12 hr shifts??? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 12 hr shifts???

Re: 12 hr shifts???

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    That' is funny Police and Sheriffs have been working 12hrs for years. 10 hours by far are the best 4 on and 3 off. However it doesn't matter what agency you work for. That will never happen.
    The only department that have done those types of shifts are very large ones over a thousand officers and FHP does not fit that description as FHP is state wide where those other agencies are a single city or county. Only a handful of agencies have worked 12 hour shifts.

It's not only a "handful of agencies". The FDLE Agency Profile Survey shows the shift lengths for Florida departments. The 2011 survey is the latest one posted and I changed the numbers a little because I know of some changes since then. Of the 67 Florida Sheriff Departments, 9 of them work 8 hour shifts. I know of those 9, Brevard has 10 and 12 hour shifts at various precincts and on certain shifts. I also heard Pinellas is trying out 12 hour shifts in certain areas. So a maximum of 7 work 8 hour shifts across the board. 3 of them are working 10 hour shifts and 55 work 12's. Of the 265 Police Departments in the survey, approximately 211 work 10 or 12 hour shifts, with only about 54 working 8 hour shifts. It seems that 8 hour shifts are becoming a thing of the past, like it or not. I've only worked 8 and 10 hour shifts, but I liked 10 hour shifts far more than the 8's. The 12's seem to be very popular as well. You have to remember that the length of the workday isn't the only thing that contributes to overall fatigue and burnout. The number of days worked in a row also plays a factor. Working 5 8 hour midnight shifts in a row with court time, details, overtime, etc. would also be very difficult. Not every shift is going to be liked by everyone depending on family life, seniority,etc. If you do a little research online about studies regarding patrol shifts, the 12 hour shifts are generally far more popular.
    http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/CJS ... /test.aspx

That' is funny Police and Sheriffs have been working 12hrs for years. 10 hours by far are the best 4 on and 3 off. However it doesn't matter what agency you work for. That will never happen.
    The only department that have done those types of shifts are very large ones over a thousand officers and FHP does not fit that description as FHP is state wide where those other agencies are a single city or county. Only a handful of agencies have worked 12 hour shifts.
    This post doesn't make any sense. It first states that the only agencies to work 12 hour shifts are large ones with over a thousand officers then it states that FHP doesn't fit "that description" because it is a state wide agency....well, yes it does meet "that description" of having over a thousand officers. Then it states that "only a handful of agencies have worked 12 hour shifts which as the next post proves, it just incorrect.

I hate to break it to you. ,Manatee,Sarasota,Lee,Jacksonville,Miami Dade any many more have been working 12hr shifts for years. Get out of your bubble

I would say that almost every S.O. in NC works 12's, and somewhere around 90% of P.D.'s work 12's. Actually, the state agencies are the only ones that don't work 12's on a regular basis.

From a management stand point, it makes great sense. Easy to work schedules. Four evenly distributed squads, and your done. You can figure out your day's off as far out as you want, provided you don't change squads.

DuPont, or modified DuPont are the two basic system.

Modified
    WORK M-T OFF W-T WORK F-S-S OFF M-T WORK W-T OFF F-S-S.

DuPont
    Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    1 Night Night Night Night Off Off Off
    2 Day Day Day Off Night Night Night
    3 Off Off Off Day Day Day Day
    4 Off Off Off Off Off Off Off

Then theirs 4 on 4 off.

The two DuPont's are preferred, if you don't work any OT, you hit the magic number. 161 to 171 hrs every four weeks. 4 on 4 off you will have short months, then months with OT pay.

I've worked all 3. I never want to work 8's again.

Quote Originally Posted by wantabe
    I would say that almost every S.O. in NC works 12's, and somewhere around 90% of P.D.'s work 12's. Actually, the state agencies are the only ones that don't work 12's on a regular basis.

From a management stand point, it makes great sense. Easy to work schedules. Four evenly distributed squads, and your done. You can figure out your day's off as far out as you want, provided you don't change squads.

DuPont, or modified DuPont are the two basic system.

Modified
    WORK M-T OFF W-T WORK F-S-S OFF M-T WORK W-T OFF F-S-S.

DuPont
    Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    1 Night Night Night Night Off Off Off
    2 Day Day Day Off Night Night Night
    3 Off Off Off Day Day Day Day
    4 Off Off Off Off Off Off Off

Then theirs 4 on 4 off.

The two DuPont's are preferred, if you don't work any OT, you hit the magic number. 161 to 171 hrs every four weeks. 4 on 4 off you will have short months, then months with OT pay.

I've worked all 3. I never want to work 8's again.
    If you like it so much go to work for a sheriffs office or local PD! Not everyone agrees or loves the 12 hour shifts. With FHP you will just shift all your SOAR or off-duty to your extra day off which doesnt change things much in the long run. Its still 5-6 days a week working your ass off any way you look at it.

If you like it so much go to work for a sheriffs office or local PD! Not everyone agrees or loves the 12 hour shifts. With FHP you will just shift all your SOAR or off-duty to your extra day off which doesnt change things much in the long run. Its still 5-6 days a week working your ass off any way you look at it.
    Except now the hours are restricted, so now you have to go home and come back out twice on your day of because restricted/scheduled soar hours won't allow you to work it all in one block. Too sweet

I know of a small 15 man agnecy and they do 12s, if it works for such a small agency, i think FHP can do it too.

Here is the question? If you work 12 hour shift are your accrued vacation days going to equal 8 hours or 12hours.

Here is the question? If you work 12 hour shift are your accrued vacation days going to equal 8 hours or 12hours.
    Ours is based on hours worked, every forty hours is so many hours vacation. I'd have to pull my book out to know how many. We are not charged vacation till we fall bellow 160 hours in a four week period. Then your only charged till your balance equals 161.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast