Joining SPPD

Thread: Joining SPPD

Joining SPPD

Hello,

First, I want to say thanks for all you do every day. I've grown up in St. Pete and I have witnessed it turning to garbage over my 17 years of living here. I lived in Tampa the last year and a half and finished up my degree at USF. Living in the ghetto area around USF prompted me to get my CCL which took four months by the way.

Anyway, I am looking to get into the department, hopefully by being sponsored in the cadet program. I have my application pretty much finished minus a few notaries which I'm taking care of.

Any tips for me?

Re: Joining SPPD

And you happen to find and come to a public message board for advice..NOT

TROLL ALERT

Quote Originally Posted by Prospect
    Hello,

First, I want to say thanks for all you do every day. I've grown up in St. Pete and I have witnessed it turning to garbage over my 17 years of living here. I lived in Tampa the last year and a half and finished up my degree at USF. Living in the ghetto area around USF prompted me to get my CCL which took four months by the way.

Anyway, I am looking to get into the department, hopefully by being sponsored in the cadet program. I have my application pretty much finished minus a few notaries which I'm taking care of.

Any tips for me?
    Yeah, get off this board. It's filled with nothing be negativity.

I have heard about the leadership of the department and how it has gone down hill the last 10 years or so. I figure it could be a department to get my foot in and just transfer to TPD or Orlando later on. I don't mind sticking it out in the trenches for a few years for experience. Especially if I can get sponsored and get paid while being in the academy.

If you have any inclinations for the “Alternative Live Style Experience” you should apply with TPD; they will welcome you with open. . .arms.

I have heard about the leadership of the department and how it has gone down hill the last 10 years or so. I figure it could be a department to get my foot in and just transfer to TPD or Orlando later on. I don't mind sticking it out in the trenches for a few years for experience. Especially if I can get sponsored and get paid while being in the academy.
    If this is your mindset, don't apply with St. Pete.

#1, the city does not want to pay $100,000 for someone who is planning on leaving in a few years, like yourself.
    #2, Officers don't want to work with someone who has your mind set of, "well, I am just going to leave in a few years" We have enough problems with lazy officers than having to worry about yet another person who doesn't even want to be here, other than for the sponsorship.

The grass isn't greener on the other side, there are good officers/leaders in every department and bad officers/leaders in the very same department. St Pete has its issues, but not unlike every other major department in this area where reverse race discrimination thrives. Yep, I said it.

You're a total troll...come up with something better

Quote Originally Posted by definitely not
    If this is your mindset, don't apply with St. Pete.

#1, the city does not want to pay $100,000 for someone who is planning on leaving in a few years, like yourself.
    #2, Officers don't want to work with someone who has your mind set of, "well, I am just going to leave in a few years" We have enough problems with lazy officers than having to worry about yet another person who doesn't even want to be here, other than for the sponsorship.

The grass isn't greener on the other side, there are good officers/leaders in every department and bad officers/leaders in the very same department. St Pete has its issues, but not unlike every other major department in this area where reverse race discrimination thrives. Yep, I said it.
    I understand what you're saying. It isn't my intention to leave after two years though that is what it sounded like. That was more of an, 'If I had to..." option. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. My intention is to do my part to make a difference in the city, as minuscule as that sounds. I would definitely want to keep myself in the presence of the good officers. Hope to train with some of them soon. Thanks for the info.

I don't think you understand. If you think you're going to walk into this agency and make a difference, then you are greatly misunderstood. When "The Brass" assists criminals in engaging in corupt, criminal activity, then the only difference you can make is in your paycheck - by working off duty.