I found guns... (Question)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I found guns... (Question)

If you (FHP) should work a case where a vehicle (personal) goes off a bridge into the water...

And the wrecker driver finds "guns" in said vehicle, upon pulling the vehicle out, what is the proper procedure for documentation of these "guns"?

Are there forms to complete? Can you advise?

Just asking? Opine?

Re: I found guns... (Question)

Facebook is best way to document them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    If you (FHP) should work a case where a vehicle (personal) goes off a bridge into the water...

And the wrecker driver finds "guns" in said vehicle, upon pulling the vehicle out, what is the proper procedure for documentation of these "guns"?

Are there forms to complete? Can you advise?

Just asking? Opine?

Depends..... Get a life diamond dave!

I went back over some to this guys past posts. He seems to have an ax to grind. Is he a former Trooper who has been run off?

You take them into your care and place them into evidence or your area may require you take them to the local sheriff for them to put into their evidence.

In the end they are supposed to end up at the local sheriff office either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    You take them into your care and place them into evidence or your area may require you take them to the local sheriff for them to put into their evidence.

You're not exactly correct. If the owner is present and he/she is not a felon and there are no charges revolving around the firearm, the owner can take possession of the gun. The guns would not be turned over to the Sheriff or put into evidence simply because they were in a vehicle involved in a wreck. If the gun could not be turned over to its owner then it would be place in safekeeping.

You're not exactly correct. If the owner is present and he/she is not a felon and there are no charges revolving around the firearm, the owner can take possession of the gun. The guns would not be turned over to the Sheriff or put into evidence simply because they were in a vehicle involved in a wreck. If the gun could not be turned over to its owner then it would be place in safekeeping.
    It is pretty clear that if it is a wrecker driving finding the guns two things have happened.

1. The owner of the guns is not present.

2. The trooper failed to do a proper inventory of the vehicle.

Yes the trooper failed to do a good inventory... When the vehicle is still underwater....

Trooper should of scuba'd up and went underwater to properly document the belongings inside the vehicle at final rest. It is unacceptable to allow the tow truck to hook up and drag a vehicle out of the water prior to your inventory.

[/Sarcasm]

Unless the guy is prohibited by law to own a gun you give it back to him, it is his.

Yes the trooper failed to do a good inventory... When the vehicle is still underwater....

Trooper should of scuba'd up and went underwater to properly document the belongings inside the vehicle at final rest. It is unacceptable to allow the tow truck to hook up and drag a vehicle out of the water prior to your inventory.

[/Sarcasm]
    It is not the wrecker drivers responsibility to inventory the car. Once it is removed from the water it is the troopers responsibility to do the inventory. Please tell me you are not a trooper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast