FHP Reserve Questions

FHP Reserve Questions

Hello all,

I'm already state certified, and would like to maintain my standards and get back on the road a bit too. I'm currently a Federal Officer, but was a Deputy for 4 years, and with FWC for 3 years. My certs expire in about 18 months, so I need to get the ball rolling soon. Although I would still be interested in an Aux slot, I feel being a reserve would be more up my alley. I've got a fair amount of experience, having completed every FDLE advanced course offered, and would be able to contribute significantly more being able to work independently. Sig 4s, 10-50s, and DUIs are no issue for me at all. Working a THI is another story, and I would defer to the FHP experts on that one.

My question is what additional training would be required of me to obtain a reserve slot? I understand that high liability training is a must, but do all reserves have to complete the 320hr Aux Course as well?? I would think being state certified with 7 years prior experience would allow an officer to bypass the Aux Course and jump right into the high liability portion.

Any information or comments would be most appreciative. Thanks everyone, and be safe.

FHP Wanne Be (reserve that is)

Re: FHP Reserve Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Guest34983
    Hello all,

I'm already state certified, and would like to maintain my standards and get back on the road a bit too. I'm currently a Federal Officer, but was a Deputy for 4 years, and with FWC for 3 years. My certs expire in about 18 months, so I need to get the ball rolling soon. Although I would still be interested in an Aux slot, I feel being a reserve would be more up my alley. I've got a fair amount of experience, having completed every FDLE advanced course offered, and would be able to contribute significantly more being able to work independently. Sig 4s, 10-50s, and DUIs are no issue for me at all. Working a THI is another story, and I would defer to the FHP experts on that one.

My question is what additional training would be required of me to obtain a reserve slot? I understand that high liability training is a must, but do all reserves have to complete the 320hr Aux Course as well?? I would think being state certified with 7 years prior experience would allow an officer to bypass the Aux Course and jump right into the high liability portion.

Any information or comments would be most appreciative. Thanks everyone, and be safe.

FHP Wanne Be (reserve that is)
    The facts about FHP Reserve Program: For many years the Patrol maintained a reserve component that was open only to Troopers who retired from FHP in good standing. Many retirees became reserve Troopers to maintain their certification. Several years ago, however, the Director of the Florida Highway Patrol changed the policy so that individuals with no prior connection to the agency can join the reserve. If appointed, you would need only complete agency-specific high liability training. It would the same as when you transitioned from FWC to your SO.

Opinion about the FHP Reserve Program/FHP in general: First, the change referenced above to allow non-FHP retirees to join the reserves appears to be on paper only. I do not know of any non-retiree appointed to the reserves since the policy change. Also, the reserves "on the road" are nearly non-existant. Very, very rarely are reserves 10-8. There are non minimum requirements in service hours and I know of only one reserve member who actually works the road.
    because The lack of leadership, low morale and overall apathy hangs over this agency like low-lying fog. The bottom line is that this agency does not care about its members. While that is my opinion, it's an opinion I've formed with plenty of evidence to substantiate it. If you really want to maintain your certification through the reserves, apply somewhere that will value you and your service. Many SO's have them, FWC does (or at least they did, not sure anymore) even some places like Universities and Airports.

First, thanks very much for your response, and the clarification on the FHP Reserve program. I had been having some trouble finding any information on the reserve program at all, so you've helped a lot.
    I understand what you mean about possibly joining another agency for a reserve slot instead of the FHP. However, my dilemma lies in that my current full time job is in law enforcement, Federal, in that all of the local agencies will NOT let me serve in a reserve capacity. It's a liability issue, and I can understand that to a point. When I last had contact with an FHP recruiter (auxiliary), this was last year mind you, they had no issue with me being a full time LEO and advised me that the policy had no prohibitions etc. I'm still attempting to contact an active FHP recruiter now to confirm this, but I've been unable to thus far. (lots of emails and voicemails....no responses though)
    Besides, I've worked with you guys/gals before, and you were always my back up when I called. I've always had good interactions with Troopers, and feel that it might not be bad gig for me to maintain my certs, and help out every now and again too.
    Thank you for honesty and candor. I appreciate it. I hope morale starts to jump up again, buddy. I know how it is to work somewhere when morale is in the sh****r, and it just sucks. Take care and be safe, Trooper.

I don't know if you have received any updated information so here is a bit. The 'Level 5' (Auxiliary Reserve full powers) function is dead. Only full time troopers that leave 'active duty' can be Reserve. They have full powers but no car or portable radio (they have to check them out when going 10-8). If you join the Auxiliary you will be able to maintain your certification. As to where to join, that is the question. The full time Major has all the say in what ANYONE in his/her command do. In some troops the Major will welcome A/men and provide all the support. In other troops the Auxiliary gets lip service, at best. The FHPA is in need of a/men since the FDLE upped the course work to 320 hours (still half of a full time academy), volunteers are very hesitant to commit to that level of training. All together, it takes about two years for a volunteer to get through the testing and training phase. Since you have full standards, you will have to go through the full 'testing' phase (PAT, Poly, Psych, Medical, Drug, BGI) but once that is done under the current policy you only have to take about 18 hours to prove your prophecies in the high liability areas (driving, firearms and DT). I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by aux
    I don't know if you have received any updated information so here is a bit. The 'Level 5' (Auxiliary Reserve full powers) function is dead. Only full time troopers that leave 'active duty' can be Reserve. They have full powers but no car or portable radio (they have to check them out when going 10-8). If you join the Auxiliary you will be able to maintain your certification. As to where to join, that is the question. The full time Major has all the say in what ANYONE in his/her command do. In some troops the Major will welcome A/men and provide all the support. In other troops the Auxiliary gets lip service, at best. The FHPA is in need of a/men since the FDLE upped the course work to 320 hours (still half of a full time academy), volunteers are very hesitant to commit to that level of training. All together, it takes about two years for a volunteer to get through the testing and training phase. Since you have full standards, you will have to go through the full 'testing' phase (PAT, Poly, Psych, Medical, Drug, BGI) but once that is done under the current policy you only have to take about 18 hours to prove your prophecies in the high liability areas (driving, firearms and DT). I hope this helps.
    Aux, I'm also FHPA and the original responder to the posting. I agree with most of what you wrote except for this part: "Only full time troopers that leave 'active duty' can be Reserve." As I wrote in the original response, such a requirement used to be the case but several years ago this was changed--at least on paper. Now, Policy 18.01.05 (B)(1)(c) allows for "other persons, who possess unique qualities, experience, training, or other skills which would make them valuable members of the Florida Highway Patrol, and who are certified in Florida as a law enforcement officer." I say that the policy changed "on paper" because I don't know of any Reserve Trooper appointed under that section. Also, another section permits FHPA members who have full standards and two years of service to become Reserve Troopers as well....but again I'm not aware of any FHPA member who has become a Reserve Trooper, either.