Follow this ! - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow this !

Re: Follow this !

I hope we are kept informed. This is getting interesting.

Here is what happens when a bid is placed on a losing and nasty breath horse. Their asses got kicked, and their wounds are still bleeding.

UPDATED STORY: Schuler, Sutherland re-elected handily

Marc Valero | Highlands Today
    Published: November 6, 2013 | Updated: November 6, 2013 at 04:31 PM

AVON PARK - Mayor Sharon Schuler and City Councilman Parke Sutherland handily won re-election Tuesday as most voters chose to stay the course over making any changes on the city council.

Schuler, with 520 votes (61.8 percent), defeated Greg "Bubba" Warner, who garnered 322 votes (38.2 percent).

Sutherland defeated Jonathan Remick by a vote count of 529-311 (63.0 percent to 37.0 percent).

Schuler was reelected to her third term as mayor and Sutherland was reelected to his second term on the city council. The mayor and council members serve three-year terms.

Schuler said Wednesday that she and Sutherland ran on the facts of the accomplishments of the city for the past three years and they want to continue with business as usual.

"I really appreciate the citizens out there. I think they supported Parke and I," she said. "I think they are happy with what the city has accomplished."

She and the city council will continue to work toward cutting costs for the city's citizens and keep moving forward, Schuler said. "We can't go backwards."

Sutherland said Wednesday: "The City of Avon Park won two elections last night. I didn't particularly win nor did Sharon. We ran on our record of improvements to the city and the citizens spoke and they want that continued direction of improvement."

The councilman chuckled that he was tired after spending 3 1/2 hours Tuesday night picking up his and Schuler's campaign signs.

The results were known soon after the polls closed at 7 p.m., with the Supervisor of Elections Office releasing the early and absentee votes to the media at 7:13 p.m. and then the total vote, including the four city precincts, at 7:24 p.m.

Deputy Mayor Brenda Giles served on the election canvassing board.

"Yes, we won; we won all away around," she said, while phoning the results to city Administrative Services Director Maria Sutherland, who is Parke Sutherland's wife.

"I hope that we can all get back together for the betterment of the city," Giles told Highlands Today.

A total of 844 ballots were cast for a voter turnout of 19 percent, including 152 early voting and 92 absentee ballots.

Voters also approved the city's amended city charter by a vote of 526-272.

mvalero@highlandstoday.com
    - See more at: http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-news ... h2xoZ.dpuf

http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-n...ssed-20131218/

http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-news ... -20131218/

Deleon said the cost of the arbitrator was $5,800 and according to the collective bargaining agreement, the AFSCME is responsible for paying, not city taxpayers.

Deleon said he was confident about the results of the complaints. "As an organization, we have dealt with a number of baseless complaints. As these cases have moved forward, we have prevailed on every instance"

Fat man has heard that things will be heating up soon. You need to stay tune as the battle of the titants continues. Here is another loser paying the City.

Avon Park city manager seeks to recoup attorneys fees
    BY PAUL CATALAHighlands
    Today Published: January 12, 2014 AVON PARK -

After having the complaint against him twice dismissed, a hearing has been set to decide whether Avon Park City Manager Julian Deleon can recoup attorneys fees in his defense against alleged ethics violations. Florida's Division of Administrative Hearings in Tallahassee has set 9 a.m., March 11 to 13 in the Avon Park City Council Chambers for the hearing. During that time, an administrative law judge will decide whether Deleon will get back the approximately $8,000 Deleon paid Tallahassee attorneys Albert Gimbel and Mark Herron to defend him. Sept. 23, the city council voted to pay for Deleon's legal fees in defense of Councilman Garrett Anderson's ethics violation claims, However, since the complaints were dropped, Anderson, who brought up the allegations, could be responsible for repaying Deleon. Anderson originally filed the complaint with State of Florida Commission on Ethics March - See more at:

http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-news ... RPSyH.dpuf

Here is your cookie right out of the ove. You read it here first. I wonder if that city will go after attorney's fees and personal liens.

Another request for jury trial in Rowan case submitted -

See more at: http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-news ... bTtJF.dpuf

Who r u guys so against the LT? I want serious answers

We are the ones that will make you famous. This show belongs to the fat man, and he will ask the questions. Got that?

Two EEOC cases against AP dismissed
    Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:00 am

By PHIL ATTINGER Staff Writer
    AVON PARK — Two federal cases against Avon Park have been dismissed.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission was unable to conclude that discrimination had occurred in cases filed by former city employees Sally Perry and Gloria Shrum.

The two women still have the right to sue the city in state or federal court, according to the EEOC ruling. However, they already had cases in federal court that have been dismissed.

Both Perry and Schrum were officers in the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Local 3597, and have alleged that layoffs that dropped the city’s workforce from 103 full-time employees to 50 people targeted union members.

However, an arbitrator ruled against that complaint.

One of the cases the city is still facing is Michael A. Rowan v. City of Avon Park. Rowan, who was on contract as city police chief, was suspended without pay by City Manager Julian Deleon on June 13, 2011, after Rowan and the city could not come to terms on a separation agreement.

His dismissal followed his investigation of city council members, including Mayor Sharon Schuler and Deputy Mayor Brenda Giles, on citizen complaints of corruption and Sunshine Law violations.

A major issue in the case is whether Rowan was put on administrative leave, then suspended, then fired in response to his investigation.

Rowan states that he is protected as a whistleblower under Florida law and is asking the court to order the city to reinstate him, to state there is no basis for suspension without pay and to have the city pay back pay, damages and attorney’s fees.

No ruling has been made in his case.

Perry’s case dates back to July 27, 2012, from an inspection of two vehicles Perry used in her job with the city. She alleged that her supervisor, Jimmy Runner, and coworker Brenda Sliva overstepped their authority by looking in the glove compartment, behind and under seats and inside her handbag.

Perry, a 15-year-employee, named Runner, Sliva and Jason Lister, of the Avon Park Police, as defendants. Allegedly Lister told her at the time of the search that she had no rights in the matter.

She told the News-Sun at that time that everything inside her handbag was scrutinized, that she was deprived Constitutional rights and that the city failed to protect those rights.

The court dismissed claims against Sliva, Lister, Runner and City Manager Julian Deleon on Jan. 22, 2013, and ruled against Perry on Sept. 3, stating that the city’s personnel policy allowed city officials to search her handbag.

That policy states that anything brought onto city property is subject to inspection, including personal equipment, clothing, property and belongings — even trunks and lunch bags.

The case was dismissed on Oct. 30, 2013, and the city sought to have legal fees paid by Perry.

However, the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, ruled in January against the city’s request for $53,670 in legal fees, dropping that bill to $4,981.96, on the basis that the city’s legal team would have to have shown Perry’s claim was frivolous and that she had continued with the lawsuit after that became obvious.

Although Perry sued more than just the people directly involved, the court did not consider that frivolous. The court said other defendants had some connection to the search, either in a supervisory or employer role, and were spared further trial expenses by having their cases thrown out.

Defendants who actually did participate in the search were found to be immune to lawsuit since they were carrying out an established city policy, the court said.

Will the Lt win or lose? This will be the year to make or break. The City wins again another $12K is due. Stay tune, its decision time, pedal to the metal.

Deleon, Anderson settle dispute

AVON PARK -A hearing had been set to decide whether Deleon could recoup attorney's fees in his defense against alleged ethics violations.

After having the complaint against him twice dismissed, the case was set to go before Florida's Division of Administrative Hearings this week in the Avon Park City Council Chambers.

However, settlement between Deleon, Anderson and their attorneys, Albert Gimbel and Bernard Dempsey, was reached in February.

Anderson will pay the City of Avon Park $12,683.58 to reimburse for Deleon's attorneys' fees. The agreement stipulates the money be paid "in one lump sum by March 31, 2014."

The settlement specifies Anderson must "refrain from alleging that Deleon is or has engaged in any illegal or unethical activity unless the statement has been verified as true in advance."

Anderson originally filed the complaint with the State of Florida Commission on Ethics March 8, 2013, alleging after his election to city council, Deleon threatened him, saying if he interfered with Deleon's personal business that "he would cause serious ramifications for my personal business," Anderson wrote in a March 7 letter to the commission, referring to his ammunition manufacturing company, Anderson Arms.

Feb. 10, the Avon Park City Council voted unanimously to reject a 50 percent settlement offer by Anderson which stemmed from a complaint against Deleon in January 2013 stating Deleon threatened him, saying if he interfered with Deleon's personal business that "he would cause serious ramifications for my personal business," Anderson wrote in a March 7 letter to the commission, referring to Anderson Arms.

Deleon said Tuesday he was glad city council had rejected Anderson's initial offer. "We held out; we were ready for court, but Anderson opted to paying 100 percent of our legal fees. My position regarding the basis for his complaint has not changed any," he said. "I am professionally ready to move forward, although based on last night's interactions, it appears that some individuals are not. That's too bad."

Anderson said Tuesday the settlement was the "best thing to do for the city." He said there was no need to drag an issue between himself and Deleon and get taxpayers involved and said he had spent about the same amount to pay his attorney fees.

"It was a simple issue between me and him, but yet he gets backed by the city," he said. "It's been dragging on for way too long. I want to do what's better for the city and hopefully just get back to work."

- See more at: http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-news ... x9Hdp.dpuf

Trial for former police chief could be held by January

AVON PARK – The case involving the City of Avon Park against former Avon Park Police Chief Michael Rowen has taken another step closer to going to jury trial. In addition, another judge in the case has been recused, to declare that the judge should not try a case or is disqualified to act, the second since the case was first filed. Following a May 12 Case Management Conference involving the council and litigants, Judge Robert Fegers of the Tenth Judicial Circuit Court ordered a trial date be taken “under advisement” before the actual trial date be assigned. Former Avon Park Police Chief Michael Rowan filed suit against the city of Avon Park June 16, 2011, after he was suspended with pay by Avon Park City Manager Julian Deleon. His pay was stopped in June 2011 after it was found Rowan had investigated the mayor, deputy mayor, city project manager and a councilman for alleged illegal activities. These activities, according to a Sept. 6, 2011 letter from City Manager Julian Deleon, included “insubordination or the refusal to perform work assigned, or to comply with written or verbal instructions of a Supervisor; threatening, intimidating, coercing, or interfering with fellow employees or supervision at any time; on or off the job conduct which adversely affects the ability of the employee to perform his duties and/or adversely affects the efficient operation of the City government or any department or area of City government; and division, or area of City government; discourteous, insulting, abusive, or inflammatory language or conduct toward the public or coworkers.” When a trial date is “taken under advisement,” it means the judge is going to consider the matter, read the legal briefs filed by the parties, have a clerk do some research on the legal issues and then eventually come to a ruling: it is a formal way of the judge saying he’ll get back to the parties. In addition, Judge Peter Estrada was recused from hearing the case Feb. 12 after Rowan and the City requested the Tenth Judicial Circuit Court disqualify him from presiding due to “substantial relationships” with “numerous anticipated witnesses. Estrada told the parties he saw the trial witness list, which included State Attorney Jerry Hill, Assistant State Attorney Steve Houchin, Highlands County Sheriff Susan Benton and Avon Park Council members Terry Heston and Parke Sutherland. The case was reassigned by Chief Circuit Judge Bruce Smith to County Court Judge Robert Fegers and finally to Jeffrey McKibben, a county judge for the Hardee County Court of Florida. Once set, the trial would be held in Sebring. In a May 12 order, Fegers mandated all “discovery” - the pretrial phase in a lawsuit when each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain evidence from the opposing party - and pretrial motions be completed by Dec. 15. Highlands County Clerk of Courts Bob Germaine said if the case goes to jury trial, it would probably take place at the latest in Feb. 2015 but as soon as the beginning of Jan. 2015, depending on McKibben’s docket and schedule, Rowan’s Lakeland-based attorney Robert Grizzard II, speculated late January or February for the trial’s start date and the change of judge shouldn’t affect the proceedings after discovery is closed. “I’m eager to move forward and I’m certain so is Mike Rowan. I’m hoping we’re heading to closure,” he said Thursday. Deleon, who suspended Rowan with pay by April 19, 2011, said despite the length of the case - over three years - a conclusion is in sight. He said even if it goes on another six months, he is “standing ready.” “I am standing committed and I regularly check with our lawyers to ensure that we are doing everything possible to get to court,” Deleon wrote in an email. “I really like our arguments; I think we have very strong arguments. I think that our track record speaks for itself. We have not lost anything. I regularly check with our lawyers to ensure that we are doing everything possible to get to court. I am not in favor of settling (any) of these employment related cases. I am of the opinion that any type of settlement encourages more of the same.” pcatala@highlandstoday.com (863) 385-6866

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast