New Uniforms! Outer Load Bearing Vests
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Uniforms! Outer Load Bearing Vests

Has the uniform committee decided on allowing road patrol to have the outer load bearing vest on display at SPG that some of the districts are testing??

The moisture wicking polo + bdu's + zip up load bearing vest is real sharp and extremely functional, comfortable, and practical.

I would buy my own if it was "optional" - but right now I understand the brass is giving some resistance to the idea.

Re: New Uniforms! Outer Load Bearing Vests

Ya' think!
    The problem is public perception, genius. You clowns are already a bunch of badge-heavy idiots who abuse your authority.
    Gee, lets see if we can really drive home our beloved Po-leese image, we'll dress every one of our idiots in para-military looking crap so that the public image cannot be mistaken for the Jack-Boot Thugs that they really are.
    What a freakin' joke...

I like that "tactical" look so hopefully we will get the load bearing vests approved soon.

The administration has decided on the vest. The pants look the same except have a zip pocket. Ask one of the uniform committee guys. There wearing them now.

Delray is already looking to go back to a traditional uniform because the tactical vests are too intimidating

None of the uniforms being considered by PBSO are "tactical" looking in any way, shape or form. There is no load bearing "tactical" vest being considered. As a matter of fact most of the uniforms being tested are made out of the exact same polyester material that the current uniform is made of. The only difference is that the vest, which is made to look exactly like a uniform shirt with regular pockets, name tag and badge is worn over the uniform shirt. The pants have a few extra pockets. None of them look like Boynton's, Delray's or Boca's "tactical" uniforms.

I have spoken with a few of the individuals who are testing the uniforms and it seems that most of the feedback is negative. Due to the fact that a certain Captain is involved and true to his dictator style of management, he shot down several of the uniforms that were originally submitted from several of the manufactures before they could even be evaluated, most notably 5.11.

Unfortunately the end result will most likely be a uniform that is no better than the current uniform. The biggest issue is the material. This is South Florida where the heat and humidity are high. Polyester does not breath. If the material stays the same then it is pointless to change. An exterior vest is a huge plus because it allows the heat to escape from under the vest panels because it is not trapped under the shirt and it gives the wearer the ability to ventilate the heat by removing the vest once back in the car without completely disrobing. But if it is laying over a polyester shirt then it is almost pointless.

Without a doubt PBSO's 1970's era uniforms need to be updated. I saw a post above from some idiot who hates cops talking about para-military uniforms and looking like jack-booted thugs, etc. etc. And while he is a total jackass, I hate to say it but to some degree I agree with his statement. Police officers should not look like the military, because we are not. We should look like police officers (deputies) but our uniforms should be functional as well. If you want to look like a soldier or be a soldier then join the military.

There are many options that could meet the needs of the agency and be more comfortable for the deputy and still present a proper image to the public, to include an outer vest. Whether the department and the powers to be will allow that to take place is anybody's guess, but given the uniforms that the committee is being allowed to consider now it seems doubtful....and that is a shame.

Which captain?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Which captain?
    Starts with a "B" in Dist. 3

I had heard that the prospect of the outer load bearing vest (similar to the Bike Unit uniform) was still being considered.

However, if they are now considering that god awful outer uniform shirt vest....they shouldn't waste their time. That thing is a piece of garbage and serves no benefit over the traditional uniform.

Are you certain that the load bearing uniform got shot down?

To the poster talking about paramilitary uniforms and jack booted thugs, etc. You are obviously a cop hating bigot.

First of all, police are not the military, however, we are PARAMILITARY. From our training and academy, all the way through our job duties, we are paramilitary in nature, but NOT military, got it?

That being said, what is so intimidating about wearing the contents of your gun belt on your vest? You are literally raising your gear approximately 6-8 inches higher. How is that more intimidating?

Everything else remains the same, even the green color. The only difference is that the vest is visible, and your gear is higher. There is NOTHING military about that.

No police strolling the streets with rifles, interceptor armor, and APC's.

We're talking about transferring weight from our hips and back to our torso with a proper load bearing vest.

P.S. Delray PD, Boynton PD, and Boca PD are NOT considering changing their uniform. They have nothing but positive feedback from the troops, and good citizens don't really notice much of a difference.

The only people who have a problem with the modern uniform are criminals or cop haters. That's literally it.

you know they spend all this money in the wrong places. What about benefits,raises or guys that get nothing when they retire,the brass don t care they get benefits when they retire and get taken care of. Oh I know become one of them, sure just screw up and you ll get there or know the right guy. Take the test ,that s another farse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast