Sheriff Tom Knight insults SPD: Knight suffers from anxiety

Sheriff Tom Knight insults SPD: Knight suffers from anxiety

(left) Chief Bernadette Dipino and (right) Sheriff Tom Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Williams
    Sheriff Tom Knight offered an assessment of the city's police force and its administration.

It was blistering.

Sheriff Knight told the County Commission that the Sarasota Police are not keeping the city safe, forcing him to deploy deputies to battle violent crime in the city.

“If I've got to put resources in the city, I'll just go ahead and take it and be done with it,” Knight said. “I'll take the area. We'll get rid of the crime problems.”

“I've never said this publicly: I can assure you that I rescued the city of Sarasota,” Knight told commissioners.

Knight said that the sheriff's office deserves all the credit for the city's reduction in crime, along with the other municipalities reductions in crime.

“Crime reductions in these cities are not because of the police, but it's because of the sheriff's office,” Knight told commissioners.

Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino said Knight's comments do not “accurately depict what is going on in Sarasota.” Her officers, she said, are responsible for the drop in city crime -- not Knight.

“I'm not sure how Knight's statements can be justified or proven. I believe Sarasota officers worked hard for the 10 percent reduction in crime,” DiPino said. “I respect the sheriff and want to work with him, but his comments do not accurately depict what's going on, nor do his comments accurately reflect municipal crime-fighting.”

“I'm really not sure the purpose Knight's comments,” she said. “I want to take the high road with the sheriff. I was surprised by his comments.”

At the county commission's workshop, Knight addressed his earlier comments, saying his “anxiety is high.”

“I go home every night worrying,” Knight said.

His spokeswoman, Wendy Rose, said the sheriff stands by his comments, which she said speak for themselves.

City manager Barwin said, “Knight is under stress.”

The PBA...
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... ce-efforts

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=150426&p=1050579#p1050579

Interesting H-T reader comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Martin
    Several dimensions of this story need further watching -- begin with that famous saying, "Follow the money."

Knight is a politician, beginning budget talks with the Commission, his political allies.

Sarasota, on the other hand, has recently elected "the other guys." Add in possible Empire building and also some arrogance, see his recent unilateral withdrawal of school officers in Venice and tangle with the Mayor there.

Union negotiation in the City may be another thread.

Use of fear tactics and no prior discussion with Sarasota Chief makes this smell funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by mngzu
    This article should be titled 'Sarasota Sheriff Bullies Police Chief'.

A bully attempting to gain turf by bulling and degrading. This outdated and ineffective attempt at control should not be tolerated and remembered at the polls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A Ribaudo Sr
    it's all about EGO!
    Quote Originally Posted by mngzu
    The sheriff did not have any tangible data to back up his statements. He was specifically asked and he could not provide ANY tracking of data to back up his statements. The commission should have either told him to come back with data or assisted him in tracking data and then work with, instead of against, the city law enforcement.
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... c=pg&tc=ar
    (scroll to the very bottom to read viewer comments)

Re: Sheriff Tom Knight insults SPD: Knight suffers from anxi

“Sarasota Chief lighting a candle for Trayvon”; what a desperate and transparent act of using a tragedy for personal political gain.
    She is shameless!
    ops:

Quote Originally Posted by Shameless
    “Sarasota Chief lighting a candle for Trayvon”; what a desperate and transparent act of using a tragedy for personal political gain.
    She is shameless!
    ops:

AND incompetent!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Williams
    “I go home every night worrying,” Knight said.
    If Tom Knight were not so argumentative (whenever he feels threatened), then he probably would not have anxiety attacks.

Knight has shown himself to be too argumentative and confrontational.

In north county, Knight openly criticized the SPD chief (and was filmed doing it) instead of meeting with her privately.

When the VPD commissioners asked Knight about why he was not providing many services to south county, Knight retaliated by threatening to close down the VPD jail.

Knight even has SSO sergeants who are suing him in court because of his retaliatory-confrontational tactics against SSO employees.

Everything is a "confrontational threat" to Knight.

He just needs to get laid.