looking to join auxiliary

looking to join auxiliary

Who would I contact to join auxiliary? I have experience with patrol, investigations, and supervision. I would really like go just patrol and help out anywhere I can. Thanks

Re: looking to join auxiliary

What is the process?
    Is there an academy or what type of training?
    Does it matter if my certification is still active?

Thanks

To contact a recruiter, go to www.fhpa.info then click on the "About" tab, then the "Join the FHPA" drop box. The site is very helpful and contains a lot of information about the Auxiliary, its selection process, training requirements, etc.
    The selection process for the Auxiliary is identical to the hiring process for the regular Highway Patrol. The process is explained in detail on the site, on the "Selection Process" drop box. If you currently hold an active auxiliary or full-time certification from FDLE then you will only have to pass FHP-specific high liability training.

Before you put yourself through the ordeal of applying to FHPA go talk to the Sheriff's office or Police department in your county. They will treat you like an adult, you will do more, and you won't be a member of a dying organization. If you have as much experience as you say, you will get bored working traffic crashes and running radar. Face the facts FHP does little investigating.

left for an agency that actually values their officers

Quote Originally Posted by not an a-man
    Before you put yourself through the ordeal of applying to FHPA go talk to the Sheriff's office or Police department in your county. They will treat you like an adult, you will do more, and you won't be a member of a dying organization. If you have as much experience as you say, you will get bored working traffic crashes and running radar. Face the facts FHP does little investigating.

left for an agency that actually values their officers
    I am an a-man and I must say that everything the above poster wrote is... true. I would highly recommend that any interested candidate (especially one with full certification) look into an SO or PD reserve program. This agency does not value its officers----not its full time and especially not its auxiliary. The above poster hit the nail right on the head......FHP does not treat its auxiliary officers like adults. Indeed, the way the aux is talked to is often sickeningly condescending.

Auxiliary trained (oxi-moron) troopers...

Your opinion founded on experience, research and law could use a bit more research. Check the current CJSTC requirements for auxiliary officers. Those don't just apply to the FHPA, they are statewide standards. Granted, those trained under these newer standards are in the minority but any new people will have to meet those standards. As for the law, state statutes give auxiliary officers quite a bit of leeway. Most of the restrictions come from agency policy rather than the law.
    I think the FHPA is a tremendous asset to the state in general and the patrol in particular. It is also a resource that is under appreciated and under utilized. I think the problems in the auxiliary and the FHP both stem from leadership. This is not just a problem with the patrol but with all state agencies. There is a siege mentality where is is more important to protect your job than to actually do your job. No one is willing to step out with a bold move. CYA is the primary rule to live by. It didn't get this way overnight and it won't change overnight. Leaders who can't afford to make any mistake are going to be very cautious. If you can't make any mistakes, then you can't learn from them.

Re: FHPA outlook for the future

Postby Not Sworn » 01/29/13 19:41:30

Guest wrote:

Auxiliary trained (oxi-moron) troopers...

Your opinion founded on experience, research and law could use a bit more research. Check the current CJSTC requirements for auxiliary officers. Those don't just apply to the FHPA, they are statewide standards. Granted, those trained under these newer standards are in the minority but any new people will have to meet those standards. As for the law, state statutes give auxiliary officers quite a bit of leeway. Most of the restrictions come from agency policy rather than the law.
    I think the FHPA is a tremendous asset to the state in general and the patrol in particular. It is also a resource that is under appreciated and under utilized. I think the problems in the auxiliary and the FHP both stem from leadership. This is not just a problem with the patrol but with all state agencies. There is a siege mentality where is is more important to protect your job than to actually do your job. No one is willing to step out with a bold move. CYA is the primary rule to live by. It didn't get this way overnight and it won't change overnight. Leaders who can't afford to make any mistake are going to be very cautious. If you can't make any mistakes, then you can't learn from them.

Well said.

The fact remains that even with the "New and Improved" requirements, the A-men still only attend 45-50% of the hours of a real full-time academy. They also lack a certification exam and a real or meaningful FTO program. (riding in the right seat is not the same as being in a formal FTO program)

The CJSTC standards for the auxiliary training are, and have always been watered down in an effort to allow people to get through it with minimal effort. All this so they'll be able to volunteer. It is all very noble. It serves a purpose. I'm confident that the A-men have on many occasions, by merely being present, have deterred some bad-guy from hurting someone. Again that is the mission, is it not? Serve, protect, hug the trees, and kiss the babies? Change a flat tire occasionally. Get a half off grand-slam at Denny's every once in a while. 8)

So, how can we compare a trooper who goes to an academy for 750 hours, then takes a state exam that he must pass, then follows it up with an FTO program of another 400-500 actual, hands on hours; to that of an A-men? YOU CAN'T. Not if you are honest with yourself. The most dangerous part about this job is often the person you work with. We should all hope and pray that we each can recognize our limitations. That is to say, to "Know what we don't know". Again, this is often clouded when you have a person with some "Honorary" rank affixed to the uniform. After all, how can a chief or captain or Lt be wrong? :snicker: When is the last time you saw one of the "Experienced" A-men expose their gun side to a bad guy? More importantly, did anyone correct the action? :?

It would make more sense if we were talking about fully certified guys that retired or something along those lines. However, in the case of FHPA, many of the auxiliary members are essentially experiencing LEO work for the 1st time in their lives.

There is no acceptable excuse for substandard training. There is no substitute for real experience. Repetitions and practice matter. So, no way that a guy with less training, experience or lack of daily reps is equal to a real trooper. Add to that the fact that many of the members are aged. The mind and body are not as nimble. Often the mind writes checks that the body can't cash. Just a fact of getting older. We all hope to be there. Getting old beats the hell out of the alternative.

So how many people would want to have a doctor that only completed 50% of medical school operating them? (say your prayers)
    How about having a lawyer that never had to sit for the bar exam defending you in a capital case? (careful picking up that soap)
    How about having a teacher that never attended the last two years of college. Never had to take or pass the requirements to become a real teacher, teaching your kids?
    What about an accountant representing you in front of the IRS, who never too the test to become a CPA?

I feel that all current A-men should have to take some type of state exam. It could add credibility to the people, the program and the patrol. Instead, the "Management" would rather hide behind words like "Sworn" and "Certified" when in actuality, we know the real deal.

Again, if we put all the egos aside, the role of a volunteer LEO is great. It is however one that must be tempered, trained and dare I say tested for competency? :roll:

All of my comments are intended to open minds. To make you think. Don't take it as an attack. I too wear a badge and carry a gun. So, yes, I've been there and done that.

Stay safe brothers and sisters.

Old Guy, if you want join the FHPA vet them extensively. The few who venture to post are not embellishing the facts. Do your research. Read:
    viewtopic.php?f=692&t=145533&start=15