PAA - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: PAA

Re: PAA

Joe: Not true...The PAA (in-service) as used by HCSO is one that was designed solely for HCSO at the request of the Sheriff and chief. I do not know of any other agency in the State of Florida that uses the HCSO model (run, wall, 75 steps, sled, slalom, dummy drag, and memory sequence). Most would not have the available resources as HCSO has the training center with the course and instructors. Can you imagine what would happen to some of the tiny agencies in North Florida if the HCSO model was in universal use...

In addition, some of you are confusing all of these physical tests: There is a pre-employment PAA which requires sit-up, push-ups, a vertical leap, and a run. Then there is the annual in-service PAA which is the course at the range with the steps, dummy drag, load and unload magazine, etc. And, finally, there is the fitness challenge which is a totally separate course and is a requirement for promotion. Please stop confusing the three. And, by the way, the first two are requirements for Reserve I and Reserve II deputies as well (one of the reasons the ranks of the Reserves has fallen over the past few years).

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It
    In addition, some of you are confusing all of these physical tests: There is a pre-employment PAA which requires sit-up, push-ups, a vertical leap, and a run. Then there is the annual in-service PAA which is the course at the range with the steps, dummy drag, load and unload magazine, etc. And, finally, there is the fitness challenge which is a totally separate course and is a requirement for promotion. Please stop confusing the three. And, by the way, the first two are requirements for Reserve I and Reserve II deputies as well (one of the reasons the ranks of the Reserves has fallen over the past few years).
    I thought it was the dumbass rules that the Reserve program keeps implementing that turned a bunch of good guys that could work crashes or fill in a zone to a bunch of guys who aren't allowed to write reports, issues citations, or arrest people anymore and only work parades.

Joe: Not true...The PAA (in-service) as used by HCSO is one that was designed solely for HCSO at the request of the Sheriff and chief. I do not know of any other agency in the State of Florida that uses the HCSO model (run, wall, 75 steps, sled, slalom, dummy drag, and memory sequence). Most would not have the available resources as HCSO has the training center with the course and instructors. Can you imagine what would happen to some of the tiny agencies in North Florida if the HCSO model was in universal use...

Prior to my retirement the in-service PAA was developed by FDLE/Police Standards with a recommendation of a time I think was around 6:04, and yes the course was a joke.

For several years FDLE tried to revamp the course and finally threw in the towel when they did not like the suggested course. HCSO did like it and went to that course. Even though FDLE did not mandate an in-service yearly PAA many agencies used the course that FDLE recommended.

For those wondering why HCSO still uses this re-vamped course you need to read this link to read why.

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content...paper-pdf.aspx

One of the reasons that law enforcement got away from the yearly PAA was because of lawsuits. FDLE had a yearly in-service PAA much like we use today. When several failed they claimed that FDLE did not provide them "on duty" time to keep fit. Thus FDLE would allow an agent 4 hours a week to play any sport they wanted as long as the agent submitted a letter stating the sport.

This worked for about 1 year as agents who were injured playing these sports started to file workman's comp claims stating they were "on duty" at the time of injury. State Workman's Comp agreed. FDLE took the employees to court and lost. Thus FDLE got out of the in-service PAA training business.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I thought it was the dumbass rules that the Reserve program keeps implementing that turned a bunch of good guys that could work crashes or fill in a zone to a bunch of guys who aren't allowed to write reports, issues citations, or arrest people anymore and only work parades.
    Why anybody would actually volunteer to lift a finger for this administration is stupid. Can't you see that Gee has even ruined the work environment for the reserve deputies as well? He and Docobo continually destroy the place every chance they get.

Some of you are so obviuosly naive by thinking that the things you read on here are by only the disgruntled vets venting. It's mainly the new hires that have about a year or two on the street that can't stop cursing this place out on my particular platoon. The vets also hate it, but at least they have a end in sight, where as the new troops turn pale and want to puke realizing they have to do this for 30 years in order to retire now.

All I have to say, is that anyone that comes to hcso for employment needs to have tbeir head examined.

[quote=Average Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FRJ Posse":1swo61u9
    Average Joe, again you post something you absolutely know nothing about. You are not going to pass the current yearly PAA by walking it. I am on a specialty team and in very good shape and I pass it in the high 3's to low 4 minutes. Which leaves me about a good minute and a half left. The person who is barely making it on the PAA will surely never pass the Fitness Challenge which is required to get on a specialty team, promotion and Transportation.

Did I every say anything about a specialty team or a promotion? Notice I left off Transportation as that is a "turn key" job. And please take note that I said "PAA and State", not the fitness challenge and State, which by the way is not even recognized by the State.

I have many friends that are still there, and working in Recruitment and Training, and all say the yearly PAA, as required by the State, is still a joke.[/quote:1swo61u9]

As you know apparently know this and EVERYTHING ELSE at a place you no longer work at Joe? No surprise when your supposed friends work in all the administration sections of the office Joe. Of course they will say how grand everything is when they work in non street level positions. You have not ever taken the new PAA but yet you claim to be a expert on it? If you have not been able to tell, the regular posters on here are getting fed up with your arrogance on things you no longer have tl deal with on a daily basis like those that are still stuck working for this sinking ship of a sheriffs office. You have no idea just how crappy this office treats it's deputies these days. You need to be actually working here and dealing with it first hand, rather then via word of mouth of those supposed friends you speak of. This office has drastically changed since you left and none of it for the better. I sit in on squad meetings and hear the distaste, displeasure and broken morale of nearly every deputy, new or senior, that speaks during these meetings......Quality Management member, hopeless anymore.

Average Joe: "PID CHECK!". BTW, judging by your know it all attitude I know you probably have a three digit PID and are a has been from the Malcolm Beard era.

Sign me;
    4 Digit PID

Quote Originally Posted by FRJ Posse
    Average Joe: "PID CHECK!". BTW, judging by your know it all attitude I know you probably have a three digit PID and are a has been from the Malcolm Beard era.

Sign me;
    4 Digit PID
    Wouldn't you like to know.

And for the guest poster. Yes things are worse than when I was there. But many that I stay in touch with still enjoy their job. I even have a family member still there that loves their job. So you had better take a re-think when you say I do not know how it is there.

I will say this. That anyone that hates where they work, no matter what type of work they are doing, need to re-think are they doing the right thing by staying as it does appear to be many more years before this administration moves on. So you have to ask, is this job worth it? If it is just do your job, keep your nose clean, and hope for the best.

But there are few deputies that actually post here so what you are reading is *****ing by a minority. And when you ***** about the job to others around you all you are doing is spreading the poison.

Time to "turn the key".

[quote=Average Joe]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FRJ Posse":1gjgkkvl

Sign me;
    4 Digit PID

And for the guest poster. Yes things are worse than when I was there. But many that I stay in touch with still enjoy their job. I even have a family member still there that loves their job. So you had better take a re-think when you say I do not know how it is there.

I will say this. That anyone that hates where they work, no matter what type of work they are doing, need to re-think are they doing the right thing by staying as it does appear to be many more years before this administration moves on. So you have to ask, is this job worth it? If it is just do your job, keep your nose clean, and hope for the best.

But there are few deputies that actually post here so what you are reading is *****ing by a minority. And when you ***** about the job to others around you all you are doing is spreading the poison.

Time to "turn the key".[/quote:1gjgkkvl]
    So are you saying in so many words if someone does not like it, then leave?

[quote=lynx]
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by "FRJ Posse":2ap6an4h

Sign me;
    4 Digit PID

Time to "turn the key".
    So are you saying in so many words if someone does not like it, then leave?[/quote:2ap6an4h]

What I am saying is that if your job causes you so much internal turmoil why would you stay.

If you are so upset having to work everyday because of the attitudes of those around you maybe you should think about a move or even a career change. If your attitude is affecting your family life or if when out with friends all you do is ***** about the Office then maybe you need to move to another agency or change careers.

However if you can attend roll calls, let the negative bounce off you until you can get to your car, which can shield you from much of the Office BS, then hang in there. Management comes and goes. How you do things and how you are trained will change almost yearly. Some of these changes will come full circle leaving you scratching your head and wondering "why".

Management does change. Yes I have been through many sheriff's and each had their own style. But I was able to adapt to all. Having said that the one that has disappointed the most has been Sheriff Gee. He was know for years as someone that was caring and honest. The David Gee as Sheriff turned out to be someone we did not know, and most do not like.

Many were very happy the day Henderson said he would not run for another term. I think many wish he was still here.

The one thing you do not want to happen is to become known as someone with a poor attitude. You do not want to be known as someone that has their name on a chair in IA or in the supervisors office.

And the last thing you do not want to do is open your mouth around others. Yes, supervisors may ***** in roll call but you can take this to the bank, these same supervisors will sell you out to those higher up and point you out as part of the problem.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast