Employment - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Employment

Re: Employment

[quote=Average Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by usetobe
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":2ipfmtou
    Quote Originally Posted by usetobe
    I would not ever advise anyone to apply at HCSO. They love to disqualify people for any reason and this now ruins your chances elsewhere. Most agencies ask if you have been turned down somewhere, and if you tell them yes then they don't want to waste their time on you either.

That is why HCSO can't find deputies. If you farted in Walmart your disqualified. Go elsewhere.

This is such BS. I can't believe you even posted that statement.

Other agencies know that law enforcement jobs are in great demand. Almost all agencies like TPD, HCSO, Pinellas, Pasco have hundreds of applicants for a few positions. They know if you got turned down by one does not mean you are not a fit for another.
    How about an example of how this hurt a good applicant?
    [/quote:2ipfmtou]

I know of one that was turned down because he was in a vehicle that ducked the police years ago over a traffic violation. This was before he spent 4 years in the military but was still disqualified over it. Not sure if he was the driver or not.

I know of one that was turned down because he was in a vehicle that ducked the police years ago over a traffic violation. This was before he spent 4 years in the military but was still disqualified over it. Not sure if he was the driver or not.
    That would get you disqualified by many agencies.

Maybe but he was up front about it and told them about it. Like I said HCSO takes petty old incidents too seriously. A few Years back the investigators even thought so, some of them left recruitment or retired.

Oh well we all have our opinions. Just glad no one I know is looking there.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    That would get you disqualified by many agencies.
    It makes a huge difference whether he was the driver or passenger my friend. Not a good example if he was the driver, as I too agree that fleeing from the popo when driving would and should make you ineligible at most any police agency. Now if he was just a passenger, totally different story unless there were some extenuating circumstances.

For the most part, I do believe that HCSO is too strict and too quick to disqualify someone over other circumstances, like a speeding ticket many years ago or having certain blemishes on your credit history etc. If all agencies were so strict and disqualified people like HCSO does for things like minor credit problems, there would be a National shortage crisis for eligible applicants. HCSO has used the weak economy and large number of unemployed people Nationwide, including many with College Degrees and vast Military Service experience. Making the situation even worse, is that HCSO is well aware of the large pool of unemployed applicants seeking "ANY" job with decent pay & "BENEFITS", so they can and often do terminate or encourage a Deputy's Resignation at a drop of the hat for things that used to result in no more then a Written Reprimand or Suspension as the most severe penalty. They know that they can easily replace you and unless you are politically connected, that is exactly what they do.

The big problem with this way of thinking and treating many of whom are Veteran Deputies, is that they cannot so easily replace the years of experience that goes with these Deputies.

You are missing the point. Why can HCSO be so restrictive? They can be so restrictive because they have so many good applicants. You almost have to be squeaky clean in order to be hired.

One thing is certain. With so many good applicants to pick from one has to wonder how bad is HCSO. Many here want you to look elsewhere and post how awful the agency is. But the good applicants keep coming any way.

So one has to ask how bad is it really. Yes HCSO is very under staffed and the Office is ran with a thumb pressed on everyone. But many know that one day this administration will be gone and hopefully it will once again be fun to work there. At the same time you also have to be smart enough to know that if you attend your roll call and then hit the road you are alone in your 4 wheeled office with no one to breathing down your neck.

Alone in your four-wheeled office? Beside the public monitoring your every move, you have the dreaded GPS which tracks everything you do or do not do. You have all of the mandated checks on probation, sex offenders, juveniles, warrants, etc., emails from the office (sometimes +++) along with whatever else you may have been assigned. The days of being on your own for investigations, traffic stops, and proactive policing are long gone. You are now just a tool of ILP.

You are missing the point. Why can HCSO be so restrictive? They can be so restrictive because they have so many good applicants. You almost have to be squeaky clean in order to be hired.

One thing is certain. With so many good applicants to pick from one has to wonder how bad is HCSO. Many here want you to look elsewhere and post how awful the agency is. But the good applicants keep coming any way.

So one has to ask how bad is it really. Yes HCSO is very under staffed and the Office is ran with a thumb pressed on everyone. But many know that one day this administration will be gone and hopefully it will once again be fun to work there. At the same time you also have to be smart enough to know that if you attend your roll call and then hit the road you are alone in your 4 wheeled office with no one to breathing down your neck.

I am confused, just the other day it was HCSO could not get any good applicants..... Now you are saying there are so many good applicants? I guess I am missing the point. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx

I am confused, just the other day it was HCSO could not get any good applicants..... Now you are saying there are so many good applicants? I guess I am missing the point. :?

I'm speaking in the mind of HCSO. Sorry for the confusion.

Most "old timers" feel the deputies they are hiring today are not the caliber they hired in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

:lol: Okay understand now.

They certainly are not the same as those hired decades ago. This is not to say that they are less educated, as we know that is the furthest thing they have in common. What you don't get now are the majority of applicants who grew up wanting to go into public service or the amount of applicants who show any respect for the veterans who served with pride before them. They almost all neglect to try and soak up the knowledge from deputies who were working these streets when they were in Kindergarden. Today's applicants have grown up in a different era, where most of society doesn't know the meaning of the term "public service" or "brotherhood". Today, everyone is so concerned about themselves and how to get ahead with the least amount of effort and sacrifice. It's amazing how many new recruits think that because they have a family or other issues in their lives, that they should not be required to work the "night shift" as one example. Most also have a false pretense that they "know it all" because they attended college and that the stricter hiring requirements make them better deputies then the vets who have a decade or more working the streets. No classroom or academy remotely comes close to the training & knowledge received from working the streets for years. It's sad but entirely the truth that the gap between the vets and new recruits has expanded to a point where it becomes difficult for vets to train todays recruits and nearly impossible to work together as one team. There are some exceptions among todays recruits, but frankly not very many. Most vets came into this profession when the economy was good and the pay was poor. Today's recruit enters this profession when the economy is poor and the pay is good. It makes a tremendous difference in the mindset and caliber of which deputy is wearing the uniform next to you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast