florida's sex offenders - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: florida's sex offenders

And more cases are pled down also due to the sentences being so long and everyone saying they will go to trial now with many witnesses that refuse to actually show up for trial and have moved on and out of state - They used to give a few years and a lot of supervision to many of those cases but now they get pled down to Child abuse and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    And more cases are pled down also due to the sentences being so long and everyone saying they will go to trial now with many witnesses that refuse to actually show up for trial and have moved on and out of state - They used to give a few years and a lot of supervision to many of those cases but now they get pled down to Child abuse and the rest.
    I liken it to passing the buck. I have no problem "paying" for longer incarceration. I doubt many people do. When one truly does their homework and realizes the majority of these people are much more dangerous than what a "flyer" indicates its mindboggling how the "system" can throw them out onto the backs of the public in good conscience. Only the public suffers from the "corrections shuffle". But then thats a debate for another day. It isnt enough to be outraged anymore and it takes years to get any meaningful legislation even on the table. Which brings me back to my original post. Legislators need to be hit in the face with numbers (real numbers) not the after the fact DOJ studies released to coincide with proposed policies to "save a buck". Florida has unique circumstances that have no correlation to sex offenders in Kentucky, so I shake my head when across the board policies comes up. All one has to do is read the daily headlines and Miami-Dade/Broward counties registries to see We are paying a HUGE amount of money and resources for foriegn criminal aliens who have decimated our safety while feeding a correctional system. I am not prepared to lower residency restrictions to make room for these guys. It goes against everything I believe in.

Its not really passing the buck - It has created the situation where the victim moves and refuses to testify/return where these sick cases get out of registration and residence restrictions due to the law mandating so much time so they take their chances whether the victim will show or not in court. So you have a lot more of these cases that use to have to register skating with charges thrown out in Court or just plea to Child Abuse. The talking heads ignore this when brought up in the media. I personally have quite a few of these situations - much more than years ago.

Whats the average timeline for prosecution on these cases? I know the wheels of justice move slowly and the more money one has under their wings even slower still. Also it has been stated that the majority of abuse happens close to home relative, parent , step parent..Its an observation at this point but It seems more and more women (wives) are very co dependant on some of these offenders and defend them at any cost even at the expense of their children. Do you happen to observe this dysfunction often?

Quote Originally Posted by Valigator
    Whats the average timeline for prosecution on these cases? I know the wheels of justice move slowly and the more money one has under their wings even slower still. Also it has been stated that the majority of abuse happens close to home relative, parent , step parent..Its an observation at this point but It seems more and more women (wives) are very co dependant on some of these offenders and defend them at any cost even at the expense of their children. Do you happen to observe this dysfunction often?
    Well when we get them the wife has already left is she is going to usually. Most of the cases involving pre-teenagers I would say the victim was usually a family member but many times it was a coach etc. Yep most of these cases get dragged on a long time due the seriousness of them and the rest. I just think its crazy there isn't more in the media about how many walk away now with a child abuse type charge which doesn't get the designation as a sex offender since the laws got changed with the minimum 20+ year sentences. It has created that problem in addition to getting many locked away for a very long time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234