Thinking of making the move

Thinking of making the move

Just wanted to see if anyone could give some info for the Clermont Police Department. Thinking of moving from NJ and have almost 7 years on the job up here... Wanted to see what salary range is like, schedule, etc.. Appreciate any info.

Re: Thinking of making the move

Around $41,500 to start but there is a bump for experience that can get you a few thousand more. They are the highest paid in Lake County. In Florida, there is additional pay on top of both of those if you have taken certain educational courses, have a degree etc... which can get you up to another $1500. You only pay 3% into your pension. Budget just gave them 3 additional officers moving them to 60 sworn and and funded a merit raise for the year. Many other cities didn't get either due to budgets, but they are growing. They work 12 hour shifts on a two week cycle. First week you only get two days off (Wednesday and Thursday) and the second week you only work two days (Wednesday and Thursday). Repeat the cycle. That gives you off Fri, Sat and Sun every other week. Very good department.

Thanks for the input. Big pay cut coming from NJ making 90k lol but with the high cost of living and high pension payments I bet it equals out.. Do they have take home cars? Any mandate about living in the city?

for specialized units yes - negotiating for everyone should be done within a year. no city requirement but not sure yet exactly what limits may be imposed for take homes. yes tax rate is lowest in lake county and houses are much cheaper. still may be a hit but many have moved down and survived. pretty much all of central florida is around same price. North florida pays less and south florida pays the highest but is also the most expensive to live.

Quote Originally Posted by reply
    for specialized units yes - negotiating for everyone should be done within a year. no city requirement but not sure yet exactly what limits may be imposed for take homes. yes tax rate is lowest in lake county and houses are much cheaper. still may be a hit but many have moved down and survived. pretty much all of central florida is around same price. North florida pays less and south florida pays the highest but is also the most expensive to live.
    Go look at the bigger cities, they pay more when you're maxed out as well as in overall pensions. 3% of dooky pay with 25 years vs a little more your paying in but less overall time required until you retire and you max at a much higher rate (I.E. Tampa, Orlando, etc.)

Clermont 3% is only for 20 years not 25 as you state and no age required at the 20 years like many others are going too. Orlando starts @ 41,978 basically the same and can contribute up to 13% into their pension. Yes they do have a 70% return after 20 but as with many things there are various pros and cons and it will depend on age, service and various factors as to what is best for individual. Bigger may be but is not always better.

Nice try showing the somewhat same starting salaries but you're only in your first year once at that salary scale my friend. In Tampa you top out in 11 years at $75,358 with a raise every year for 11 years. Although the pension contributions can vary due to the plan from 4.5% (seldom seen) to the current rate of 11%. In Orlando you get a raise every year for ten years and top out at $71,117, however they do not have a varying contribution percentage (as the other poster was incorrect) and according to their pension website they pay in 8.47 percent of their salary.

Clermont is not a bad place to work and play, I have family who love it although their PD has had recent struggles in the last few years. Winter Garden is also a very nice area to live in and they have a decent PD also, their starting salary I believe is the highest around but again, does it matter what you start at for one year or what you consistently make year after year, especially your last top three for your retirement. If I had it to do over I would've went to a larger city instead of the state. We have it rough man but I am almost out of here with 28 years and I am under 50. Good luck to you in whatever you choose.