Officers leaving - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Officers leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    what happened to big max?
    He went away to camp.

8408 has been hiding out where has he been.

He is a retired sgt working for another agency there in Lee County! Not a bad guy really!

Quote Originally Posted by guest2113
    He is a retired sgt working for another agency there in Lee County! Not a bad guy really!
    I agree he is good people.

if you are talking about the HULK D.S. I agree, I hear he is doing a bang up job for the County

As this new years begins dispatchers shoud really thank your Communications and Logistical Support Bureau Leader for taking a deep look inside themselves and sending out something positive besides areminder all the time how replaceable dispatcher's are. Good thing they perform there assigned duties or this email may not have been possible and moral might have taken another hit. But while we are looking words up there are some popular ones.

MORALE [noncount] : the feelings of enthusiasm and loyalty that a person or group has about a task or job The company has been struggling and employee morale is low. [employees do not feel happy or enthusiastic about their work]

BULLY [noncount] : someone who frightens, hurts, or threatens smaller or weaker people
    Definition of a Positive Workplace There are many definitions of what constitutes a positive workplace where associates (employees) are happy and motivated. There are many ways to create a positive workplace.A positive work environment can mean the difference between success and failure for an organization. There are many ways in which managers and supervisors can create positive workplaces for their associates. To begin, they must define what a positive workplace is by establishing good relationships, improving teamwork, and fostering innovations.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Subject: Updates and Staff

Hello Everyone –

With the New Year almost upon us, I (along with Deputy Chief ******) wanted to update you as we have been advised that there may be some concern over what is happening (or not happening) in the city.

As you all know, we (the City) are trying to recover from several years of issues with pay, benefits, parity and budgetary deficits. The first step was that we needed a favorable result for the City Council elections, which thanks to all went in our favor. The next step was the Fire Services Tax, which was hard to read but at this time, went in the favor of city management; we must still wait until late January 2014 due to the option and “threat” of appeal to the ruling before making any changes to the preapproved budgets and plans.

Once all of the political issues have been settled, as originally relayed by Interim Chief ********* during his meetings and again by myself in verbal communications with staff, it is our intent to move forward with attempts to realign the pay parity for staff that have been negatively affected over the last few years. I have heard comments that I am not doing enough for you, or that if we (Department) wanted to we could force the issue – it is not that easy.

Since mid September, we have been preparing documentation to assist with needed figures and statistics, so we can do whatever is needed to move the process along. Of course as you all know, there are certain things, which will have to be negotiated due to fair bargaining practices, but we hope to see progress. In addition, the City is still going forward with its compensation study, which will affect many if not all positions within the city, in hopes to bring salary to comparable and competitive levels within the area.

Our staffing and training continues … we have been extremely lucky, and have had some great people join our staff over the last two years still bringing our overall staffing level up to numbers higher then we have had in years. Unfortunately, as sometimes the case, we take a few steps forward and then a few steps back, but that is something that we cannot always control. We will be losing two staff in January, but please know that we will continue to train our current staff and hire new staff as needed to bring our levels up to those of fully staffed. With the recent staff changes, there will be a few moves coming along soon so watch for that to cover the shifts. All changes will be set by January 18th, 2014.

For years, many of you have heard me say repeatedly, you are here to do a job, and to suggest that you keep your personal and professional life separated. You are adults, and you are expected to come into work to do the job you have been hired to do. You are expected to perform as a team and you are expected to be professional, you are not required to enjoy a personal relationship outside of the center with your coworkers.

Most of you understand that this job, no matter what your classification is, requires teamwork. Please review your job descriptions, as I have heard some of you may have forgotten what your actual job duties include.

In addition, the “schedules and use of time” is another hot point: On behalf of your co-workers, please do not play games with your schedules, you are only supposed to work 14 days a month. Let each of you try to plan your appointments to work your assigned days, the assistance to your co-workers by trying to work your scheduled hours (exceptions would be unforeseen circumstances or scheduled leave) would be appreciated.

This job requires teamwork. I do not know if there is confusion as to the explanation of teamwork, or more so as to the explanation of professionalism.

According to Merriam-Webster, Teamwork is: Work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole

According to Merriam-Webster, Professionalism is: The conduct, aims, or qualities that characterize or mark a profession or a professional person
    For clarity: Conduct “The way that a person behaves in a particular place or situation, the way that something is managed or directed.” Character “The way someone thinks, feels, and behaves: someone's personality”

Most problems which have come up time to time, are associated with personal interactions not work related functions. These rivals go round and round and settle once the personal issue has settled, in the past, we have tried to thwart these issues, but as we grow – there is less we can do. I cannot tell you who to hang around with or who to avoid – but I can tell you this; and expect it to be very clear once and for all, everyone shall remain professional while working within this center and while dealing with coworkers.

I am tired of hearing, well after the fact, that “so and so” did this, or did you hear what “so and so did”, and nothing happened. Action cannot be taken on “I heard” or “I was told” or “no, I don’t want anything to happen”... if no one takes the responsibility of relaying the facts for investigation, a rumor of what “happened” is just that, a rumor as there are always other sides to the story, that often affect the facts.

When something occurs within the Communication center that makes YOU uncomfortable, or which would be considered unprofessional or makes YOU feel targeted, YOU are to put it in writing to YOUR Supervisor and Cc Manager ********* and myself. Bottom line, even the infamous “so and so” needs to be held accountable.

Each of you has the right to come to work, perform your assigned duties, collect a paycheck and have a normal life, outside of these for walls. Everyone, please take a deep look inside yourself and make those changes as needed to help make this a 2014, to be proud of.

Communications and Logistical Support Bureau

NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from city staff regarding city business are considered to be public records and will be made available to the public and the media upon request. Therefore, your email message may be subject to public disclosure

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234