Employment at CCSO
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

Employment at CCSO

I created a new thread relating to current employment opportunities at CCSO. I have also make this post an "Announcement" so it will remain at the top of our board and easy to find for those interested in CCSO employment.

If you have any questions or can provide factual information related to this topic, your participation within this thread is greatly appreciated.

This really is a great place to live and work!!

Good luck to all of those who apply with our agency,

Mod 167

Re: Employment at CCSO

Thanks for making the forum because the response I received from the last one was totally left field. Like I said I finished my whole process on the 17th and was told by HR dept when I called they were putting my folder together. I also applied for the certified jail deputy and I just wanted a straight answer as to some helpful insight on what I can expect to happen next or how long before they contact me. I am so anxious

Hi I am going to my interview and I would like to know what can I expect? This is for a Jail deputy position

Mine was pretty quick. They were asking the basic questions and making eye contact. It was 3 people 2 from HR and 1 sgt. Just try to relax and do your best. Mine was only 15 so it was pretty quick. They get right to the point! Are you already certified?

Quote Originally Posted by football2013
    Hi I am going to my interview and I would like to know what can I expect? This is for a Jail deputy position
    I am going for my polygraph on the 19th any advice anyone????

I am going for my polygraph on the 19th, any advice? also, how do they conduct the 1/2 mile run, sit ups, and push ups? any advice would be greatly appreciated

What other tests ate you scheduled for?? Taken?? What position? Go to the fhp website to get an idea of the agility test. Its not the half mile with pushups and situps... The polygraph is not peasant just be honest and stick to what you have on your background packet. Its at least 2 hours long.. Let me know how it goes. Update frequently.. I have taken everthing except the psych which is on the 18.. Good luck and wish me luck!!

Are*

Pleasant*

I had a hard time finding information on the hiring process when I was going through it. So I figure I will try to help some other people out by posting some basic information. I know that a lot of their hiring for this term is already done but I know they are still looking and have some positions available so hopefully I can help someone.

So I found out they were hiring and I thought it would be a great job that I would really like. I had no experience and nothing that really made me stand out. I met the minimum requirements. And when I say minimum requirements, I mean literally, the minimum. Age, education, ect. I will be honest in saying that I did not think I would get very far but it turns out I did. Note: I applied for corrections.

I filled out their initial application. It was very straightforward but required a lot of information. I was as honest I possibly could be on it. I did need to change something later but that was not a problem and they let me. So don't worry if you forget something, they will give you ample opportunity to add it later on. The application can be seen for yourself so I will leave it alone. But I tried to keep it very professional and I put some effort into it.

It wasn't too long after submitting my application that I got a letter in the mail telling me that I needed to go to the Southwest Florida Public Service Academy and schedule a testing date for the CJBAT test. I needed to do this in person and the cost was $50. I also needed to contact the HR department at CCSO and tell them when my testing date was so that they knew I was still interested.

I show up on test day (you have to wear business casual attire) and I had to take the test online. It was very simple and straightforward too. They ask you some memory questions. They will give you a picture of some random event or situation and show it to you for like a minute. Then they ask you some questions about it and you have to remember what was in the picture. That was not too hard. Then they ask you some "what would you do" questions. Don't expect to know too many of these as most of them have to do with correctional procedure. An example would be "If office policy requires you to address serious injuries before addressing other injuries, what would you do in this situation: Two inmates and a CO are hurt in a conflict. Inmate A has a head injury, inmate B has a back injury, and the CO has a scrape on his knee. In what order should you assist these individuals?" I used common sense it turned out okay. The hard part of the test was the mapping. They would give you a map with random streets and stuff on it and ask tell you scenarios. "You are at the sheriff's office at Main St. and Front st. You need to get to the jail which is located at First St. and Second St. What route would you take with shortest distance possible?" You have to be able to look at the map and analyze all that stuff. It got tricky and it got harder as you went along. Everything is multiple choice by the way. You have plenty of time to take the test. Anyway I passed and did fairly well on it.

I had to send a copy of my score to the CCSO HR department. It was a little while and then I got a letter in the mail telling me that I needed to contact the HR department and schedule an interview date. I called them and they had plenty of spots open. I scheduled the first date I could. It was a (I think it is called) board interview. There was an HR representative and two uniformed officials. I think one was possibly a corrections official and the other I know was a background investigator. They were all very nice ladies. Again, I wore business casual attire but it seems like a lot of people wear more formal attire than that. But I do not think that mattered. They asked me some questions about my background (job history, where I grew up, education, ect.) and then gave me some scenario questions. An example question is "An inmate is complaining that he did not get his commissaries in a timely fashion. What would you do after receiving this complaint?" Again, I had no idea how this situation should be handled but I used common sense and again, it must have turned out okay.

It was quite a long time before I heard back from them. At that point I thought I had not gotten the job. I was actually getting ready to explore other job opportunities but I got a call for an HR rep and she scheduled me for my psychological evaluation, polygraph, physical, and fitness test.

I had to show up at the HR department first and I signed a conditional offer. The offer said that if I pass the testing I will be eligible for a job. It is my understanding that they have to give you a conditional offer in order to put you through all this testing. And the contract looks like they are under no requirement to hire you if you pass the testing. But common sense says that they will not kick you out of the running if you pass the tests. These are expensive tests so they probably want you as an employee at this point. that is my assumption. I got some more information including a map that told me where all my other testing was going to be and when the appointments are.

On the polygraph, you show up and they take your fingerprints and your picture. They send you to a background investigator first and she asks some basic information and wants to know things like your Facebook and social networking accounts. She was a very, very, very, nice lady and definitely knew her job very well. After she gets your information she takes you to the polygraph examiner. He was a nice guy too. He was pretty relaxed but a serious guy nonetheless. I liked him. He sits there and first asks you if you had done any research on polygraphs before coming. I told him yes and he asked what I had learned. I hadn't learned much so I didn't have much to tell him. They are really down on websites like antipolygraph.org and I can see why. But then he started explaining the procedure and how the polygraph works. Very simple stuff. However, he could not stress enough that you needed to be honest. I had a couple things I was worried about but I had disclosed them on my application. He looked at them and right then said "well, these are not going to disqualify you. So no need to worry about these." That was a weight off my shoulders. But honestly, I realized that being honest with these guys is the best way to go. He said himself that there is very little you can say to him that would surprise him. He told me some stories about people and honestly, I looked like a choir boy compared to them. So just be upfront and honest and it won't be a problem. He went on to ask me a lot of questions. I mean a lot of questions. This is the time to disclose EVERYTHING you can. I told him some stuff and it did not apply but he seemed really happy that I was giving him all the information I could. He said these things can pop up later on the actual test and it is best that he has them now and can take them into account. Most of the questions were fairly detailed "have you raped somebody or murdered somebody." And yes, the dreaded beastiality question was asked. But then he gave me a break and let me go to the bathroom and get something to drink. He came back and we started the actual test. He put me in the big chair and had me sit on some pad that picked up sweat and movement (so I needed to sit still). One strap around my chest for breathing and one around my stomach for something else. Then he put a finger cuff on me and a blood pressure cuff. He sat to my right at his computer. I had to look straight ahead. All my answers had to be yes or no. He told a couple of questions that he wanted me to answer yes or no to no matter what the real answer is. I guess these were base questions or something. He then went through the three separate categories of questions he asked me originally but they were not the direct questions. They were more like "have you lied about anything on this application" kind of questions. After the three categories he got up and took the stuff off me and said I had passed and that he had no doubts I was telling the truth. I shook his hand and left.

On the psych evaluation, I had to go to some psychologist's office. There was one other applicant there for his psycho evaluation as well. The assistant gave us a very long questionnaire. It asked basic things like "have you ever cheated on an exam" or "do you sometimes feel angry." The repeat questions over and over again. So be prepared. They are trying to catch you in a lie. Again, just be honest and it won't be a problem. I had to leave and come back in an hour (I got lunch) and then I talked with the psychologist about my answers. She wanted to clarify some things and ask me more information about others. She wasn't the friendliest woman in the world but I think she was just a quiet person. She was nice nonetheless. It was a short session and then she sent you on your way.

On the physical exam, I had to show up to a doctor's office and fill out the usual medical forms. I got called back and they gave weighed me, gave me an eye test, and asked how tall I was. Then I got my TB shot. She took my blood pressure and then drew three tubes of blood for a full blood panel. I had to take my shirt off and get an EKG which was pretty quick. Then I went back to get an X-ray of my back (the x-ray tech is a western european guy and pretty funny. Hard to understand at times) which he showed me that it was perfectly fine. I went back to my room and waited for the doctor. She hit my knees with the hammer checked my eyes and ears and nose. Checked my spine by having me bend over and come up slowly. The usual stuff. Then I got my drug test. They gave me a cup and told me to fill up to a certain line. I went over the line but they said that was good. And then they told me I had to come back in two days to get my TB test read. I came back in two days and no waiting the nurse just checked real quick and I was good.

I had to go the fitness test a week later and it turned out to be pretty easy. Keep in mind I do not consider myself super athletic but I do workout and try to take semi-decent care of myself. Now that they have invested in my like this I will be working out much harder. I want them to get a positive return on their investment in me. Anyway, I show up early and they were finishing up the first "class" of people. I signed in and waited for everyone else in my class to show up. They walked me through the instructions (same background investigator as in the board interview). Instructions are as follows:

1. Put on a flag football belt and start in a cop car with seatbelt on and hands on the wheel. She says start and you take the seatbelt off and grab a key in the glove box. Get out of the car and put your hands behind your back and walk to the back of the car. You have to take the belt off and unlock the trunk. Take out a flashlight and empty revolver.

2. Set the revolver on a chair stool and run (100 yards maybe?) to the end of the field and run back.

3. Hop over a small wall and over three different pieces of pipe. Run in and out of some cones and crawl under some more pieces of pipe (lookout big guys). Get up and drag a 150lb sled approximately 10-15 yrds. crawl back under the pipes, go back through the cones, over the pieces of pipe, and over the wall.

4. Run back down the 100 yards and come back to the stool. Pick up the revolver and shoot 6 shots in each hand (empty).

5. Put the flashlight and revolver back in the trunk of the car and lock it. Get in the car, put the key back, put on your seatbelt and time stops when you put both hands on the steering wheel.

You get 6:03 seconds (I think) to complete the course. I did it in 4 minutes pacing myself. One guy did in in like 2 minutes flat. So it isn't "easy" persay but fair overall and not too difficult if you are capable of doing the necessary tasks of a CO.

Once all of that is in you wait for a call from HR and you will figure out your start date. Mine is very soon so I am very excited. Wish me luck. My academy starts a few weeks after my job start date. I will update this after my orientation and I get through the academy. Hopefully I helped someone out with all of this.

I have heard great things about CCSO and I think the application process was very fair. I cannot wait to start work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast