another deputy hurt in line of duty fired - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: another deputy hurt in line of duty fired

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    In the end, all these improperly cleared and wrongly unfounded crimes not only hurt the actual crime victims themselves as well as the citizens of hillsborough county, but rather this pathetic trend of trying to make the crime rate stats look lower then they actually are, results in the county board of commissioners approving LESS new deputy positions for the street. Another factor why the deputy to citizen ratio in hillsborough county is among the lowest in the state and the nation.
    Which leads us back to the topic at hand in this thread. Less deputies on the street to assist and backup their fellow LEO's will more than likely lead to more deputies being injured in the line of duty while just doing the job that they have sworn to do. Don't get injured to bad or be out on disability for more than the allotted time period or you will be kicked to the curb with a mailed letter to your home signed by the Chief, "For the Sheriff." Like I said before, F'ing disgusting and sad is what it is!

Also remember the Sheriff is choosing not to fill the 200-300 vacant positions that are approved in the budget. Doing more with less isn't always bad, but those of us working a zone could sure use more help. Gee probably doesn't even realize that the zone he lives in consistently goes without a deputy working it. Interesting to think if the Sheriff needed assistance at his residence, he would be waiting upwards of 25-30 minutes and that's probably if the deputy is running x18. If there happens to be a deputy out there, his x94 is going to be that many minutes away...

There are many nights where I have to ease back or cut off proactive police work entirely due to not having any back up. It just isn't worth it for me to go and hunt the worst criminals knowing I could easily get hurt or killed due to being out-numbered or having to wait 15 minutes for a x94. It isn't that I'm scared to do my job... it is because of the comments in this thread that have been widely known around HCSO even before being posted here. If I get hurt, I don't know for sure if HCSO is going to back me or not.

I still believe HCSO is a great agency, but there definitely needs to be a change in mindset of the command staff, or get a new command staff (this includes certain Majors as well). Under the current leadership, it is going to take a deputy getting seriously injured or killed before they truly realize we are running a skeleton crew in patrol... not enough deputies, stretched too thin, covering zones that are too big. And they wonder why we speed up to priority calls. "Sorry little guy, I know your daddy is beating your mommy with a baseball bat over the head, but the deputy is 20 minutes away and there are a lot of red lights and stop signs between him and your house. Tell her to hang in there partner!"... Happens more than you think...

The above poster no doubt works in district 2 based upon the zoning and poor district Major comments. To add to this, district 2 used to be a good district to work in. Starting about 10 years ago and ever since, it has become the absolute WORST district to work in, both on the street and for the district det section. Another one of the reasons is that it has all the political crybabies from the Plant City area in it, that whine any time they have a problem and leadership bends over backwards in response. It also had 2 of the worst Lieutenants in it, who finally were recently transferred, one to a different area and the other by promotion. The district, as well as most of the office has terrible comraderie and morale. Then they add to this by firing some deps that were known for their great work ethic and reputation for going the extra mile to help their fellow deps at any cost. Nobody trusts each other anymore and it seems like the ones you could trust have either been tossed to the street curb or retired. Real fun place to come to work huh. Each week it seems to get more miserable to. I mean, all the deps that you could depend on due to their experience and reputation as always having a solution to a problem are now gone. One in particular who lost his job last year still baffles me beyond belief. He was the go to dep for anyone on the squad who had a question or needed help. It's like the agency wants to reboot all of us and
    leave us basically brain dead, where we are scared to make any thought based decisions. The term used so often (robot) really does describe how most of us now feel. The sad part is, maybe if we really were robots, they could just replace our mechanical parts and send us back to work when we got injured, but were not, were human beings and instead they have chosen to terminate the unfortunate deps who get seriously injured. Real nice huh.

With the UCR crime stats logic that is listed in this thread, that if one suspect commits a bunch of home burglaries in a specific neighborhood it is only counted as one home burglary, does this then mean that if one suspect commits three murders in a short amount of time in a specific neighborhood..............This is only counted as one murder per UCR crime statistics?? :shock:

With the UCR crime stats logic that is listed in this thread, that if one suspect commits a bunch of home burglaries in a specific neighborhood it is only counted as one home burglary, does this then mean that if one suspect commits three murders in a short amount of time in a specific neighborhood..............This is only counted as one murder per UCR crime statistics?? :shock:
    Yes, unless of course your in some certain areas of the county where it will be reclassified as a misdemeanor. That is assuming you didn't arrive on scene in time to get the victim to sign a waiver. :wink: :snicker: :snicker:

Multiple residential or business burglaries are not counted on one incident number. If they are it was wrong on the part of the supervisor who ever suggest such a thing. I can guarantee you that if a report like this ever hits the property sergeant's desk not only would it be sent back to the supervisor that signed off on it, but a copy would be sent to the major.

Multiple vehicle burglaries can be placed on one report as someone mentioned above. But to do so certain conditions must be met. And why is this? Because UCR does not see a burglary of a vehicle as a burglary. They see it, and it is reported as a trespass. However if something is taken, no matter how small or large the dollar amount, UCR will classify the offense as a "larceny" as larceny is a Part 1 offense and thus is classified at the higher classification.

As for the retail theft response above, yes many times shoplifting is a fraud and should be classified as such. Attached is a series of questions the FBI put out to help in classifying crimes with UCR. You may find them interesting. Take note on question 33 (retail theft) and question 35. You will find them interesting.

http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ucr/...FAQsforUCR.pdf

http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/pe...imereport.html

Yes, for years many agencies classified offenses wrong in UCR. HCSO has been trying to get their act together for about 20 years now. It has taken this long as many had the "I'm right, your wrong mentality" or did not know how UCR worked. Many detective sergeants thought that they had invented new ways to make their units look good to those on 8th Ave when in fact they created a rife between them and those in our UCR section.

Bottom line, if you hear someone claim we are trying to make the Office look good by cheating the UCR stats more than likely that person does not understand UCR. I know of very few deputies, or civilian employees, that have taken the time to read the UCR manual which is as thick as the old Yellow Pages phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by EX Motor 47
    I want to thank everyone for the support sent my way in ALL the replies. Never thought I would go out this way, but with the current administration I didn't expect anything more. My notice of Medical dismissal was approved by the Chief "for the Sheriff". I remain under the care of my foot surgeon and expect my 10th surgery after the first of the year. At least the cost of my surgery is still covered by workers comp. I would not wish this on anyone but if you find your self in this type of situation get a lawyer, otherwise they will screw you even worse. I have nothing but love for my brothers and sisters who do the "JOB", I loved doing mine. Happy Holidays to all be safe and watch your 6. If I can be of help to anyone or just give you the name of a GREAT lawyer call me 813-363-6967. Pid # 4858 is X102.
    seriously, So very sorry to hear about what this Administration did to you and so many others Motor-47. Was wondering though, have u applied for the Hartford disability insurance yet? If so, have they put u and your doctors through hell with the repeated & reduntant paperwork that has to be returned in a short amount of time or u are threatened with loss of claim?

I got hurt on duty, too make a long story short, I contacted human resources reference the Hartford. The human resources person told me not to bother applying to Hartford because its hard to get. I was told that I didn't even qualify. I applied anyway, within 3 weeks they gave me benefits. Yes there's paperwork to be completed by your doctor but its fill in the blanks. They will call you to update them on your status and yes every year you have to fill out paperwork, but to their credit they've been excellent. I even told several deputies who been hurt on duty to apply , they all received benefits plus 1 I know of even got retro pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurt on duty
    I got hurt on duty, too make a long story short, I contacted human resources reference the Hartford. The human resources person told me not to bother applying to Hartford because its hard to get. I was told that I didn't even qualify. I applied anyway, within 3 weeks they gave me benefits. Yes there's paperwork to be completed by your doctor but its fill in the blanks. They will call you to update them on your status and yes every year you have to fill out paperwork, but to their credit they've been excellent. I even told several deputies who been hurt on duty to apply , they all received benefits plus 1 I know of even got retro pay.
    Unless things have changed dramatically, I call BS on your reply. You either work for Hartford or are a insurance salesman. You say "every year" they check up on you, again thats BS. I just recently spoke to personnel dept and they just verified all the probs they are having with Hartford. Once a year my ass! Try every 3 weeks for short term and then every 3 months for long term disability. If Motor 47 applies, I bet he will back this up. They drive your doctors insane with wanting constant updated paperwork. Don't even try to play you r BS game here, as I challenge anybody who has doubt to call personnel or better yet, Hartford itself and inquire how often they require updates on your injury & treatment status. They suck big time.

HartfordHartford .it

No, im not lying. Hartford was ok by me.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast