The lingering effects of police scandals - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The lingering effects of police scandals

1988, clearly you are lost! People make false reports against leo's all the time, for a variety of reasons. Either they are scumbags and the police are interfering with their line of work (illegal drug sales), they received a ticket, or any other reason one might think. What I think Rich was saying is in 1988 when someone made a complaint against an officer it was looked at in if erroneous nothing else happened but in today's environment of political correctness every complaint, regardless of how frivolous it might be, is investigated by a team of investigators and the officer is made out to be the bad guy when he was only doing his job.

I worked at PCPD in 1988, I do not remember any false reports on any officers. I was checking to see what complaint he was referring to. I agree if an alleged complaint is made against an officer it should be checked out regardless of how minor i might be. That's why PD's have an Internal Affairs Division...if an Officer has done nothing wrong then he shouldn't worry about the complaint.

1988, I respect the fact you worked there in 1988, but think you are missing the point. Rich was replying to another poster who referenced false reports made againsts Leo's. rich said in 1988 you would take someone to jail for simply smarting off but you can't do that now (yes Rich should have used a comma in his post to avoid the confusion). The fact remains law enforcement is to politically correct today and people are showing up to the lobby to complain before the officer evens clears the scene. Clearance Thomas is correct, people are to sensitive.

Thanks for explaining that guys, could not have said it better myself, from now on I promise to use more ,,,,,,,,,,,,, In 1988 you wrote the report then put them in later sometimes you miss one

I worked at PCPD in 1988 as well. We did have a number of complaints filed and of the ones I was aware of, many were false. As Rich posted, we had the drug dealers, irate motorists, arrestee, and more. I remember many times hearing Sgt Stemmer egging them on. A suspect would complain to Stemmer that the Officer abused his rights in one way or the other and Stemmer would say that he believed the complainant, that the Officer was always doing things like that. A few years later when we were in the squad room, Greg Dampier got so angry about someone making a frivolous complaint, he resigned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12