I was told by a Trooper that TxDPS is trading their Sig Sauer pistols chambered in .357 Sig for S&W M&P in 9mm as their primary service weapon. In the past, studies conducted by Law enforcement agencies nationwide have demonstrated that while highly available and cost effective, the 9mm cartridge does not deliver enough kinetic energy on impact to stop a human being. For this reason, most switched to bigger calibers such as the .40 S&W and 45 ACP. Cheaper is not always better.

Issuing Troopers a lighter round is a terrible idea. In many instances Troopers are outnumbered and outgunned. Criminals on the freeways of Texas have access to body armor, and highly powerful weapons that they use to protect their cargo and money. For this reason, It is only logical that Troopers are issued a round that allow them to neutralize such threats quickly and effectively. The 9mm cartridge isn't simply powerful enough to do this.

Some argue that it's not about power; it's about accuracy, but I beg to differ. I watched a documentary a few years back where a Navy SEAL firearms instructor argued that the HK MP-5 was very effective despite the fact that it fired a 9mm projectile. He said that if a trained operator put two rounds through someone's heart and one through their head they wouldn't know or care about the caliber. 1) Key word: "Trained Operator" Navy SEALs expend thousands of rounds per month in order maintain a high level of proficiency. Troopers don't. 2) MP-5s are select fire weapons used in CQB settings where operators have the element of surprise. 9 times out of 10 Troopers will shoot defensively rather than offensively. Anyone who has ever been in a firefight would agree that employing a weapon in a life or death situation is completely different from practicing marksmanship at the range. Low-light conditions, adrenaline, collateral damage, calling for back up, and avoiding getting shot in the middle of nowhere and bleed to death, are enough things for a Trooper to consider. Having to worry about perfect sight alignment in order to hit a suspect in a vital organ is an added stressor that is simply unnecessary.

I hope TxDPS reconsiders their position regarding the issue of 9mm pistols. Troopers deserve quality and adequate equipment in order to have a fighting chance in the environment and conditions they are exposed to on a daily basis. As appealing as it may be, trading in quality, battle-tested weapons, for free new ones, chambered in a cheaper and substandard round can and will prove costly in the long run. :shock: