25 and out
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 and out

25 and out

If you have over twenty-five years of service and are eligible to retire you really should. Life expectancy for a law enforcement officer declines rapidly. If you believe that staying for 30,35 or the insane number of 40 plus years is going to let you retire than you're just fooling yourself. Remember you didn't start this job to stay on for 30 plus years. Lets start the conversation

Re: 25 and out

Ha ha ha.. Listen kiddo can I please finish my DROP first unless you want to buy me out :devil:

As sad as it is, a lot of people in this agency have the "work until you die" mindset. Some even think they are immortal. In my 25 years here (I'm in my 26th year and will leave next year), I have seen many deputies who did not live to see retirement. Many were in the DROP and tried to work the entire five years, but did not make it.

Enjoy life while you are still here. There IS life after BSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    If you have over twenty-five years of service and are eligible to retire you really should. Life expectancy for a law enforcement officer declines rapidly. If you believe that staying for 30,35 or the insane number of 40 plus years is going to let you retire than you're just fooling yourself. Remember you didn't start this job to stay on for 30 plus years. Lets start the conversation
    I can guarantee you one thing. If you do that kind of time working 12's; then I'm afraid, my friend, you will be 6 feet under before your time. Funny you mention the life expectancy because most studies are based on 8 hour shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumped
    Ha ha ha.. Listen kiddo can I please finish my DROP first unless you want to buy me out :devil:
    I'm sure you look like one of these smilies "jumped", :wink: heavy, bald and on high blood pressure medication but that's okay when you finish the drop its more years that you put into the frs and more time you lost actually, "living", and when you drop dead a year or two after you retire and never collect what was owed to you and your family it will suck for you KIDDO. :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by MissKay
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I can guarantee you one thing. If you do that kind of time working 12's; then I'm afraid, my friend, you will be 6 feet under before your time. Funny you mention the life expectancy because most studies are based on 8 hour shifts.
    they're already killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumped
    So you're one of those guys that's afraid to go to in service

we work our long shifts and supplement our income with details, overtime etc. what do you really expect. when we are young we think its all okay because we're invincible. then 20 yrs. in we are spent. too late my brothers and sisters, too late.

I looked at myself in the mirror one morning 7 &1/2 years ago and said to myself . . . .

"Self, I don't want to do this anymore!".

I had my secretary fill out my 'Retire to FRS' paperwork, turned it and all my crap in and was out the door by 11AM that day!

Now I wake up when the sun shines, do whatever the heck I feel like doing, and I answer to NO ONE! (Okay, maybe the wife . . ) I feel like a little kid on Saturday, every day. I go fishing, ride my bike, or my Harley and whatever else I feel like doing. It's good!

Don't work yourself into the grave to retire with just a few more bucks. You would be surprised how much less you really need once you retire. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Captain
    I looked at myself in the mirror one morning 7 &1/2 years ago and said to myself . . . .

"Self, I don't want to do this anymore!".

I had my secretary fill out my 'Retire to FRS' paperwork, turned it and all my crap in and was out the door by 11AM that day!

Now I wake up when the sun shines, do whatever the heck I feel like doing, and I answer to NO ONE! (Okay, maybe the wife . . ) I feel like a little kid on Saturday, every day. I go fishing, ride my bike, or my Harley and whatever else I feel like doing. It's good!

Don't work yourself into the grave to retire with just a few more bucks. You would be surprised how much less you really need once you retire. :wink:
    Hats off to you, Cap.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast