Marked & Unmarked Take-Home Vehicle Priviledges? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Marked & Unmarked Take-Home Vehicle Priviledges?

Aaah yes, so flipping "disgruntled" that the TRUTH must be mentioned every few years.. :roll:

Some may want to actually take the hint come change in command, possibly sooner then some seem to predict.

Furthermore, this hint surely goes to those who go as crazy far as to use their assigned county vehicle on a full time personal basis out of county. Don't worry though, as I'm sure there just being limited to the surrounding counties..

As several of you have stated this subject comes up every couple of years and as everyone knows there are those out there that abuse the take home vehicle privilege. My disclaimer to this post is that the vast majority of deputies that I worked with and observed on a daily basis did not abuse the take home car program and followed the policies set forth to a tee. This may be a little long but stay with me now.

That said here are just a couple of observations I personally observed over the years. We were once looking for an elderly lady with dementia who had walked away from her families residence and was reported as missing one evening. You all know the drill, helicopters, K9's, all units, door to door checks in the neighborhood, etc, etc... A couple of hours into the search the lady was found walking down the street by an off duty sergeant that was in his un-marked HCSO vehicle. We were all glad she was found and we could cancel the search and go about our other business. I was called over to meet with the off duty sergeant and stay with the lady until her family could met us there on the side of the road and take her home. It was great that the off duty sergeant found the lady but when I met up with him he had his entire family, wife, kids, in his unmarked HCSO vehicle as they had went to Outback for dinner and were on their way back home. I also need to mention that the sergeant was wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. To his credit he was listening to the radio as SOP dictates and knew of the search as well as saved the HCSO and the taxpayers money by finding the missing lady.

Another example that I observed was another off duty sergeant in her un-marked HCSO vehicle who observed a minor traffic violation and conducted a traffic stop. She approached the vehicle and did all the normal traffic stop stuff. As she ran the drivers information she learned that the driver was a fairly, shall we say, dangerous fellow who had a few outstanding warrants for some violent felonies. She came over the radio requesting several units to respond to her traffic stop ASAP because she had her family in her un-marked HCSO vehicle with her and was concerned for their safety. Well all ended well this time, the marked on duty zone cars arrived and handled the situation by arresting the driver, doing all of the paperwork, and impounding the vehicle, as the sergeant had someplace to be and had her 3 kids in her vehicle with her to include a young one strapped into a car seat. To her credit she was professionally dressed while operating the vehicle.

These are just a couple of the many examples that I personally have seen over the years. Both of these individuals were later promoted with the agency and I guess are still there today. I throw these two examples out there not to discredit the agency or the take home car program but to let you know that stupid people will do stupid stuff from time to time. Think before you use your un-marked HCSO vehicle for personal errands or trips and before putting your family inside the car with you. Everyone knows what an un-marked police car looks like. It's no secret. Sergeant Ron Harrison, God Rest His Soul, was shot and killed for no other reason than being a cop operating his un-marked HCSO issued vehicle on a public roadway. Yes he was on duty at the time but that is really a non-issue. He could have just as easily been off duty driving to the same store for some milk or bread.

This concludes my rant on this subject. Thank you for listening. Now, back to retirement.

My unmarked unit did not look like anything patrol drove and I had one for many many years. I never drove without the appropriate clothing unless sent out of county for training.

I also did not drive my family or use the car off duty.

In my 30+ years I have only witnessed one person violate the clothing policy. That person also was the person that wrote it. ops:

What is the deal with the baby seats and transporting your infant in an SO car?

What happens if there is an accident and the infant is hurt?

Is there a written policy on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMama

Don't know. I just told ya what I seen a long time ago in a land far away. Never said I agreed with it.

My guess is that the S.O. would probably try and defer to the deputies private vehicle insurance carrier at which time State Farm, Allstate, Geico, or whichever would get their lawyers and claims people involved for a nice little legal scrap.

I would suggest you do like another poster above suggested and contact the office for a copy of the S.O.P. to read for yourself. Come on dude, if ya wanna be an investigative reporter ya gotta investigate and research a little bit. If you want a better story instead of take home cars I would suggest you do your special live at 5 report on the manpower shortage (deputy to citizen ratio), or the UCR crime rates and how crime is reported in the county. Another great topic for an investigative report would be the fact that if a deputy gets injured in the line of duty protecting and serving the community and he or she cant get back to work in 180 days they are cast away like dog crap on an old shoe.

NB.........I think there is a state law that would not allow HCSO to go after your private insurance carrier. I do know that if you have an accident with the SO vehicle your own insurance company can not use that against you nor can the sheriff try to collect from your insurer if you are at fault.

However your insurance carrier medical coverage can be used to cover your costs that the county will not cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    This is no reporter. A reporter, like anyone else, can go to each agency and ask for this information. They can also ask for the studies that show why we do this.

This is nothing than someone that is trying to stir the pot or gather information, the bad stuff, that they think would help fuel the fire.

Yea go stir your crap somewhere else,,,,Cant believe in this day and age we have to deal with some little cry-baby venting about a take home vehicle...slow down there junior leo

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMama

It would depend on WHO you are, as in whether you are politically connected or your dad is the Chief Deputy or other Command Staffer. If not, they will make a example out of you and black ball you for life at the office. HCSO is the worst retaliatory and hostile work environment I have ever been a part of. Even the military is less punitive and retaliatory then HCSO. Gee and Docobo have gotten away with way to much over the years and think they are invincible. They remind me of the type people that have to drive a bright red sports car just so they can be seen and even more importantly, to make up for everything they are lacking. They live & breath for the power of their positions and are NOTHINGS without it. They try to intimidate those of a lesser rank at HCSO and have no clue just how much they are HATED by the troops and the staffers who pathetically kiss their asses in order to try and get ahead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12