All things 1% - Page 2
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All things 1%

1%

hhhmmmm, maybe you should run????????............you already turned in your petition to run.....petitions had to be in a week ago..............you know you are planning to run

why not have someone there that is going to retire in 3-5 years. That is a ignorant statement. You need someone that is educated about our investments, some one who is honest, someone who is looking out for those who are leaving in the near future and for the long run. Talk to Nazur and you will see he is interested in doing what is best for the fund, which of course benefits him, you and everyone else.

the best bet is to ask ramras, tapanes, pinera, and kerr about their knowledge of investments, look at their pasts, consider their integrity and go with the best two, tapanes and pinera

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus11
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowner
    we just need better, informed ppl in there that have no need to leave in the next 10 yrs
    I couldn’t agree more, we shouldn’t keep electing members that are 3-5 years from retirement. Ive been here nine years, hmmm, maybe I should run.
    Where the f--k is our raise or stabilization as you call it Boy Kerr? Stop concerning yourself with trivial matters, WTF is our money?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    hhhmmmm, maybe you should run????????............you already turned in your petition to run.....petitions had to be in a week ago..............you know you are planning to run
    I hear you Frank, I hear you. The statement was tongue in cheek.

why not have someone there that is going to retire in 3-5 years. That is a ignorant statement. You need someone that is educated about our investments, some one who is honest, someone who is looking out for those who are leaving in the near future and for the long run. Talk to Nazur and you will see he is interested in doing what is best for the fund, which of course benefits him, you and everyone else.
    just how do you work in IA after that little episode............keep our money safe.............you young guys talk to the vets to find out some history about what happened on the board before you vote
    The attacks are flying about the Lieutenant but I haven’t heard a thing about the other candidates running. For the first time in a long time two of the three seats are up for election. I have had several conversations about who would be running for the board. My biggest fear was having two members voted onto the board with no experience. It was during one of these conversations that Ramras’s name was brought up. He served on the board for nine years (yes during trying times) and was the chairman for several of those years.
    I respect Lieutenants Bishop and Zirk and I trust their opinions. They both felt that the fund could be in jeopardy and needed trustworthy individuals on the board. The second problem is the longevity issue. I’m the only candidate running that dosent have one foot out the door, I’ve got about 15 more years to do here. I respect all of the candidates that are running but I think we need someone who has served in the past. The only member running that has served before is Ramras.

the best bet is to ask ramras, tapanes, pinera, and kerr about their knowledge of investments, look at their pasts, consider their integrity and go with the best two, tapanes and pinera

I wouldn’t ask any candidate about their integrity. I respect all of them and I would trust any one of them to serve on the board. What I think the board needs now is a mixture of stability and longevity. Ramras and I fit that bill and that is why I’m asking for your vote. Do what is best for the fund, not what is best for a select few.

Sign your name,

Kerr

kerr

what mixture of stability and logevity do you bring. The board needs integrity. Pinera brings that.

Is Ralph Tapanes running? Is Rick Nazur running?
    If they are,VOTE for them! They are experienced brothers and wont do what others have done in the past.

What Tapenes has been then what a whole what 2 or 3 months lot of experience there. Buddy you better start to learn a little bit about Nazur he needs to go before he really screws up the fund. The only experience left there with comman sense is Doug Rice.

Why Not Have A Private Company Handle It?

Quote Originally Posted by 1%er
    What Tapenes has been then what a whole what 2 or 3 months lot of experience there. Buddy you better start to learn a little bit about Nazur he needs to go before he really screws up the fund. The only experience left there with common sense is Doug Rice.
    Why not have a private fund managing company likes the below listed ones assume this function, for a nominal fee?

http://www.ingretirementplans.com/index.shtml

http://www.principal.com/

Others may be better, just shop around for the best value for your investment!

Lets see,Rick never works off duty and lives in a mansion! He spends his free time studying the market and making money.

Ralph Tapanes left the dept as a sgt.,returned yrs later and after taking exams is a LT.! Hummmm,,,,,
    Doesnt that sound like 2 capable guys???

I dont know who Pineira is but Kerr and David,{he has been in 1% for yrs,including Warshaw case} dont look like a better candidate to me?
    Anyone else?

ONE PERCENT FUND

As someone who has just reitred my money is safe, because I will receive at the next meeting. People have to think about the current investment plan, that has made the fund lots of money. The only voted board member left was not around for that plan, so think about your money, because mine is safe and vote for someone who, know about investments. Who ever thought that Nazur has money, need to do there homework.

Thank GOD, I have my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerr's comments

Dear Mr. Kerr:

I find myself having to respond to comments you made on this site after a frantic member of our 1% Fund called me at home after reading what you wrote.

I have never had the pleasure of sitting down with you and discussing issues of mutual concern. I have asked people about you and the general response has been favorable, that is why it puzzles me to have read such a careless and reckless statement from you.

You wrote; " I respect Lieutenants Bishop and Zirk and I trust their opinions. They both felt that the fund could be in jeopardy and needed trustworthy individuals on the board."
    And your second comment; "The second problem is the longevity issue."

What did you mean by these statement? Are you saying the Fund is in trouble and the remaining Trustees are not trust worthy? Lets exam your comments carefully and the Fund's performance for a moment.

1. The Fund has been in existence since 1960, thats 47 years and the only 2 times the Fund has closed out the year with a negative return was the years 2001 and 2002 (911 & recession).
    The Fund's performance record as it relates to the above statement is better than the Dow Jones, Standard and Poors, and all the Russell indexes.

2. I just checked on the close of the Fund's performance for this quarter. The Fund is down approximately 5.5% to 6% this quarter (unaudited, final figures out after audit).
    Compare that to the whole equity market which is down approximately 15% and the mutual fund markets are down approximately 12% to 13%.
    I, just like everyone else, would have preferred a positive instead of a negative this quarter but taking into account the economy/markets are in the toilette I think the Board has done
    a dam good job persevering the Fund.

3. The Fund has paid out more money in benefits in 47 years than it has taken in. The Fund closed out the 2007 year with historical $$ numbers. I will not post
    exact dollars figures on this site because it is a public site. Please refer to the December 2007 quarterly information letter I sent out with your statement, all the historical figures are listed.
    The Fund has generated an approximate average yearly return of 10% since it's inception in 1960.

Yes two long time Board members just retired within the last 3 months, but this does not mean the Fund is running blindly. First, I have been on the Board as a Trustee for the last 8 years and I am not even in the DROP yet. Second, the appointed Board member has been on the Board for 15 years. The Financial Consultant has been with our Fund for 34 years, and the Fund's legal consultants have been with us for approximately 15 years. The Administrator has been with the Fund for 9 or 10 years (don't exactly remember) and our in house accountant approximately 6 years. ALL TRUST WORTHY INDIVIDUALS. So please put your mind at ease, the Fund will continue to operate without any disruptions.

THE FUND IS SOUND AND IN GREAT SHAPE AND WILL CONTINUE TO PAYOUT BENEFITS FOR THE NEXT 47 YEARS.

The Board realized back in January 2007 of the pending retirement of 2 Trustees. In the First quarterly news letter in 2007 we advertised the creation of a succession committee and asked that any member interested in being trained to serve on the Board to apply. Two individuals stepped up and became involved. Throughout the year both Lt. Ralph Tapanes and Sgt. Ron Ramming starting attending meetings on their own time, educating themselves with the Fund's operations, management, and laws, and attended the Fund's semiannual Money Managers Conference meeting. In December Lt. Tapanes was unanimously approved by the Board and appointed to replace retiring member Bill Bishop. On the eve of his appointment, Sgt. Ramming, for personal reasons, decided not to accept the appointment to replace Martin Zirk. City Ordinance created the Board and establishes how to replace vacant positions on the Board.

By way of the Ordinance Lt. Tapanes must run in April to remain as a permanent member on the Board and the second opening will be to fill the vacancy created by Lt. Zirk's retirement. Because of my position as a Trustee I must and will stay neutral on the election issue and I am not advocating for or supporting anyone candidate.

As to your comment "I wouldn’t ask any candidate about their integrity." When it comes to electing a member for this pension board, or the FIPO pension board, or any board with a Fiduciary responsibility and obligation to its members, integrity, honesty, competency, values, and knowledge must be looked at in all candidates. These are very important traits in one's character when the members elect a person to manage their money and future.

Dan, my doors are open to you as well as all the members of the MPD, as they have been since my election to the Board. Please call me or visit me if you have any questions about the Fund. I will be more than happy to help answer your concerns. The Fund is very transparent and we operate in the sunshine. Are meetings are held on the third Wednesday of every month and ALL members are encouraged to attend. I only ask one thing from you and all the rest of the candidates, please please refrain from spewing rumors and false information about the Fund during the campaigning. All this does is create unnecessary worries with our members (as it did with the person who called me this evening) and hurts the Fund.

Good Luck to all candidates.

Thanks,
    Rick Nazur
    Secretary/Trustee
    Miami Police Relief and Pension Fund (1% Fund)

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast