem. We encourage them to focus attention on the critical issues in our society of treatment of the mentally ill and addicted. Sheriff Bill Prummell is Charlotte County’s sheriff.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast